WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Best Book on Hiking in Hawaii?

My wife and I may try to take a trip to Hawaii this year and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good book that gives an overview of trails and places to hike on the Hawaiian Islands.

I would like to do the Kalalau Trail, but I don't think my wife is gona go for that one.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

i spent about 3 months traveling around hawaii back in the day- hithchiking, sleeping on the beaches, backcountry, etc. I usually used the Lonely Planet guidebooks and then picked up local hiking guides when there. Which island are you going to be on? If Maui, don't miss hiking in the Haleakala crater- awesome! They've got a couple of back country huts but we just slept in the lean-to for the horses. There are some nice campgrounds too.
    The big island has got some great trails and the mona loa park is great. Lots of weird people in Hawaii though, unless you are a tripped out new-ager, then you'll feel right at home. Some of my favorite times though in Hawaii were swimming on the beaches off the beaten path with the many green sea turtles around the big island...very cool stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Israel View Post
    Which island are you going to be on? If Maui, don't miss hiking in the Haleakala crater- awesome! They've got a couple of back country huts but we just slept in the lean-to for the horses. There are some nice campgrounds too.
    The big island has got some great trails and the mona loa park is great. Lots of weird people in Hawaii though, unless you are a tripped out new-ager, then you'll feel right at home. Some of my favorite times though in Hawaii were swimming on the beaches off the beaten path with the many green sea turtles around the big island...very cool stuff.
    Haven't really picked an island yet. The trip is stil in the planning stages. I did see a Lonley Planet guide for one of the islands at my local Half Priced Books. I may pick it up.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Don't know about books... but one hike I'd love to do is from the summit of Haleakala down to the town of Hana. (On Maui.) The scenery is really quite out of this world. You'll need a permit, as far as I know -- but it ought to be easy to get. My wife and I did a couple hours of that walk... I'd have loved to keep going.

Default Hawai'i

Lonely Planet has a book called Hiking in HI. http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary...=1199896360591

I have the book and did some research a few years ago, but still haven't been there.... the Kalalau Trail is definitely high on the list of where to hike as is Kauai in general.

Images

I was looking through Amazon wher I came across Hikers Guide to the Hawaiian Islands. Anyone ever checked it out? It reviewed better than the Lonely Planet book, but there are only a small number of reviews for both.

Is there a good online source for trail guides or detailed topo maps?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default book

we used this one on our honeymoon in 03 and liked it.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Don't know about books... but one hike I'd love to do is from the summit of Haleakala down to the town of Hana. (On Maui.) The scenery is really quite out of this world. You'll need a permit, as far as I know -- but it ought to be easy to get. My wife and I did a couple hours of that walk... I'd have loved to keep going.
    Haleakala is truly an amazing place- one of the few places I've been where you can sit on the summit and look DOWN on the sunrise over the ocean- incredible.
    Hana is a cool town. Lots of cool state parks with campground along the hana highway too with black sand beaches, etc. Very cool The 7 Pools area has some awesome scenary and places you can camp out on the point right above the ocean- awesome! Bring a hammock!!! I really ought to scan my old pictures from those trips.

And if you're not hiking Haleakala, by all means do the bike ride from the summit to the ocean. 40 miles, 10,000 feet, no pedaling. It's a gas. The town Paia (where the bike ride ends) is interesting also. Hippie haven!

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    My wife and I may try to take a trip to Hawaii this year and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good book that gives an overview of trails and places to hike on the Hawaiian Islands.

I would like to do the Kalalau Trail, but I don't think my wife is gona go for that one.
    I'll be on the Big Island (the one called Hawaii) in a month...I go every year. I like "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed". It's not a hiking book per se, but covers some hikes along with quite a few other activities. It is, as you said, "a good book that gives an overview of trails and places to hike". They put out Kauai and Maui editions too; the company is Wizard Publications.
    I've done quite a bit of hiking there. Pictures from last year are HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    And if you're not hiking Haleakala, by all means do the bike ride from the summit to the ocean. 40 miles, 10,000 feet, no pedaling. It's a gas. The town Paia (where the bike ride ends) is interesting also. Hippie haven!
    We did this when we were on Maui. They picked us up about 2am at the condo, drove us to the town nearest to Haleakala where they showed us a short film about the ride and safety. Back in the van up to the summit where we waited for the sunrise. AWESOME! Then onto the bikes for the ride down. We stopped about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way down for lunch at a local restaurant, then resumed the ride down to the beach. Definitely worth it!
    Trillium

++ New Posts ++