Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default So confused on jackets...........

I am always cold.....always. I need a light, packable and VERY warm jacket for backpacking. I've been cruising the web looking at all of the different brands and fabrics and fills and reading the reviews. All of them claim to be very warm but none of them give an actual temp rating, like "good down to 10 degrees" etc the way sleeping bags are rated. So far I'm favoring the Patagonia micro-puff (which seems to be nearly impossible to find in a small woman's size - a small man's is going to be too big) because I saw so many people wearing it last March on the AT. However I was very unhappy with Patagonia's capilene base layers - pricey and I was never warm in them, so I am suspect of their warmth claims for the jacket. I know that asking for advice means I'm going to get 20 answers with 20 different brands recommended but I'm hoping for some sort of "most popular" answer. I'm 52 and menopause is nowhere in sight so I can't hope for hot flashes to stay warm! I'm always the one woman in a room who is not too warm, not opening windows and doors, not using a fan at my desk...........
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

This is the jacket I have, and I LOVE it!!! http://www.westernmountaineering.com...2&ContentId=55

I absolutely HAVE to stay warm, this one does the trick for me and they do have women's sizes.

I don't carry any "jackets" per se. I carry a couple of base layers and a shell. Plus a flannel shirt (of wool or polyester -- not cotton) in winter. Fleece (Kombi) base layer plus shell works great for most cold-weather hiking conditions, for me.

My wife picked up a really nice jacket at Winners, which is like a TJMax up here. North Face Flight Series 900, whatever that means. Nicely made. I've wondered if the same weight in fleece or wool would be just as warm under a wind layer. Perhaps with the down jacket you wouldn't need the wind layer though.

I've you are always cold though, I suggest always wearing a knit wool vest that covers your core right down to cover your shorts. Might weigh as little as 8oz or as much as 2 pounds depending on the season. If you are alergic to wool then perhaps not, but it can absorb some perspiration while you are walking and then give some of this heat back when you stop to rest. With wool you are more able to overdress somewhat without the consequences.

Images

Default Question.........

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    This is the jacket I have, and I LOVE it!!! http://www.westernmountaineering.com...2&ContentId=55

I absolutely HAVE to stay warm, this one does the trick for me and they do have women's sizes.
    It looks very puffy. Does it seem bulky when it's on? Could I put a lightweight gortex rain jacket over it and zip it up? It says that the fabric is not very wear resistant. Any problems with it tearing easily?

Something like:
    Long sleeved wool or polyester skin layer (top and bottom)
    Wool vest
    Hiking shorts
    Down jacket

Images

Default Winners......

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    My wife picked up a really nice jacket at Winners, which is like a TJMax up here. North Face Flight Series 900, whatever that means. Nicely made. I've wondered if the same weight in fleece or wool would be just as warm under a wind layer. Perhaps with the down jacket you wouldn't need the wind layer though.

I've you are always cold though, I suggest always wearing a knit wool vest that covers your core right down to cover your shorts. Might weigh as little as 8oz or as much as 2 pounds depending on the season. If you are alergic to wool then perhaps not, but it can absorb some perspiration while you are walking and then give some of this heat back when you stop to rest. With wool you are more able to overdress somewhat without the consequences.
    We lived in Montreal for a year so I'm very familiar with Winners. They had some great stuff from time to time. While living up there I had one of the long, quilted, black, down-filled coats with the fur lined hood that about 90% of the women up there wear. It was the only thing that kept me warm enough. I can wear wool and might consider that as an under layer. I trust a Canadian to know what cold really is and how to stay warm!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    It looks very puffy. Does it seem bulky when it's on? Could I put a lightweight gortex rain jacket over it and zip it up? It says that the fabric is not very wear resistant. Any problems with it tearing easily?
    I haven't had any tearing problems so far. However, I'm not very hard on my gear either. It is puffy, but it does compress easily too. I'd go out on a limb to say you'd be able to put a rain jacket over it.

I'll be going to SORUCK and will have it with me. If I remember correctly I seem to recall you on the list of those going. Look me up and I'll be more than happy to let you check it out in person.

Don't forget that the Pagagonia stuff tends to run on the "trim" side in its sizing in my experience - at least among the micropuff line.

I have the Hyperion Jacket. At 30 degrees I use my Marmot thermals under this and a long sleeve cotton shirt. I too am the the only cold one when camping but this works well. It compacts very small to. If you get good head gear you will stay a lot warmer
    http://www.featheredfriends.com/garm...=2&selection=0
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Images

Layering is the ticket to stay warm. Several layers will keep you much warmer than one large jacket.

Capilene comes in several weights. You may have gotten the lightweight (which is denoted by a 2), when you should have bought a mid-weight (which is 3). But, your base layer alone will not keep you warm in very cold conditions. It is intended to provide warmth, but most importantly to wick perspiration away from your body. I have not heard anyone complain about capilene, usually just the opposite, so that is interesting to hear.

I work in clothing at REI and a lot of people come in with these types of questions. I always recommend a "system" that consists of:
    1. An efficient wicking base layer that provides some warmth (your capilene).
    2. A good insulating layer that you can add or remove to fit the conditions. For you, I would probably recommend a down jacket (or maybe fleece if price is an issue) and a vest (fleece if you get a down jacket (windblock is good), down if you get a fleece jacket). The combination of these 2 insulators works so much better and is so much warmer than just one or the other. The principle is that not only do you have the warmth provided by the jacket and vest themselves, but you have an airspace between the 2 that gets warmed as well as the airspace between you body and the inside layer, and provides a lot of insulation. That is the reason that layering works so much better than just 1 item.
    3. Have a warm hat that breaths. Much of your body heat is lost through the top of your head. A windblock fleece works pretty well.
    4. Don't get socks that are so thick that they constrain your feet. Restricting them too much can reduce circulation which will make them get colder.
    5. Some waterproof breathable pants (outer shell) and a pair of fleece 200, or expedition weight underwear (or 100 fleece) pants that you can wear under the shell pants.
    6. The last piece of the system is your outer shell. It should be waterproof and breathable. It provides protection against the elements and wind. With this I usually try to go light and not a big Parka type of shell. Unless you are going into very very cold conditions. The light shell (Marmot Precip or Marmot Phoenix) provides some warmth (an additional airspace) but mostly is for wind and water protection.
    Using a system like this you have many options for different conditions. You can put pieces on and take pieces off. Wear the vest alone with the shell. Wear the jacket alone with the shell. Wear everything together. Obviously weight is an issue, but warmth many times is a trade-off for the weight. It's not a light system but you can reduce the weight by shopping around, or beating it with a money stick. Buy higher fill power down, which provides more loft with less weight.

Sorry about the long diatribe, but that's my thoughts and has always worked for me.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

For long term winter camping I would recommend these two jackets from Feathered Friends, and they come in xxsmall to xxlarge:

http://featheredfriends.com/garmentp...point%20Jacket

http://featheredfriends.com/garmentp...cefall%20Parka

The Icefall Parka weights only 2 pounds but will keep you warm when sitting around camp.

I got a coat from this company recently http://www.sporthill.com/productsallZ3.php They are good for temps down to 0 degrees. I only spent $50 on mine, as I got it at an LL Bean outlet. They look pricey online, but you may want to look into it. My coat is so thin that an annoying woman I worked with recently asked me why I didnt have a winter coat when she saw how thin it was. however I was warmer than anyone else, and they all had big thick coats.
    Two Beers.

I wish I could edit my post, but since I cant- I'll just add this...
    After looking at the other links people posted, the jackets that I post are definitely not pricey. And actually, the coat I have is listed on the link I posted as the "symmetry jacket" It is listed for $85. I swear, it appears lighter than most spring jackets but keeps me warmer than my peacoat and scarf!
    Two Beers.

Images

Default cold jacket, warm heart

[quote=Mrs Baggins;502843]I am always cold.....always. I need a light, packable and VERY warm jacket for backpacking.

Hey there, Ms Baggins! Northface is the only thing that works for me...but I bet you've tried that. Have you had your levels (annual physical) checked lately? Sometimes "always cold" may indicate a hidden medical issue, thyroid or anemia. Lots of hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top works well, too. But you have to have someone cute make it for you while you stay wrapped in a warm quilt...
    I saw your post about your backpack...wish I would have known you were unloading that...I'll check back with ya when I get ready to buy one. Take care.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For my hike I used a Sierra Designs down jacket I got from Sierra Trading Post and did well with it. It was small enough that a rain jacket fits nicely over it. For late spring and into summer I went with a Montbell synthetic men's thermawrap jacket.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Great jacket. Great price and free shipping. Not bulky and offers very good warmth for such a small weight.
    http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_...wn_jacket.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Any jacket without a hood is nearly worthless much below freezing. The army's "brass man" studies concluded that a man surrounded with four inches of down, with a bare head, will be dead from hypothermia in about four hours at minus forty F. It just takes longer to die at warmer temps.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Any jacket without a hood is nearly worthless much below freezing. The army's "brass man" studies concluded that a man surrounded with four inches of down, with a bare head, will be dead from hypothermia in about four hours at minus forty F. It just takes longer to die at warmer temps.
    That's what beanies, balaclavas, etc. are for. Works for me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    That's what beanies, balaclavas, etc. are for. Works for me.
    That is true, they all work to a degree. The only hat that has any real loft (and it's always loft that keeps you warm),I'm aware of is that quilted balaclava from Bozeman Mountain Works. I'm a hammock hanger like you FF and I've convinced myself that a top quilt's main limitation is it's lack of a proper head cover. Those Backpacking Lite guys use quilts on the ground, hence the thick balaclava. Hats, etc can be lost or forgotten, an attatched hood is a little easier to keep up with, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++