WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    Well I guess you are just one lucky dud. When I say a tent site I mean a level spot of ground. I have pitched on the slant many times. But I have done all my hiking in the south.
    Lucky dud?? That's not very nice.
    I have had a couple stays where I wasn't on the perfect level but, hey, that's part of being on the AT I guess.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    When I get down near your area this fall will you (the Dinos) join me and another WB SOBOer for a campfire?
    Check your PMs

Images

When I hiked through Kincora two summers ago, Bob Peoples told me that the new 'wave' of shelter building is to build shelters on a slope so that you couldn't tent near them. Somehow that is supposed to stop the area from being overused. That's why he built that (relatively) new shelter that is named after some waterfall, on that steep slope. Nowhere to tent nearby.

Shelter builder??? any comments on this???
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

no shelter was "needed" in that area. might as well pave the trail too

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    When I hiked through Kincora two summers ago, Bob Peoples told me that the new 'wave' of shelter building is to build shelters on a slope so that you couldn't tent near them. Somehow that is supposed to stop the area from being overused. That's why he built that (relatively) new shelter that is named after some waterfall, on that steep slope. Nowhere to tent nearby.

If the roof is anywhere near flat, I might find a place to tent regardless. . .

Images

Thanks for the info. That sorta makes since. I would see all the hard work that was done on these areas and wonder why they did not level any spots.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 01-26-2008 at 14:34. Reason: format error

Default Not everywhere, LW...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Just in the Eastern half of PA where the people in charge of trail and design have f'-all understanding of what differentiates a TRAIL from random bushwacking. (Hint for them: it's more than occasional, 10-YO blazes and decent shelters...)

Images

Where is this shelter? How far is it from other shelters / camp sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Where is this shelter? How far is it from other shelters / camp sites?
    tennessee. 9.5 miles past apple house shelter. 10 miles before moreland gap shelter. there's 3 campsites in that 20 mile stretch

Journal Entries

Charlie Gilman, who designed most of the recent Maine shelters, has died. A retired Navy Lt. Commander, he is scheduled to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery on Monday I believe.

He was the designer of the last shelter I worked on, the East Branch shelter north of Whitecap in Maine. The detail of his work was amazing. Each tree to be cut down was marked and the precise location of each chainsaw milled plank noted.

REgardless of what you think of shelters -- and I think they are an anachronism -- a lot of loving care by very dedicated people have gone into their design and construction.

Weary

Images

tennessee. 9.5 miles past apple house shelter. 10 miles before moreland gap shelter. there's 3 campsites in that 20 mile stretch
    Sounds like the shelter rats complained they were having to {gasp} tent in this area
    Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Charlie Gilman, who designed most of the recent Maine shelters, has died. ..... Regardless of what you think of shelters -- and I think they are an anachronism -- a lot of loving care by very dedicated people have gone into their design and construction.
    Noted, Weary, and may Charlie rest in peace.

That's an interesting theory. Is this just in Bob's area or is this a principle from the ATC for the entire trail. Will need a lot of big shelters to accomodate all the hikers in the congested areas. The "shelter rats" need tenters/hammockers or else there will be no room in the shelter, especially in Georgia. Although that would be kind of funny to film 100 hikers at a shelter fighting for a space.

Images

what a crock o' *hit

Default crock

Maybe you should be a bit more specific? I use the phrase quite frequently in response to others statements, but then its usually clear as to what I am responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Maybe you should be a bit more specific? I use the phrase quite frequently in response to others statements, but then its usually clear as to what I am responding to.
    It's OK. you missed the theme. It's actually quite funny and can be found in a number of threads.

MS, our large group is always kept under 10 by choice on backpacking trips. I wouldnt worry though, we would never have dreamt of overcrowding you in a motel or hostel for multiple 0's.

Images

my opinion holds that one shouldnt set a tent up in a shelter. if you dont like shelters, wonderful, more room for dusk arriving hikers like myself. i would also like to point out that sleeping at an angle in a shelter, so your poor feet dont hang off the end, while you take up three spaces, is also rude. using speakerphone on your cell in the morning while other people are still asleep also takes the cake. i enjoy a great campsite as much as the next person, but sometimes, shelter stays are the money! go hiking!
    hey hey, my my

Its curious how everyone has an opinion about the proper etiquette regarding shelter use, yet I wonder why those same hikers just don't bypass them altogether and do what is the most logical solution and camp self sufficiently.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    That's an interesting theory. Is this just in Bob's area or is this a principle from the ATC for the entire trail. Will need a lot of big shelters to accomodate all the hikers in the congested areas. The "shelter rats" need tenters/hammockers or else there will be no room in the shelter, especially in Georgia. Although that would be kind of funny to film 100 hikers at a shelter fighting for a space.
    I was under the impression that this was an ATC principle. Not just Bob's area. Mountaineer Falls, I believe, is the name of this shelter if my feeble memory serves me right. Wasn't there one near this spot previously that was burned down?

I don't like staying in shelters and wouldn't mind seeing most of them gone, however, being the hypocrite that I am, I do still use them when weather is bad. I do tent near them, only cause of the convenience they supply for cooking and gathering water.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I was under the impression that this was an ATC principle. Not just Bob's area. Mountaineer Falls, I believe, is the name of this shelter if my feeble memory serves me right. Wasn't there one near this spot previously that was burned down?

I don't like staying in shelters and wouldn't mind seeing most of them gone, however, being the hypocrite that I am, I do still use them when weather is bad. I do tent near them, only cause of the convenience they supply for cooking and gathering water.
    Yeah that's the shelter, I missed it last year, might check it out this year.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++