WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    I've got to disagree with the hardness of this trail (its the one signed ballbuster that ends at naked ground.. correct?). It does have steep sections that are a little tricky, but they are short, and the portions in between the steep sections are bad at all.

I will agree with all the other points though, it is a good trail (going up),down might be a bit annoying (haven't give down a try though)
    My friend and I hung the sign BallBuster on the tree up on the left. It was originally carved into the official sign 25 years ago, but the sign rotted. Never heard it called NutBuster until now, but it's the same concept. It was tough when I was a young man and it's nearly a killer these days, but the pay-off at Bob Bald is worth the struggle.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Duncan Ridge Trail in GA. No question.

Someone mentioned the Coosa Backcountry Trail - the DRT includes a long portion of it and that's just a little warm-up before the kick-ass portion of the DRT..

I happen to know the DRT overseer for the section between Mulky Gap and the Benton Mac intersection. Don't hold your breath until switchbacks are installed on that portion.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

In Tennessee:
    Fiery Gizzard, if you don't wus out and take the detour around the boulder field via the Dog Hole Trail. (Grundy County I believe)

Stevenson Trail in North Chickamauga Pocket Wilderness Area (Hamilton,Sequatchie Counties)

North Carolina:
    Nutbuster in Slickrock Creek (Nantahala area)
    Summiting Grandfather Mountain in the dark, straight up the side, no trail!
    It will kick your a**!
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

My son reminded me of Mt. Mitchell which I had forgot about, did years ago.
    Tough!
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

I would suggest the Benton Mackaye Trail though the smokies. This is a rugged trail, quite a bit more difficult than the AT through the smokies, IMHO. If you go southbound you'll have a 4000 foot climb on the first day.

Images

Bly Gap to Muskrat shelter on the AT
    Shining Creek Trail (up to Art Loeb) in Shining Rock Wilderness
    Either direction out of Wesser for 5 miles on AT
    Mt. Mitchell Trail

2010 complete

Back side of Grandfather Mt. Start from 105. Ten mile round trip to swinging bridge.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Take a look at the South Beyond 6000 challenge hikes. http://www.carolinamtnclub.org/SB6K/SB6K%20Index.html

The TEHCC and Carolina Mountain Club sponser this program to all the southern peaks above 6000 feet. Some are trail, some are tough bush whack. The minimum requirements of some peaks only ask for 5 miles or a multiple summits in one day. While other ubber hikers take it from the actual bottom of the mountain.

From what I heard the MST route and some of the park trails are not all that difficult to the Mt Mitchell top. But the South Beyond challenge hike suggests the route from the Black Mtn Campground for the ultimate work out which is 3684 foot climb in 11 miles.

Then there is route doing Celo Knob & Mt Mitchell on the Black Mtn Crest Trail which is also highly difficult. 14 miles doing 4400+ feet.

Take in note, that the parkway is closed from Craggy Gardens Picnic area to Mt Mitchell. Only access to Mt Mitchell is NC 80.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

I echo Coosa Backcountry...but do it all in one day (and ignore the posted warnings against it). It's not the hands-down hardest trail around, but you'll be absolutely done by the time you finish the loop.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Joyce Kilmer in the summer, the Stecoah area in winter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    I agree. Going nobo up Roan is much tougher than sobo.
    It depends. I much prefer climbing to descending (it's the knees), so I'd rather do it NOBO. (Just went down it Saturday. What a beautiful day!)

The Fires Creek Rim Trail is short but steep in places. There's also the interesting challenges of finding water and places flat enough to camp.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Porter's Creek Manway in GSMNP is a rough route. Not exactly a trail, though.

- MM.
    aka Endorphin, AT GA->ME '04

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Most of the trails in Linville Gorge (NC).

Images

Just did Roan Mt NOBO three days ago . . . they don't get any tougher in the SE US!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettHeadley View Post
    My friend and I hung the sign BallBuster on the tree up on the left. It was originally carved into the official sign 25 years ago, but the sign rotted. Never heard it called NutBuster until now, but it's the same concept. It was tough when I was a young man and it's nearly a killer these days, but the pay-off at Bob Bald is worth the struggle.
    I was on the Nutbuster several months and noticed your nice polished "Ballbuster" sign on the tree. One month later I was on the same trail going up to Naked Ground and noticed the sign had been pulled off the nails and "souvineered" by some miscreant A-holes and it got me to fuming. Sorry to have to tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post

North Carolina:
    Nutbuster in Slickrock Creek (Nantahala area)
    Summiting Grandfather Mountain in the dark, straight up the side, no trail!
    It will kick your a**!
    Any mountain you climb-bushwack straight up the side of can/will be a terror, most especially when wearing a pack. Some become even downright dangerous, up or down. But since we're talking trails here, these bushwacks can't be categorized or even precisely located.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    Then there is route doing Celo Knob & Mt Mitchell on the Black Mtn Crest Trail which is also highly difficult. 14 miles doing 4400+ feet.
    The first climb out of Bowlens Creek was my first long climb just a few months after I started backpacking. It was a tough climb, but just a warmup for the scrambles that lied in wait ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by halibut15 View Post
    I echo Coosa Backcountry...but do it all in one day (and ignore the posted warnings against it). It's not the hands-down hardest trail around, but you'll be absolutely done by the time you finish the loop.
    The Coosa is not that bad since none of the climbs last more than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Duncan Ridge Trail in GA. No question.

Someone mentioned the Coosa Backcountry Trail - the DRT includes a long portion of it and that's just a little warm-up before the kick-ass portion of the DRT...
    I agree with DWM about the DRT NOBO. 25 miles of BLISS.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I was on the Nutbuster several months and noticed your nice polished "Ballbuster" sign on the tree. One month later I was on the same trail going up to Naked Ground and noticed the sign had been pulled off the nails and "souvineered" by some miscreant A-holes and it got me to fuming. Sorry to have to tell ya.

Any mountain you climb-bushwack straight up the side of can/will be a terror, most especially when wearing a pack. Some become even downright dangerous, up or down. But since we're talking trails here, these bushwacks can't be categorized or even precisely located.
    Yes you are correct, it was a wash out more than a trail, and it was definitely not blazed.
    I guess I was thinking in terms of areas I had hiked that were tough
    .I have bagged a few peaks, but Grandfather, well...I almost did not make it.
    It took a lot longer than planned, it got dark, and there was really no where to camp so I kept walking. But you are correct, I can not offer a trail name even though I do have the coords.

Images

baxter creek trail in the smokies is quite a ramp, although not unpleasant to hike

Default Black Mtn Crest Trail

This Hike will properly test your ability, toughest I've ever done. You also bag 6- 6000' peaks in the process.

"The trail is one of the hardest in the US and is regarded to be the hardest in the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Appalachian [COLOR=blue! important]Mountains[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]."

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    This Hike will properly test your ability, toughest I've ever done. You also bag 6- 6000' peaks in the process.

"The trail is one of the hardest in the US and is regarded to be the hardest in the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Appalachian [COLOR=blue! important]Mountains[/color][/color][/color]."

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php
    The Black Mountain Crest Trail is the same trail I was talking about in post #36.

The DRT is tougher IMO.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++