WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Default Baltimore Jack as Inspiration!!!

Alright, I know that there alot of us that still smoke, and many of us have tried quitting numerous times in the past. Now seeing as Jack has managed to quit (and buddy I believe you've done it for good seeing as you've made it over 100 days!) I have decided to give it a go again once and for all, and I wanted to see if anyone here on WB wants to give it a go as well at the same time. What I am thinking is starting on Monday or February 1st. Setting a date is a big part of success and so I am thinking Monday because work is a great distraction for those first 72 hours. Who needs those stupid nonsmoker forums when we got WB. We can encourage each other to stay quit and use the trail as a focus for why we are quitting. I just know I want to be hiking 30 years from now, and the thought of COPD, Emphysema, or Cancer just isn't something I want to deal with.

Now Orangebug has told me many times that the best way to do it is cold turkey as it gets the nicotine out of your system faster than anything, and that it also has the highest success rate. So I will be going cold turkey, although to each his own.

So the call goes out to see if anyone else wants to join me in making our lives on the trail better as well as our over all health. On the day we settle on I'll start a thread in the health section and whenever you're having a rough time, just go there and talk it out. I think together some more of us maybe can get this habit kicked and gone, heck if Jack can give it up, then why can't more of us?

Also I know this isn't straight forward, but please don't post anything mean spirited, try to stay positive or humorous. Non-smokers feel free to chime in as well, we need all of the encouragement we can get!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

start today. right now. it's the only way. monday schmonday

[quote=Almost There;513256]Also I know this isn't straight forward, but please don't post anything mean spirited, try to stay positive or humorous. [quote]
    Shut up!!

You can do it!
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    You can do it!
    Smile, that avatar is really starting to freak me out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    start today. right now. it's the only way. monday schmonday

Yeah I thought about it, but I'm going with a doctor's advice to set a date, and seeing as I don't smoke during the day in a work week, it might be easier to get over that first three day hurdle. So I'm aiming for Monday, no more cancer sticks!!!
    Walking Dead Bear

any doctor worth a **** would tell you to stop immediately. my opinion of course

My first time on the trail ('06) there was talk of people who started smoking on the trail. What a ridiculous concept I thought 6 weeks before I started smoking (for the first time in my 40 yr life).
    So now I also have to figure out how to stop. A really nasty flue the last week and a half helped tremendously. Not that I'm suggesting to seek out a nasty flue bug, I'm just saying I've gone from about a pack a day down to about a cigarette a day in the last week and a half.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

A story ...

Many years ago I was reading my daughter (now 31 years old) a bedtime story and tucking her in. As I stood up to leave the room she said ..."Daddy, when are you going to quit smoking ??" ...I paused and then explained to her that I wanted to quit but that I was under a lot of stress and cigarettes were my way to deal with it. She had a puzzled look on her face so I asked her why it was so important to her that I quit smoking. She looked straight in my eyes and said ..."because I want to have a Daddy when I grow up".

Call it what you want ...karma, timing, or maybe just her choice of words -- but I gave her a kiss on the cheek, reached in my pocket and pulled out a half pack of smokes and threw them away. I've never touched another cigarette.

True story. I needed a good reason and my daughter gave it to me. I probably owe her my life.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Great story 'Slog.

Images

any doctor worth a **** would tell you to stop immediately. my opinion of course
    Orangebug and I have talked some about this many times and the reason why is so that I can clean out my car, and wash most of my jackets, etc. The idea is to get rid of as many triggers as I can before quitting. The goal isn't to quit today only to start up in a week again, the goal is to do what is necessary in order to quit for good!!! That being said, I know you mean well and want me to be successful in this, so I appreciate what you are saying man!
    Walking Dead Bear

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    My first time on the trail ('06) there was talk of people who started smoking on the trail. What a ridiculous concept I thought 6 weeks before I started smoking (for the first time in my 40 yr life).
    So now I also have to figure out how to stop. A really nasty flue the last week and a half helped tremendously. Not that I'm suggesting to seek out a nasty flue bug, I'm just saying I've gone from about a pack a day down to about a cigarette a day in the last week and a half.

Quit!!! Don't do it anymore, I have done what you are doing the last three times I tried to quit, and eventually a cigarette turned to 3 then to 5, and finally I was smoking like I had before. Trust me man, it will happen, I kick myself when I think about the decision to just have one after going almost a month the last time I tried to quit!!! If you are just having one a day, you don't need them at all! I know you can do it!
    Walking Dead Bear

orangebug isn't an oncologist. quit now! **** triggers or other psychobabble. you either smoke or you do not smoke.

Images

orangebug isn't an oncologist. quit now! **** triggers or other psychobabble. you either smoke or you do not smoke.

Tell you what if I am still smoking when I see you again, I owe you a case of PBR!!! Hopefully the thought of buying you cheap beer will keep me honest!!!
    Walking Dead Bear

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 01-26-2008 at 20:08.

Setting a quit date is fine but if you get the idea to quit and fired up to do it right freaking NOW, then do it. I done it both ways and either works if you have the right frame of mind.

Quit today or Monday, makes not difference, just quit.

Um, are you wearing a sign? Something like: "Give me space, I just quit smoking!"

Images

The reason why I am setting Monday is because I haven't quite gotten the wife over the fence to quit, by starting on Monday, I am at work all day long, then I coach after school so I don't get home till later, it keeps me from biting her head off and fighting. After the first week, I still have those mood shifts but they're not as bad. If I quit right now, guaranteed we will fight tomorrow as I will be with her all day when she smokes. I need that around me as little as possible for that first three day period. I have quit three times now, and this has been the most successful method for me getting past the first week. After that I just gotta say no when thinking about just having "one" cigarette.

Distractions work best for me early on, and on this weekend distractions are at a minimum! If I have said I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it!!!
    Walking Dead Bear

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

L. Wolf is right, any Dr. should tell their patient that no matter what they do for them, the smoking will screw up their work and kill ya, stop puffing first.

Cool. It's a go (or quit) for Monday. Stick with it. We are rooting for you.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++