WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Warm

Default Keeping Warm

O.K, I've ordered my HH hammock, now the next step is what to use to keep warm. what are the pros/cons with quilts, sleeping bags, etc. in a hammock.
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

Images

Default under quilt

ive only liked the under quilt. www.hammockforums.net has alot of ideas

Do check out www.hammockforums.net
    Also check the hammock camping archives on this site.
    Just Jeff has a really great site that is probably the best place to start.
    www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Default Hh

I spent last night in my HH, with the SuperShelter addition and the overcover. Also put up the tarp. I used an older Kelty synthetic 15* rated bag and the temp went to 30*. I did get a bit chilled but never was uncomfortable.
    I'm seriously considering getting a Rock Wren or Winter Wren (Feathered Friends) in order to ease the entry/exit process. I've also considered the JRB Nest as well, just can't make up my mind. I do know that I don't want to mess with the contortions needed getting in and out of a mummy style sleeping bag, and I'm not sure that a quilt would be as thermally efficient as the Wren.

I like the JRB underquilt, and when it's seriously cold also take along a Gossamer Gear thinlight (wide) for extra insulation and as a sit pad (folded). So far, this is pretty much my favorite, and I've tried RidgeRest Large (bulky but warm), the HH supershelter (limited insulation - for me only good on its own to about 40F), and a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore (I found it hard to stay on inside the Hyperlite). The RidgeRest Large is probably my second favorite set-up. I cut it at the top and bottom at an angle to better fit the hammock. It's the cheapest solution of the ones I've tried.

And also, I like a quilt better than a sleeping bag inside. It's much easier to manuever, and I frequently change sides during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I spent last night in my HH, with the SuperShelter addition and the overcover. Also put up the tarp. I used an older Kelty synthetic 15* rated bag and the temp went to 30*. I did get a bit chilled but never was uncomfortable.
    I'm seriously considering getting a Rock Wren or Winter Wren (Feathered Friends) in order to ease the entry/exit process. I've also considered the JRB Nest as well, just can't make up my mind. I do know that I don't want to mess with the contortions needed getting in and out of a mummy style sleeping bag, and I'm not sure that a quilt would be as thermally efficient as the Wren.
    HH is pointless in any conditions other than summer. unremovable bugnetting complicates everything.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I don't believe a quilt is as efficient as the Rock Wren. I have a Jardine Alpine quilt and a Rock Wren and the bag is quite a bit warmer I've found. I recently slept down to 28 F (IIRC) in the Wren with a JRB Nest under the hammock and slept really warm, that is the coldest I've been able to test it yet. I'm thinking the ultimate hammock set up will be a Rock Wren (maybe the Winter Wren), one of Warbonnet's yet-to-be produced 3/4 synthetic underquilts and one or two Oware pads trimmed 30in wide. That JRB Nest is a sweet piece of gear also.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    HH is pointless in any conditions other than summer. unremovable bugnetting complicates everything.
    Check out Headchange4u's DIY Hennessy (toploader) plans at hammockforums. He made a removeable net/top for his, if you just wanted a hammock for winter it would be a simple, inexpensive project. Mountain Laurel Design sells a 7oz netting sock that would work with that hammock also.

Bridges ice before roadways

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    Bridges ice before roadways
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Images

i use an old army surplus bag that i got for $25 and a sleeping bag liner that i got for $7 i put the videos up on my myspace page and youtube www.myspace.com/douglasofficial and www.youtube.com/sxdxfan if anyone has any questions email me at [email protected]

Images

no www. in front of the sxdxfan

I tried out my hammock for the first time this weekend in my backyard. Temps were in the lower 40's at night. I used a closed cell 1/4" thick foam pad and a 40 degree bag. It took me a while to get situated in the hammock, as the pad kept bunching up underneath me. The other probelem I had was the bag would not stay under my shoulders, I suspect that if the bag had a hood on it, that wouldn't be a problem. For those of you who use a pad in the hammock, do you have any tricks to secure the pad while getting in?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    I tried out my hammock for the first time this weekend in my backyard. Temps were in the lower 40's at night. I used a closed cell 1/4" thick foam pad and a 40 degree bag. It took me a while to get situated in the hammock, as the pad kept bunching up underneath me. The other probelem I had was the bag would not stay under my shoulders, I suspect that if the bag had a hood on it, that wouldn't be a problem. For those of you who use a pad in the hammock, do you have any tricks to secure the pad while getting in?
    Put the pad in your sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    Put the pad in your sleeping bag.
    You have obviously never tried that in a Hennessy Hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    You need an evazote pad like the Oware or Speer pads, they don't slide around. I place my pad inside the hammock diagonally, from left to right as you enter (looking toward the head of the hammock). Turn and sit down on the hammock and the edge of the pad. Get comfortable and situate your quilt and pillow...enjoy. This link will show what I'm describing:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...er/hhvid02.htm

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    You have obviously never tried that in a Hennessy Hammock.

I have one, and yes, I've done it successfully.

Maybe the problem is with my pad. It also may be that I put the sleeping bag around myself before getting into the hammock. I noticed on the link Take-a-knee sent me, he just used it as a quilt once he got in... I'll have to try that next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    I have one, and yes, I've done it successfully.
    You should change your trail name to Houdini in that case. A strait jacket would not pose a problem for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++