WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default beef summer sausage -refrigerate ??

I bought a few of those Hilshire Farms beef summer sausages to take with me hiking...around 4 or 5 inches long....on sale after Christmas...

I am wondering if everyone chances keeping these things a couple days after opening, since it says refrigerate after opening on there......it is too much to eat in one day. Or only use them in cold weather ??

Or do you pretty much need to force feed / share and eat it in a single day ?

Puppy

won't spoil...no meat!

actually I have used those also while hiking and have saved them for the second day after opening by burying deep in my pack during the second day. no problems yet.

geek

I'm no expert, but this past fall I hiked with a group, and one of the members had summer sausage. We ate from it for a week with no problem. The person who brought it said it would keep for quite a few days.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    I'm no expert, but this past fall I hiked with a group, and one of the members had summer sausage. We ate from it for a week with no problem. The person who brought it said it would keep for quite a few days.

Hope this helps
    This is my experience also. Have eaten the same sausage for 3-4 days in the summer. One way to keep it cool is wrap it well in a ziplock, stick in your water bottle, add cold water, wrap water bottle in towel or clothes and store in the middle of your pack. Works for other foods too. Each time you re-up on water, check it, change out for cold water if need be.

Images

they put refrigerate after opening on a lot of stuff to cover there butts in law suits.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

Quote Originally Posted by AT-HITMAN2005 View Post
    they put refrigerate after opening on a lot of stuff to cover there butts in law suits.
    This is very true. I have also eaten such meats over several days...no problems yet!

Bigboots

Images

Agree with all of the above. I would however eat it every day till it was gone in the summer. Save the peanut butter and tuna till later in the hike.

Images

When I was stationed on the East German border, we would get them from home. It would take up to 2-3 weeks to get packages and then we woul keep them in our barracks (no fridge) for weeks at a time. Just cut off the end and discard. There are enough preservatives, you just need to concern yourself with any piece that is exposed to oxygen and might grow mold over a few days. Just don't keep pulling the skin back, just pull back as much a you are eating.

BTW, Except for the very brutal hot days of summer, Nights are relatively cool and the sausage will stay cool buried in your pack all day.
    Most nights will probably be only slightly warmer than your fridge until you hit halfway through VA anyway......

If anything, I think your more in danger from sodium and preservatives.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Not quite the same thing, but I get a good quality salami from a local Czech bakery. It hangs from hooks in the store; no refrigeration required.

Images

Wasn't part of the reason they started making sausage so that they would have a form of meat that would keep for a long time?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

It should be good for several days. Summer sausage and cheese are the mainstays of a hiking diet. Good for any season. Lots of protein and fat... just what a hiker needs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Wasn't part of the reason they started making sausage so that they would have a form of meat that would keep for a long time?

If I remember what I've read correctly, hard, dry sausage will last the longest.

If it’s a real concern, wouldn’t it be good to use a dehydrator and make some jerky?

Images

I'm a chef, and I also eat summer sausage while hiking, that stuff will last a long time, that's why alot of people take it. You'll know its bad if little white spots start growing on it.
    can't never did

Images

don`t forget the SALAMI
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Spam.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Not quite the same thing, but I get a good quality salami from a local Czech bakery. It hangs from hooks in the store; no refrigeration required.
    When I lived in Rochester, There was an old German Store that made Hungarian and polish sausage from old world family recipes. they hung hundreds of links on strings stretched out behind the counter. You could get fresh, dry, drier and driest. The drier it was the lighter it was and the more it cost per lb. I used to get 2-3 lbs of the very dry sausage and keep it in a paper bag for weeks unrefrigerated (paper bags breathe. If kept in plastic, it rots).

Unfortunately around 2000 the Monroe County Health Dept came in and issued violations stating the sausage had to be refrigerated as it was a health code violation. End of that great dry sausage.... *****ing County Morons.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Check the brands. Some will say refrigeration needed upon opening and others say that it is not necessary. Both last some time without being refrigerated. I always take one with me.
    J D Cool

Images

Even if it does go bad you won't die or anything, you'll just stay in the bathroom awhile.
    can't never did

Unfortunately around 2000 the Monroe County Health Dept came in and issued violations stating the sausage had to be refrigerated as it was a health code violation. End of that great dry sausage.... *****ing County Morons.

Isn't government wonderful???

NOT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++