WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    It is always about what lies beyond the end... Javasanctum's Avatar

What's all this fuss about grits? I thought it was just cream-of-wheat on steroids. Maybe I should try this stuff the way you guys make it sound.
    For now oatmeal with fruit (slightly thick) is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    I carry dried Mexican peppers of various kinds. One to three kinds of dried Mexican peppers is the main seasoning I carry.

Grits with chunks of cheddar cheese (which melt instantly) and dried Chipotle is one favorite for me, or grits with smoked herring. Sometimes I carry pre-cooked bacon to add to my grits, with or without cheese. I've also boiled Jerky and added grits.

Of course just plain grits with olive oil or butter is good.

Oatmeal is less versatile ;->

Jonathan
    I would have argued that oatmeal is very versatile, but now you are describing some pretty wild assed ****. I might have to try me some. I have gotten to like cream of wheat somewhat over the years, but the only thing I really like that is gritty is corn meal muffins, with lots of butter. When I was in Abilene Texas I had some corn meal muffins that were sort of deep fried almost, and they had halepeno peppers in them. They were very good. The rest of the barbeque had me in tears. I gained something like 20 pounds when I was down there. I've never tried grits though. It's got me thinking.

I'm not sure we could do grits properly up here though.
    I thought we could do barbeque. Boy was I wrong.

Images

never tried grits. might have to give 'em a shot now after all this talk 'bout 'em?

i like my oatmeal lumpy(lyrics from a song by digital underground in the 90's)with pecans, blueberries and a dash of salt!! good stuff!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    I use the instant stuff on the trail, I like the Maple and Brown sugar flavor best. I use 1/2 cup of water by just judging the consistency. And I eat it right out of the bag it comes in, easy clean-up. Usually 2 packets will do me unless I have some of that pre-cooked bacon with it. Yummy.
    BTW, grits were not very popular where I grew up, (Middle TN) don't like them at all, dk what you put on 'em. Yuck.
    That's exactly how I eat my oatmeal. Instant Maple and Brown Sugar. Found it on sale at the grocery just tonight so I bought two boxes for my section this summer. No muss no fuss.

Grits not popular in middle tn???? since when????
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Well clotted. With brown sugar.

When I do come across a mixed box of instant oatmeals in the cupboard I go for the apple and cinammon first, and then the maple and brown sugar. I don't even remember what the other flavours are.

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    never tried grits. might have to give 'em a shot now after all this talk 'bout 'em?

i like my oatmeal lumpy(lyrics from a song by digital underground in the 90's)with pecans, blueberries and a dash of salt!! good stuff!
    What you never tried them and you are living in the semi-south now. You have to try them. Put a little butter on them or even try the cheeseie grits...awesome my friend.

TO

Does anyone else eat it cold? I pour water out of my bottle into the packet about half way up from the oatmeal to the top of the pack, mix a little and eat. Blueberry or Peaches and Cream are really the only kind I like this way, sometimes Apples and Cinnamon. That plus eating my "hot" chocolate the same way for breakfast does me just right. And plus you get to rip the packet to lick all the cream or hot chocolate powder you didn't mix up

Images

Oatmeal with brown sugar and rasins - YUMMMM

Images

I prefer my oatmeal in grit form. Cheese grits are my preferred, with a bit of salt. A bit of egg yolk makes the world even happier, but it doesn't happen much in the backcountry.

As long as you don't add sugar to grits, they make a great high carb breakfast.

Oatmeal? Umm, I've had bananna oatmeal that was swallowable. Otherwise, it's just energy paste.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

donating member; velo vermont!

on the trail or outside - instant - but i'm thinking about 'real' - tastes so much better.
    at home - 'real' - with brown sugar, apples, and cinnamon.

consistency - hard to describe - not dripping, not concrete.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Ever throw Tabasco on the oatmeal?

Nope, but every once in awhile I will put cut up peices of jerky in it.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Images

Never ate any on the trail (mostly bars but sometimes eggs/bacon), but at home I eat it everyday.

Oatmeal in an iron skillet w/ maple syrup and wheat germ added to it (pinch o seasalt).

Let the oatmeal heat up to a boil with the cold water from the start simmer on low for about 5 mins.

Sometimes bananas or strawberries-- Costs about $.15 a day for bkfast around here.
    See ya when I get there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Grits with butter and habanero sauce.

OH man Sgt. I will take the H-sauce with oatmeal before I do a grit meal again. I just cant palate them.

And I really eat everything else.. I mean like the guy on the travel channel does.

I just have 3 things I cant do. (and I dont know why)

Grits, pork roll and most other greasy pork products.

Images

HOWEVER

and I kid you not

My favorite at home breakfast is french toast and ketchup. Really

Default oat meal

You could just buy oat flour ( Bob's Red Mill) and mix this in with powdered milk or a carnation instant breakfast drink and add water, shake it up and drink-you get the beni's of oats and easy to mix.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
    You could just buy oat flour ( Bob's Red Mill) and mix this in with powdered milk or a carnation instant breakfast drink and add water, shake it up and drink-you get the beni's of oats and easy to mix.
    He He thats for the ones with no teeth

The wonders of Oatmeal...

My wife made custom made oatmeal for me on the trail.. It included home dehydrated fresh fruits, crasins and chopped fresh nuts, fax seed, Nido milk, sometimes bran, and other good stuff. The mixtures changed from mail drop to mail drop.. I ate it thick with a spoon.. A lot of times it was my best meal of the day...

Images

Hiker7s, how can you live in the Philly area and not like pork roll? I thought it was required. That's one thing that I stock up on when I go back home for a visit.

I remember getting pork roll sandwiches on the boardwalk for cheap when I was a kid.

Pork roll, Scrapple, Lebanon Bologna, cheese steaks, greasy pizza -- all the great stuff I grew up eating.

Oh, and these days I make a mean baked cheese grits <g>. Good stuff, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

quaker instant, cold water, just like my coffee singles. eat right outta the pack and go. cheese grits until you cant find them anymore or cant have them shipped. then maybe oatmeal. brown sugar or maple whatever.

in my experience, one should never listen to anybody from virginia when it comes to grits.
    hey hey, my my

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++