WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Wm Caribou Mf - Warm Enough?

Last year I blew out my knee. I've got the go ahead and I'm going the light route for obvious reasons. I am going to section hike on 2nd week in May and will be starting at Dicks Creek Gap GA up to Winding Stair Gap NC. Do you think the WM Caribou MF will be warm enough? I know WM are very true to temp. I am generally a warm sleeper, except when alot of moisture in the air. I would layer up and use turtle fur cap. I appreciate your time in replying and value your opinion.

Images

all i can add is that i've had my Caribou down to 27*F while wearing duofold lightweight longjohns, a fleece hat, and some socks, and i'm a cold sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    all i can add is that i've had my Caribou down to 27*F while wearing duofold lightweight longjohns, a fleece hat, and some socks, and i'm a cold sleeper.
    That's the input I'm hoping to hear.

Images

I just bought the Caribou last month. I have not used it yet but I did research it.

Images

I forgot, I started a thread about this a couple of months ago, you can get more info there. One other plus is its made in America.

Images

You'll probably be quite comfortable in that bag. If, by chance, there's a cold snap while you're out, you can make it work for you by choosing warmer campsites, etc.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    I forgot, I started a thread about this a couple of months ago, you can get more info there. One other plus is its made in America.
    I guess running a search should have been my first move huh...lol...ugh
    Thanks I found your thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    You'll probably be quite comfortable in that bag. If, by chance, there's a cold snap while you're out, you can make it work for you by choosing warmer campsites, etc.
    Last year we could have had warmer campsites if we didn't have the fire ban. The ignorant person that decided to burn literally on the trail probably was comfy though.

In MORE reading the WM Megalight has similar weight and 5 degree difference. to 30.
    Heck I don't know*sigh*
    I get pretty anal when it comes to spending this much money on a bag...lol
    Thank you for your reply Marta

Images

WM bags are expensive, but worth every penny! i have the alpinelite and i love it!

Images

The normal low in Franklin, NC 2nd week of May is ~47* and a record low of 30*. You should be fine with the WM Caribou on this hike. You can wear all your dry clothes if you experience record cold temps on your hike.

I would buy a Mont-bell UL SSDH #4 if I was buying a 35* bag. Western Mountaineering makes great bags true to the rating, but I like the freedom of movement the SSDH gives, and M-B bags are true to ratings too. I can opine on both since I have the WM Alpinlite and a MB SSDH #0.

Marta is saying don't pick a ridge if there is a cold front, pick the leeward side of a slope and not in a bowl for your campsite, as cold settles at the low point.

I typically use a JRB Nest 2.5" loft down quilt this time of year in GA.

Enjoy your hike.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Caribou is a nice bag. Megalite has a draft tube over the zipper, and is baffled (Caribou is sewn through), so Megalite is a few degrees warmer. You really can't go wrong with either bag. I've had my Megalite down into the mid-teens with appropriate clothing.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I did Springer to Neel's gap last year at Mid May. I carried a Sportsman Guide 50 degree bag. With a Poncho liner to supplement. temps got down to lower 40's one night. I was fine.

Your 35 degree bag should be great.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Thank you DAKS,BigCranky,Egads(awesome knowledge/info) can you tell I'm a noob..lol. And teblum...my avatar is a pic from Neels at the blaze on the Walasi-Yi.

I just got a deal from a BPL member! Megalite for $230 wooohooo!
    and I'm pending on a Six Moon Designs Starlite pack for $125 including shipping!

Today is a good day.

Thanks again everyone

I own a Caribou and it absolutely rocks down into the mid to low 20's. I've taken it to around 10 and moist with a Patagonia down sweater on and midweight wool leggings. I use a single wall tent just an inch or so longer than I am tall, so the hood and feet of the bag contact damp tent walls. I've never had moisture penetrate my bag; I just wake up and wipe the dew off of the head and feet with a bandana. I am 6' tall and a little over 200 pounds. make sure you have enough girth if you get the mega, I think it's narrower.

Default caribou question

Does the WM Caribou have completely sewn-through stitching, or is it baffled to create boxes in which the down can loft? Do you notice the lack of a baffle along the zipper? That is, do you get a lot of air-flow through the zipper?

Hike smarter, not harder.

The Megalite is the big bag (shoulder-wise). Mine is so gorgeous, I almost fantasize about it. But the Caribou would probably work fine. You could always carry a bivy like a TiGoat to get it lower, without adding much weight. Good price on the Megalite though.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Does the WM Caribou have completely sewn-through stitching, or is it baffled to create boxes in which the down can loft? Do you notice the lack of a baffle along the zipper? That is, do you get a lot of air-flow through the zipper?
    you're mixing techniques. the caribou is sewn through, meaning the stitching forms large square boxes in which the down lofts. quilted might be a better term. baffles are something else (long tubes that overlap). you don't notice the lack of a bafflle along the zipper the same way you don't notice it when your fall coat doesn't have one... it's just not cold enough to matter. if it did get that cold, the 35* rating wouldn't be enough anyway. a heavier winter coat might have some sort of overlap, but it's designed to be comfortable at a much colder temp. make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by DAKS View Post
    WM bags are expensive, but worth every penny! i have the alpinelite and i love it!
    Western Mountaineering OR Feathered Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    you're mixing techniques. the caribou is sewn through, meaning the stitching forms large square boxes in which the down lofts. quilted might be a better term. baffles are something else (long tubes that overlap). you don't notice the lack of a bafflle along the zipper the same way you don't notice it when your fall coat doesn't have one... it's just not cold enough to matter. if it did get that cold, the 35* rating wouldn't be enough anyway. a heavier winter coat might have some sort of overlap, but it's designed to be comfortable at a much colder temp. make sense?
    thank you! i'm wondering if i'd get get cold where the stitching is---does air come through there? confusing question, i guess----i guess i'm trying to find out if this bag works as well at its temp rating as a baffled bag of the same rating would.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    thank you! i'm wondering if i'd get get cold where the stitching is---does air come through there? confusing question, i guess----i guess i'm trying to find out if this bag works as well at its temp rating as a baffled bag of the same rating would.

The temperature rating that WM gives is accurate. It takes into account the disadvantage of the sewn through construction technique. At the temps it is designed for, you should not notice any cold spots. I assume (I know, not a good thing) that they compensate for the sewn through sections by adding slightly more loft in the rest of your bag - so your body's temp stays warm overall.

I have a Caribou, have used it down into the lower 40's with no problems. In fact, I didn't even zip it closed, just used it as a quilt. I wouldn't worry about cold spots. I also use a silk liner to keep the bag clean, so that is a factor also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++