WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dry salami, the kind that hangs up in the grocery store is perfect. Johnsonville sausage is the prefered brand of dry salami. The other stuff will last a few days if not refridgerated, just remember to keep it cool in your pack and keep ther plastic on it exposing very little to an openning. Their is enough preservatives in there to choke a horse...just remember to eat it up as soon as possible.

Images

Oh, summer sausage seems to keep forever! Seemed to me it did as well as beef jerky on the trail. I never even knew about it until I started hiking down south. I only just last week discovered a supermarket up north that carries it, and I couldn't be more excited! It's the best thing ever!

Quote Originally Posted by DSoTM View Post
    Unfortunately around 2000 the Monroe County Health Dept came in and issued violations stating the sausage had to be refrigerated as it was a health code violation. End of that great dry sausage.... *****ing County Morons.
    I'm sure you can get the properly shrink-wrapped (name brand) stuff at Wegmans. Might not be that authentic ethnic stuff, but it'll do just fine for hiking. Damn, I wish we had Wegmans in Boston.

Fermented sausage like the Czech, real Italian and such can be identified by hanging on a string in the store. Flies and other critters can't get through the wax paper/casing, but Americans can't stand the idea. Like good salt pork and smoked ham, it can last a very long time without refrigeration.

The usual stuff sold in malls and grocery stores aren't quite the same, processed with a lot more chemicals, flavorings and colorings. Plus they seem to be mostly fat and gristle.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default summer sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I bought a few of those Hilshire Farms beef summer sausages to take with me hiking...around 4 or 5 inches long....on sale after Christmas...

I am wondering if everyone chances keeping these things a couple days after opening, since it says refrigerate after opening on there......it is too much to eat in one day. Or only use them in cold weather ??

Or do you pretty much need to force feed / share and eat it in a single day ?

Puppy
    yea I read the label refigerate after opening so I put mine in a seal a bag and placed them in my garage for five days then had them for lunch they tasted fine and no I did not live on the toilet
    Last edited by Chicken Feathers; 01-17-2008 at 22:37. Reason: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Here in Thailand (average temps around 90 deg.) my wife often buys sausage at the flea market type market (local farmers and vendors only) and then hangs it up outside for a few days before we eat it.

Many family's here don't even have refrigerators. Don't know why they don't get sick on some of the things they eat (raw meat, including pork sometimes) but possibly the hot chilies they eat probably have a lot to do with it.

go for it, i sent them in my mail drops on my hike in '96 and packaged them ALL for the whole trip before i started so some were in there 5 months.

Images

just find a good Hungarian store that sales meat and other foods in your area, and you will taste the best dry salami on the planet. salami is just a thicker sumer sausage
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

I was over at Foodlion the other day and going down the meat isle. In the middle of the isle was a Hillshire Farms Summer Sausage Display. Picked one up and was reading the packaging, curious after reading this thread; and right on the lable is stated "No Refrigeration Required".

I have used this sausage for a long time and have yet to have a problem with it spoiling before I ate it up.

Images

Buy the abunch of the small size instead of one big one. Open them has needed, same for cheese.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Cured meat

It is cured. I don't know how it is cured but, no refrigeration is required.
    Lots of meats have been 'cured' and, before refrigeration, it was a method of preserving them. For instance, the best dry-cured Spanish hams (Iberico) are hung in the breeze for three years before it is cut and sliced thin to eat as it is. The cheaper hams are taken down & hung for less time. You can often buy chorizo sausage in the same supermarkets where the beef summer sausage and I consider it consderably tastier. Again, no refrigeration required for ether, ever. Both are outstanding sliced up n a bowl of cous couch or grits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++