WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much AT have you hiked, and were you armed?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    accuracy is not terrible, main problem is after about 3 rounds the trigger guard has chewed the skin off your finger - if you ever had a real reason to use it, that would be minor
    Maybe...but who wants to have their skin chewed off during the process of getting familiar with the weapon and it's capabilities; pros and cons?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Images

Because surely we don't want to advocate someone carrying a lethal weapon without having an intimate understanding of it.

-

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Maybe...but who wants to have their skin chewed off during the process of getting familiar with the weapon and it's capabilities; pros and cons?

everything is a compromise, for under 12 oz with 5 rds, it is not a bad choice if you cannot hike without carrying, since it is well established that the chance of use is so slim - a thin glove for practice alleviates the skin problem

Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    everything is a compromise, for under 12 oz with 5 rds, it is not a bad choice if you cannot hike without carrying, since it is well established that the chance of use is so slim - a thin glove for practice alleviates the skin problem
    7 rounds (with 1 in the pipe) of buffalo bore hard lead. Not the most accurate pistol even with a crimson trace laser, but its meant to be a close in when all else fails weapon. To that degree, it fills its purpose.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    I am ex-military, and I am a gun enthusiast. I do carry concealed, and I don't carry because of the boogey man, or because I'm afraid. I carry simply because it's my right to do so as laid out in the constitution of the United States of America. That's it. That's the reason. I fought for it, I was ready to lay down my life for it, I volunteered to put my life in harms way whenever my country needed me. All for that founding document. It's because of those choices that I will exercise every right I possibly can, and I would hope every American would do the same so as to honor every military member before me and after me that made those same choices for every citizen of this country.
    Well said!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

I'm not obsessing nitewalker, just pointing out that when you use phrases like "guns are great" and "why would you have one unless you are afraid of the boogie man" they are seen as nonsensical statements that have now immediately closed off consideration from your target audience of anything else that may have potential merit. Those are pot stirring words and you lose credibility with them. Just my perspective. The only people that know I carry are my loved ones. And in response to your observation that cops and military guys have more training than hunters, beside the fact that a good percentage of hunters are, or were, one or both, I feel confident that I have much more range time than many cops or military members. All the training in the world isn't very useful if you don't actual fire your weapon on a regular basis. I'm not trying to be adversarial, and I do enjoy a healthy debate. I am only pointing out that your chosen words are probably not going to come across with credibility to those whom you want to engage in the discussion. But... I could be :-) wrong.

so the phrase guns are great bothers you. should i have said guns are ok, guns suck??? the boogie man comment is an obvious attempt at some humor that you missed. the boogie man is not real.. the remark about cops, ex cops, hunters and military is a general statement on who may use guns ON the trail. u said yourself that your a hunter thus giving credibility to my statement. im sure if you look most[ not all] of the people carrying fall into one of the four groups i mentioned. why because they are more familiar with guns.. i do apologize for some of my descriptive words that i used in my statement. this is on the AT not at home. i still say there is no need for a gun on the AT....thats all i have to say on the matter....

I think it's awesome when everyone shares their opinion on this subject. It's interesting. I can see both sides, no prob.

Here's my opinion.

I've never been properly trained to handle a gun. Until that changes, I wouldn't ever consider carrying a gun. Duh!
    (I did go to the shooting range, with my son, for the first time a few months ago. It was kinda fun trying to hit the target. LOL!)

If I was properly trained, I might consider carrying on the AT. I feel more vulnerable, on the trail, than I do anywhere else that I normally go on a daily basis.

If I knew of a trustworthy person that was packing heat, on the trail, I would not avoid them at all but would rather feel safer if I were hiking with them.

I also like DocMahns post a lot!

Outside of hiking the AT with a weapon... I know several people who carry all the time. I have known them for a long time and over time I found out they carried. However, they go to great lengths of not advertising they are carrying and they are very responsible with firearms. It is their right and a personal choice. I also know many people who do not carry as a personal choice. If you are going to carry on the AT I would expect the same attitude, care, responsibility, and behavior as my friends. No one needs to know you are carrying.. why would you do otherwise.
    I can Bearly Stay off the Trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    so the phrase guns are great bothers you. should i have said guns are ok, guns suck??? the boogie man comment is an obvious attempt at some humor that you missed. the boogie man is not real
    The phrase does bother me, yes. It denotes a childlike fascination and indicates a less than serious or responsible attitude towards a very serious tool. And because you don't believe they are "great" anyway, it take away from any argument you are making. The second statement is just as concerning. If you are trying to make real points about a very polarizing subject, then it's tough to do so through condescending humor. You may have well said that those who carry are afraid of their own shadow. I think you will find that most people that are willing to brave the nasty elements and daily pitfalls that come with hiking multiple days, or weeks, or more, are not the kind that easily wilt or cower. I happen to just be a very normal guy that enjoys a variety of activities, including shooting. I don't always carry (which has its own inherent flawed thinking), simply because FL weather makes it difficult to do effectively many days. But i enjoy my right to do so when I choose. And just as I do when in the backcountry, I practice situational awareness. That is still the number one defense against things that could be problematic.

Images

A friend of mine and I have had this discussion. We're both in law enforcement and were recently geocaching when we came into an area in some backcountry that made us feel very uneasy, and we were both glad we were carrying guns - just in case. I'm going on a hike soon with about 8 others and mentioned to him, "I don't think I'll carry this time, there's nothing the 9 of would run into together that would possibly require the use of a gun to get out of". His reply was simple, "If you DO run into something unfortunate, and have to pull out your gun, most people would be saying 'wow, I'm glad someone had a gun!' ". I'd prefer a smaller one for hiking, mine is kind of bulky. I'd also prefer a revolver. Yeah, I know everyone likes the thin little automatics, but a revolver is almost bulletproof - so to speak. There's no slide to jam, no magazine spring to fail, no misfeeds to worry about, no dud ammo to clear. Pull trigger, Bang. If no Bang, pull trigger again. Nice and simple, especially if the threat is right on top of you and you are jamming the gun into it's belly and pulling the trigger. In that case there's no time to diagnose problems.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by GitRdone View Post
    Outside of hiking the AT with a weapon... I know several people who carry all the time. I have known them for a long time and over time I found out they carried. However, they go to great lengths of not advertising they are carrying and they are very responsible with firearms. It is their right and a personal choice. I also know many people who do not carry as a personal choice. If you are going to carry on the AT I would expect the same attitude, care, responsibility, and behavior as my friends. No one needs to know you are carrying.. why would you do otherwise.
    It's only those flaunting thier guns you need to be concerned with.

And I am a huge fan of yours Hikermom! You always bring "good" to this forum, which in turn brings stability to the "hot" topics. Sometimes we get a little overzealous and we neer hikerMOM to sort us kids out ;-)

Agree..............................

I've seen a gun brandished twice in my life, both times were at a Waffle House. The AT is NO place for firearms.

The poll is showing about what I would have expected, about 15% carry. I'm guessing tho that 85% are okay with it but like me dont carry. I own a lot of guns, enjoy shooting, but I'm not afraid to walk down a trail or street without one, I'm much more likely to die from some stupid action of mine like falling off a cliff or out of a tree putting up a tree stand in the dark 20' off the ground...one of these days I've got to come to the realization of how old I am......but not today.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I dont carry on the trail, but i can tell you that both an S&W Airlite .38 and the Ruger LCP fit nicely into the hip pocket of a ULa Catalyst...Just sayin.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

I carry concealed, But Im more concerned about some hoplophobic individual making a false 911 call jeopardizing my personal safety due to their irrational fear or lack of understanding. Then I am of a confrontation with a criminal were my firearm would be needed. ..

Quote Originally Posted by RobUgly View Post
    I carry concealed, But Im more concerned about some hoplophobic individual making a false 911 call jeopardizing my personal safety due to their irrational fear or lack of understanding. Then I am of a confrontation with a criminal were my firearm would be needed. ..
    LOL I haven't seen that term used in a long time.

It is amazing how hot and bothered some folks get when someone breaks the law about carrying a gun but could care less when illegal drugs are displayed...consumed...shared...promoted...and encouraged on the trail.

Just seems like a double standard as prescription drug abuse, alcohol over use, and the associated stupidity are just as if not more dangerous.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
++ New Posts ++