WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baking bread

Default Baking bread

Is there any way?

Thanks....

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Yes, there is a way: http://www.bakepacker.com/

Very interesting and likely enough to get me by - but I'd like to bake yeast bread on the trail.

Images

Froggy, yeast breads can be baked in the bakepacker, but getting them to rise reliably in the unreliable conditions on the trail is going to be difficult.

You should into reflector ovens if you want to make yeast breads. It will be tough to have the time to proof the dough and go through all the steps for bread baking. That is why flat breads and quick breads are easier.

I'd like to bake yeast bread on the trail. I've got one recipe that might be adaptable.

This bread recipe was from a NY Times article. It works reliably at home, at 5,400 feet, and I've converted it to sourdough. I was hoping that I could adapt it to the trail:

3 cups bread flour (or all purpose flour)
    1/4 tsp instant yeast
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    1 5/8 cups water (one ounce more at 5,000 feet)

Mix, stir. Don't knead.
    Let rest 18 to 24 hours in a pot or bowl.
    Put on a well-floured place, fold on itself once or twice. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
    Using a little more flour to keep your hands from sticking, shape into a ball.
    Put on floured towel. Cover with another floured towel.
    Let rise about 2 hours. (I let it rise 2 1/2 hours.) When ready it will have doubled or more in bulk and won't spring back readily when poked.

Half an hour before it's done rising, preheat the oven to 450 deg. Put in a 4 to 6 quart heavy covered container in the oven as it heats.

Slide your hand under towel and turn the dough over into the pot. It might look like a mess but that's okay. Shake the pot once or twice to settle the dough into it.

Cover with the hot lid. Bake for 30 minutes.
    Remove the lid. Bake another 15 minutes. Loaf will be nicely brown and the internal temperature will be 195 to 205 degrees when it's done.

Remove and let cool on a rack.

Images

For a loaf that size you will have to have a reflector oven and a wood fire. How are you going to let the dough rest while hiking? Won't the 'jiggling' down the trail upset the process and make the bread tough?

Images

Bisquick. Toasted uncut english muffin. On a stick!

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Bannock

How about a (Canadian, I believe as that was where I was when I first had it) fried bread called 'bannock'. Actually, I found that to be quite good-very tasty.

I have a recipe somewhere.

You can cook it in your pot while your stove is simmering, although it is usually done in a cast iron fry pan. Now talk about a food item that injects massive amounts of calories into your body when you consume it and Bannock is it.

If I remember correctly, I was told that the Inuit in the Canadian northern latitudes where i was, near the Arctic circle, have a saying, "Bannock and lard make Indian hard". Now that was cold!!!!! and it was in their summer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Yes, there is a way: http://www.bakepacker.com/

the bake packer is awesome,i have the smally one that i use with a 2 liter alumnum pot,i use jiffy muffin mix mainly in mine neo

outback oven

the bake packer is awesome,i have the smally one that i use with a 2 liter alumnum pot
    I agree, I love mine, have made biscuits, cornbread, pizza,muffins, if you can think of it and carry it, it will bake it, best part is no mess Also can put any leftover meals in a cooking bag and use it to re warm later, again, no messy pot to clean (not that I clean mine anyway)

RAT

Images

Default Baking is a fuel hog

While I agree there is nothing like fresh-baked yeast bread, beware that either the bakepacker or outback oven will take a whole lot of fuel and probably won't work with an alcohol stove. As I recall from my old boy scout manual (circa 1958), bannock bread dough can be shaped into a coil around a "green" stick and baked over a fire, though, again it sounds like a lot of hassle for a thru-hike.

After a long day on the trail, you'll want something fast and simple I'll wager. Model T said he toasted english muffins in a pan using olive oil as shortening. You could probably do the same for bagels. Those seem like practical compromises for trail meals.

Some hostels might have an oven available and you could bake a big batch of real bread---though every hiker there will be yogi-ing some.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Walk About and Caboose made blueberry muffin mix in their cook pot and a plastic bag one morning. Best breakfast I had on the trail!

Images

I've done muffin mix in a pan inside a larger pan - put water and three or four similar size pebbles in larger pan, put smaller pan with batter atop pebbles, put tight fitting lid on larger pan and cook 20 minutes (can cozy for ten of that). It won't be browned, but it will taste wonderful.

The Southwest Native Americans have something they call frybread. I was there last Feb it was offseason and I couldn't get any but you can probably find recipes on google. Bisquick snaked around a green stick always worked for me.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Frybread is a thin fried biscuit (some recipes add a small amount of sugar to the basic biscuit recipe). To make it, make the dough, pinch off a ball of dough about 1 - 2 " around, flatten dough to about 1/4", deep-fry in hot oil (if frying in a pan with less oil, flip it to fry other side).

Muffin mix can be made into a dough instead of a batter and cooked the same way (it will be somewhat crisp like a sugar cookie when done). Cornbread can also be made this way from a cornbread mix. This cornbread and re-hydrated chili makes a mightly fine meal.

I have made various frybreads in my big pot before making the main course. The left-over oil becomes part of the main course.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Google Mary Janes' Farm. Great organic, for home, office, trail, etc. Used it exclusively on a trip to Isle Royale. Great foods and a some fry breads.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I vote for chapatis/ tortillas. You only need flour and water. Oil is a luxury.

Three parts flour and one part water. You get a stiff dough. Hand flatten a ball of dough and fry. watch for "blisters" to form. With a bit of experience you can easily estimate when browned on one side.Turn once and voila!!

Improvements on basic. Make dough at lunch and let it "rest" til dinner. Adding oil makes a "softer crumb".

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++