WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    Here is my next question fron greasy creek friendly hostel to Damascus whats the mileage I'm wondering if it can be done in 7 days I average about 7 to 10 a day
    It is about 97.5 miles. With your stated avg, I don't think you will make it in that time period...

Incidentally, Dennis Cove Rd is about 50 miles from Damascus. Some 'thru-hikers' decide this is a challenge and attempt it in one day ...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

PS. For future reference, all I am doing is substracting mileage from here (click on appropriate state for the .pdf).

Default Mtn. Harbour B&B

The breakfast at this place was the BEST I had on the trail. Even if you don't stay, stop by for the breakfast! Seriously delicious for like $5 or $6.

I love this place - great shuttle service, really excellent hiker's cabin, friendly owners. (After staying here in October for hiking from 19E to Hughes Gap, I stopped again over Christmas when I had 3 girls and a dog with me, because it was a pleasant and cheap place to put up lots of people without two hotel rooms and dealing with dog policies.)

Jonathan

5 bucks a day for the car?

Images

I've used Mountain Harbour. I thought it was a bit expensive, but the accomodations and breakfast were well above average. For a section hiker, not bad at all. If I were trying to do an economy thru I'd pass. YMMV.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    It is about 97.5 miles. With your stated avg, I don't think you will make it in that time period...

Incidentally, Dennis Cove Rd is about 50 miles from Damascus. Some 'thru-hikers' decide this is a challenge and attempt it in one day ...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

PS. For future reference, all I am doing is substracting mileage from here (click on appropriate state for the .pdf).
    I am wondering if they know they have to make that climb up to Pond Flats. I saw a few Sobos who shortcuted from the Lake to Hampton Blue Blaze.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

smart SOBOs

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Wink hahahaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    smart SOBOs
    Oxymoron...
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Images

Used Mtn Harbour for a shuttle down to Iron Mtn Gap this week.
    Parking was only $2 per night, showers when we finished were $3.
    Good folks.
    Interesting that the hostel is the top floor of a working barn that has been converted. 4 bunks and a separate room that has a queen (?) size bed. Shower stall might be a bit cramped if you are over 6 feet tall, full kitchen set up.
    What? Me worry??

Images

Mtn Harbour is a great place and the people that own it are wonderful. We stayed over-night at the bed and breakfast back in October. We had the most wonderful breakfast, they shuttled us to Indian Grave Gap at a very reasonable rate, and picked us up at Carvers Gap. They let us have free parking. We will definitely us their services again!!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    Used Mtn Harbour for a shuttle down to Iron Mtn Gap this week.
    Parking was only $2 per night, showers when we finished were $3.
    Good folks.
    Interesting that the hostel is the top floor of a working barn that has been converted. 4 bunks and a separate room that has a queen (?) size bed. Shower stall might be a bit cramped if you are over 6 feet tall, full kitchen set up.
    I stayed in that barn and the shower was the best I've had on the trail!!!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Default Utah

Great place, a must visit

Images

Amazing breakfast! Gourmet B&B quality at hiker prices.

John - great place to stop for the night. I was there at a time when there were heavy thunderstorms and they tried to amke room for everyone. The horse trailer leaks though - you're better off in a tent.

Some section hikers made reservations in advance. If you know the date you'll be there for sure, you may want to try to reserve a bed in the barn. They also have more expensive traditional B&B rooms in the main house.

Images

Thumbs up

My youngest stills talks and tells others about staying at the Mountain Harbour B&B Hostel. It ruined her. That was her very first night "on" the trail, as we drove over and spent the night there before beginning a section hike to Kincora the next morning. We stayed in the horse barn hostel with a couple other hikers. Very nice.

But the "piece de resistance" was breakfast the next morning. Linen. China. Sterling. Goblets. With the B&B guests. And the food, oh, the food!

THAT was how she thought hiking the AT was all going to be! She's done many more miles now, plus part of Georgia by herself. She still talks about Mountain Harbour.

BTW, I don't even recall them charging for us leaving a vehicle there, which I've done on two occasions. Maybe they did, but it was very reasonable, if so.

Anyway, highly recommended. In fact, I just recommended the place this week to a couple who plan to thru-hike this year.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I loved that place. There are a view pics of it in my gallery. good people. And, it is right off the trail..maybe like 1/4 of a mile or so to the west of the crossing...

Images

Had a bad shuttle experience with him. I won't ever use them again. I also won't recommend shuttle service from them. The hostel I know nothing about. But after the shuttle ride I will never stay there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Had a bad shuttle experience with him. I won't ever use them again. I also won't recommend shuttle service from them. The hostel I know nothing about. But after the shuttle ride I will never stay there.
    Bad how?
    Care to explain?
    What? Me worry??

Images

For starters I will go with speeding and passing a car on a blind turn with double yellow lines, going up to Carvers.

Mountain Harbour is a fantastic hostel. Very friendly hosts. Very reasonable rates for the hostel and set in beautiful surroundings. A friend hiking now had a great experience there. I think this would be a much much better choice than staying in Erwin. My friend hiked in so I'm not sure about the parking fees. I have to agree with Lonewolf that if it is $5 per day is high but it sure beats having your car vandalized up the street at the trailhead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++