WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeping Warm

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    Maybe the problem is with my pad. It also may be that I put the sleeping bag around myself before getting into the hammock. I noticed on the link Take-a-knee sent me, he just used it as a quilt once he got in... I'll have to try that next weekend.
    Sorry I didn't state that, yes, by all means use it as a quilt. My wife made me a synthetic quilt from a kit from Ray Jardine:

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/qu...x.htm?g_page=2

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Maybe the problem is with my pad. It also may be that I put the sleeping bag around myself before getting into the hammock. I noticed on the link Take-a-knee sent me, he just used it as a quilt once he got in... I'll have to try that next weekend.
    Another idea as far as pads go to keep them in place is using an SPE, invented by our very own Youngblood. I've tried one of these babies out and they most definitely work. If you're interested in an underquilt, the guys at Jacks r Better make god stuff without a doubt. I've used a JRB underquilt and been very warm in it in the low 20's. I gotta tell ya though, if you want the ultimate in underquilts, order a Speer SnugFit underquilt. It is absolutely the state of the art as far as underquilts go. This was also designed by Youngblood and is worth every penny. I got to test a prototype of it last year and it was awesome. I actually had to pull off layers because I was so warm. The production model is just as good as the prototype, trust me. Just one hammocker's opinion.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

O.K, I've ordered my HH hammock, now the next step is what to use to keep warm. what are the pros/cons with quilts, sleeping bags, etc. in a hammock.
    I don't think you can go wrong with an UQ. www.jacksrbetter.com make quaility down quilts, you can have any color you want as long as it's green. They are also really helpful people if you have any questions or problems.

Spend some time in the hh and setting it up. I have a theory about them and people who give up on hammocking. I only spent 10 or 20 nights in a hh before switching. I don't think there is anything better for bugs. Pads are kind of a pain in them. I would not waste your time or money on any of there cold weather options. Do a search on them, I haven't used one but no one who has seeming to be happy with it.

I used my homemade speer from Jul to Dec this year. I spent the last month+ in shelters. I lost so much body fat that I could not stay warm with what I had. In retrospect there was options, I just didn't have the money or the forsight to see them. Plus that time of year there was no one else around to worry about.

Images

I have to say that the SPE does help with the pad problems in an HH. I ended up using my HH for 3 weeks while the Warbonnet was off getting some minor repair work done. I tried using a pad and got angry every night! When I started using the SPE most of my problems went away. I guess it just seems to hold in place better when you need it to, but still able to adjust once inside without it bunching up. Worth a try if you really want/need to stay with a pad.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default $$$$$

I tried out my hammock for the first time this weekend in my backyard. Temps were in the lower 40's at night. I used a closed cell 1/4" thick foam pad and a 40 degree bag. It took me a while to get situated in the hammock, as the pad kept bunching up underneath me. The other probelem I had was the bag would not stay under my shoulders, I suspect that if the bag had a hood on it, that wouldn't be a problem. For those of you who use a pad in the hammock, do you have any tricks to secure the pad while getting in?
    As very simple solution (if you've got the cash) is to buy a Big Agnes sleeping bag. They come with no insulation on the bottom but a large
    sleeve to insert your foam pad. Once the pad is in place the bag and pad become a single unit and alignment problems in your hammock are no longer an issue.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Hi all ,

I Slept out in my HH Expedition for the first time in cold weather last weekend. I had used it a fair amount in summer and fall. In Fall I had slept down to 40F and was comfortable. I was sleeping in or under a $9.00 fleece sleeping bag. With a windshield reflector in another fleece bag under me. Being it was near 40F I tried this system with success.
    But last friday night it was down to low 20'sF. I used the same system but put one fleece bag inside the other and the reflector inside of them. I slept in a regular mummy bag. It was a bit of chore getting in the HH with the bag around me partially and getting the pad under me. But it worked. plus I warmed up considerably due to these gymnastic moves inside my HH. But I selpt well except for one late night walk, and the few areas that were touching the Hammock without a pad under or between them. The night was not perfect but tolerable. I will continue to explore other options. But it was a nice rite of passage to spend a sub freezing night in the Hammock.

Saldy, a under Quilt is not an exception - My wife has put the clamps down on my spending on hiking gear for now. So to "preserve domestic tranqulility", I'm trying to make due with what I have, or is cheaply available.
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

[quote=Scrollner;516251]Saldy, a under Quilt is not an exception

OOOPS, I meant not an option.
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

I am heading out at the end of March (NOBO) with a Clark UL. I'm wondering which degree bag would be the best for that hammock (or hammocks in general) that time of year. I am currently planning on taking a pad and a 0 degree bag, however some have suggested I do not need to spend the money on a lightweight 0 degree bag. any thoughts or suggestions?

For those of you who use a pad in the hammock, do you have any tricks to secure the pad while getting in?
    Mainly practice.

Put it on the diagonal as suggested above, and I usually shove it a little further toward the head of the hammock than I need it. I find it tends to slide down a bit when I sit down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat13 View Post
    I am heading out at the end of March (NOBO) with a Clark UL. I'm wondering which degree bag would be the best for that hammock (or hammocks in general) that time of year. I am currently planning on taking a pad and a 0 degree bag, however some have suggested I do not need to spend the money on a lightweight 0 degree bag. any thoughts or suggestions?
    With the proper underinsulation, I would think an accurate 20 degree bag would probably be okay, but it really depends on how warmly you sleep and whether you will have any extra clothing to layer on.

Make sure the pad is a wide one that will wrap around your shoulders in the hammock, and full length.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat13 View Post
    I'd get a Jacks r Better No Sniveller quilt.http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...ng%20Quilt.htm
    Would be perfect for around the first of April. Forget about a 0° bag.
    Use your clothing as extra insulation if needed. Also consider using a Speer SPE with your pad(s) www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    You need to get some good testing of your gear done before then. You can still run into very cold temps at night and one pad could have you freezing your #$^*) off.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Also consider using a Speer SPE with your pad(s) www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    You need to get some good testing of your gear done before then. You can still run into very cold temps at night and one pad could have you freezing your #$^*) off.
    What FF said. I've been playing around with my SPE and multiple pads ( full length Ridge Rest, 1" Therrmarest ultralite 3/4 length self inflater, blue wally word 1/2 length. All in a Speer top loader and a HH Safari net-less. It really helps, and pretty well takes care of any side insulation issues. Very warm indeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++