WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

The patch worked for me. The minute I put it on, I didn't even think about smoking. No cravings, no thoughts, no smoke in my lungs. After one and a half weeks, I got up one morning and forgot to put one on. The thought of smoking never entered my mind once all day. That was it. Haven't had a craving since and that was over eight years ago.

Funny, about two years later I was driving down the road and reached across the seat to grab my smokes, where I always kept them while I drove. I thought, 'what the **** was that about?' and laughed myself silly. I didn't have a craving, just on auto pilot, very weird.

I had quit twice before, each time I got pregnant, but resumed shortly after that. DUMB! Know in your heart if you pick up that first cig, it's over. Don't do it. Drive by the idiots that stand outside in the freezing cold to smoke, and be thankful it's not you.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    ~Drive by the idiots that stand outside in the freezing cold to smoke, and be thankful it's not you.
    Spoken like a true, reformed smoker! Congratulations, you made it.
    Roland

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino seen quaking at thought of Baltimore Jack as a role model :::

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Spoken like a true, reformed smoker! Congratulations, you made it.
    Don't know if this is a jab at me or not. I'm not a snob about it. My smoking friends are more than welcome to light up in my house, car, whatever. I don't care. Smoke in shelters, I don't care. But ya gotta wonder at folks that would withstand freezing temps to be controlled by a cigarette. Maybe it's my independent spirit. I was controlled by an ex husband, nothing will have control of me now. Not a husband, not a cigarette, not the naysayers that say I 'shouldn't' hike alone cause I'm a woman.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

[QUOTE=Almost There;513298]The reason why I am setting Monday is because I haven't quite gotten the wife over the fence to quit, by starting on Monday, I am at work all day long, then I coach after school so I don't get home till later, it keeps me from biting her head off and fighting. After the first week, I still have those mood shifts but they're not as bad. If I quit right now, guaranteed we will fight tomorrow as I will be with her all day when she smokes. I need that around me as little as possible for that first three day period. I have quit three times now, and this has been the most successful method for me getting past the first week. After that I just gotta say no when thinking about just having "one" cigarette.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 01-26-2008 at 20:09.

I was controlled by an ex husband, nothing will have control of me now. Not a husband, not a cigarette, not the naysayers that say I 'shouldn't' hike alone cause I'm a woman.
    As well said as I've seen in two years on this site.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    start today. right now. it's the only way. monday schmonday
    what a crock o' *hit

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    what a crock o' *hit
    I'm sensing a pattern here.

Kirby

what pattern?

I was controlled by an ex husband, nothing will have control of me now. Not a husband, not a cigarette, not the naysayers that say I 'shouldn't' hike alone cause I'm a woman.
    Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Kirby
    yeah.refreeman is being a girl

Apocalypse (Greek: Ἀποκάλυψις -translit. apoca'lipsis, meaning literally: the lifting of the veil), is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the majority of humankind. Today the term is often used to mean "End of planet Earth", which may be a shortening of the phrase apokalupsis eschaton which literally means "revelation at the end of the æon, or age".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Kirby
    You seeing that too, huh?

well, "what a crock o' *hit "

Images

I don't wanna quit. I love smoking. I smoke when I want one, not controlled by them. Usually only when I'm drinking though, or at hiker events.

If I have too many I get grossed out and stop for awhile. I won't get addicted as I've been a casual smoker for 6+ years. Didn't have any cigs on the AT or PCT, but I lit one up as soon as I got to Manning Park, Canada!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

yeah.refreeman is being a girl
    what a crock o' *hit

Don't know if this is a jab at me or not. ~
    A jab? Nothing could be further from the truth. I was offering my congratulations, for quitting.

Because of the way you described smokers huddled outside in the cold, I know you'll never go back.
    Roland

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I don't wanna quit. I love smoking. I smoke when I want one, not controlled by them. Usually only when I'm drinking though, or at hiker events.

If I have too many I get grossed out and stop for awhile. I won't get addicted as I've been a casual smoker for 6+ years. Didn't have any cigs on the AT or PCT, but I lit one up as soon as I got to Manning Park, Canada!

Yep, I used to tell myself that too, ten years ago, only smoke when I drink never more than 5 in a day, did that for the first 5 years I smoked, then the real world came crashing down and I've been up to a pack and a half a day in the past. Today I'm less than half a pack a day max, and during the week less than 5 cigs a day, but I know it's time to quit, no point in continuing. That being said I hope you're right A-Train, maybe you are, but my grandfather who is 83, never smoked much, quit in his thirties and got diagnosed with Emphysema last year. Granted he'll probably be dead before it gets bad, but still, makes you wince when you think about it.

Wolf, you know I love ya'!

I'm really not in that bad a shape I work out 4-6 days a week(just got back from lifting and had to get my WB fix), but the point is I wanna lose weight and I just think about how much easier certain things would be with a full lung capacity.

I appreciate some of your positive attitudes! And know that those giving me a hard time about doing it today, still would be happy for me if three months from today I'm going strong.

That being said, I know there are others of you still smoking out there, too many people I've seen puffing on the trail to know that everyone here isn't smoke-free, so who else is gonna join me in getting healthier for the trail...and life?
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

As in "dessert" not "desert"

any doctor worth a **** would tell you to stop immediately. my opinion of course
    I quit, and I set a date. My doctor said that was fine. I've been quit for more than three months now after twenty years on 'em. My doctor still ain't worth a ****, but that's not why.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    As well said as I've seen in two years on this site.

Thanks, and where do I find all these cool smilies???

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    A jab? Nothing could be further from the truth. I was offering my congratulations, for quitting.

Because of the way you described smokers huddled outside in the cold, I know you'll never go back.
    That's cool. I wasn't sure, I know how some quitters get all Nazi on other smokers and I didn't want people to think that's what I meant.

Thanks, and where do I find all these cool smilies???

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys-ad-007.php

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++