WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default More on abandoned gear

I can't believe Stumpknockers find of abandoned gear on 1/15/08 has gone uninvestigated ....... I have searched the internet and found that at least one person is missing in this area. They have just reopened the search for John Bryant who went missing in NC, but have moved it south because of Merrideth. Who is to say that Hilton did not abduct a young person at Locust Cove Gap before heading south (or after) and the camp Stumpknocker found is the result. Stumpknocker should have contacted the authorities immediately. The site did not look that old to me though. Notice how the leaves had been removed from in front the tent in a "perfect line" so as to not track them inside and the water in the bladder is not frozen at the tube end. The leaves covering the cooking gear could have been kicked there by other hikers "checking out" the site or as the result of a scuffle during an abduction, it had to be resent(at that time) considering no new leaves had dropped in front of the tent. Don't you think that even a young inexperienced person would take the hand warmers with him/her even if he/she was leaving the woods. The camp site is very suspicious and should be investigated. I am guessing no one has reported it because they do not want to be investigated themselves or don't have TIME to answers questions. Is THE HIKE more important than helping a fellow hiker. I thought thru hikers look out for each other ... it makes me think twice about doing my planned hike. I would hate to be out there injured or worse and know that other hiker pass by and just shrug their shoulders. I guess I am making enimies here. It's been 11 days since his find yet no one has reported it. I don't know who to contact to report it. Can't someone near there report this. Or give me a number to call and I will report it! Does anyone besides me even CARE!

I think most of us share your concern, but your questioning of Stumpknocker is overboard and is an obvious sign that you've never met him. He is one of the great people you will ever meet on the trail.

Images

No I have never met him but I have been reading his journals for over a year. That is why I could not believe he did nothing. He is a very concerned person about "things" on the trail. For him to ignore such an obvious situtation knowing that this time of year there are FEW hikers that would come across this I just feel it was his RESPONSIBILLITY to report it or to have his transcriber report. Who else is out there???? He said he has only seen one other hiker at that point so wasn't up to him to make sure someone was not hurt or needed help. He said nothing about looking around to make sure someone wasn't injured he just ASSUMED it was abandoned. How is he going to feel later if it turns out it was something bad that happened and he just SHRUGGED it off. I personally use his journals as a learning tool and will continue to do so but I say "shame" on him. If he did more but did not say so in his journal then I apologize- but he should have reported it.

you're out of line. get in your car and drive to the area and check it out if you;re so concerned. or call the ATC

Sounds to me like you could learn alot more from his journals than physics. Starting with Grace.
    Til then, take a pill, get over yourself a little, breathe, maybe PM him and inquire nicely what the specifics are beofre you go judging. If after you have ALL the specifics and you think there is more you can do, pick up the phone and do your best.

I'll have to re-read, but I thought I read that he mentioned it to someone at a store or something. I got the impression they reported it.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I'll have to re-read, but I thought I read that he mentioned it to someone at a store or something. I got the impression they reported it.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=214688

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're out of line. get in your car and drive to the area and check it out if you;re so concerned. or call the ATC
    what a crock o' *hit

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

LEOs are aware of this abandoned campsite as a result of Stumpknocker's report.

Why voice your concerns here? Are you expecting someone else to make a call?
    I agree, report it if you feel the need.
    "Shame" is a pretty strong word.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

concerning Lone Wolf's remark ... I have been reading your comments here for a long while ... you have no concerns for anyone but yourself, not even the AT and your sarcasm is reknowned so you have no room to speak to me in any such matter. NUF SAID TO YOU!

I am expressing a serious concern and I have read Stumpknockers Guest Book - others who he knows have expressed concern and he has not answered their remarks - why would he answer mine .... someone he has never heard of before. I am trying to get someone - IN THE AREA - to either investigate this themselves or CALL SOMEONE that can check it out. I am too far away to do anything but raise a stink strong enough to get something done! And I repeat give me a number to call and I'll do it myself ... I just don't know who to call IN THE AREA that can get there SOON. I have definitely learned from this to get emergency numbers for each area I will be hiking through. IF Stumpknocker were having to wait to do his journal like he normally did than I could understand his delay in reporting ... but he has boasted about his new phone and the ability to instantly transmit data ..... so why would he not call 911 when he found the site ... herhaps he didn't want to look foolish to the police... it is NEVER foolish to report a possible accident. If he were on the streets instead of the trail it would be consider criminal to leave the scene of an accident. All I am asking is that someone HELP ME get a report to the correct authorities to have this "abandoned" campsite investigated ...THERE MAY BE ANOTHER MERRIDTH OUT THERE SOME WHERE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    concerning Lone Wolf's remark ... I have been reading your comments here for a long while ... you have no concerns for anyone but yourself, not even the AT and your sarcasm is reknowned so you have no room to speak to me in any such matter. NUF SAID TO YOU!

I am expressing a serious concern and I have read Stumpknockers Guest Book - others who he knows have expressed concern and he has not answered their remarks - why would he answer mine .... someone he has never heard of before. I am trying to get someone - IN THE AREA - to either investigate this themselves or CALL SOMEONE that can check it out. I am too far away to do anything but raise a stink strong enough to get something done! And I repeat give me a number to call and I'll do it myself ... I just don't know who to call IN THE AREA that can get there SOON. I have definitely learned from this to get emergency numbers for each area I will be hiking through. IF Stumpknocker were having to wait to do his journal like he normally did than I could understand his delay in reporting ... but he has boasted about his new phone and the ability to instantly transmit data ..... so why would he not call 911 when he found the site ... herhaps he didn't want to look foolish to the police... it is NEVER foolish to report a possible accident. If he were on the streets instead of the trail it would be consider criminal to leave the scene of an accident. All I am asking is that someone HELP ME get a report to the correct authorities to have this "abandoned" campsite investigated ...THERE MAY BE ANOTHER MERRIDTH OUT THERE SOME WHERE!!!!
    Did your prescrition run out. After you've refilled it try doing something productive about your concern other than finding an internet website to join and immediately start belittling it's long time members who are the best of folk.
    Or just piss off.

wrong honey. if you knew me in person, you'd laugh at me. i'm a good person. maybe you are too. selfish? just the opposite. don't take me or the stupid internet so serious. you said some stupid stuff about stumpy. period. Call the ATC if you're so concerned

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

...THERE MAY BE ANOTHER MERRIDTH OUT THERE SOME WHERE!!!!
    Well, actually... there *are* a lot of Merediths out there.

Thomas

Images

ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO MY PLEA - GIVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL!!!! you keep telling me to call but NOONE IS GIVING A NUMBER! If someone had called the right number when Merridth disappeared maybe she would have been found sooner. Or maybe someone else just shrugged it off. This has nothing to do with the ATC I need a LOCAL NUMBER around Stecoah or Cheoah to call IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOT ALREADY REPORTED IT!

Lone Wolf - I AM NOT YOUR HONEY! you are too young for me :-)

warraghiyagey - it's people like you that think "a PILL is the cure for everything", that don't have clue as to what is going on in this world! Maybe YOU need to take PILL!

Ms Liteshoe - I did not mean to offend anyone. I admire your accomplishments but you must admit even you have "put a few stones in Stumplnockers pack!" I can not quote right now where you said it but I remember reading in a past journal "years ago" where you told Stumpy "shame on you". I am sure he is going to get a kick out of the thread as I am sure HE realizes I meant no personal insult to him.

Thank you for your comment Refreeman

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    LEOs are aware of this abandoned campsite as a result of Stumpknocker's report.
    Can you enlighten me as to this statement?
    Are you saying you know for sure it was reported?

Journal Entries
    Images

Tomorrow is Sunday, it's not but about a 3 1/2 drive to where he saw it. Go to bed now and drive up in the morning and check it out yourself???

Images

concerning Lone Wolf's remark ... I have been reading your comments here for a long while ... you have no concerns for anyone but yourself, not even the AT and your sarcasm is reknowned so you have no room to speak to me in any such matter. NUF SAID TO YOU
    Well, it's quite obvious to me and everyone else that reads this that you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Are you so computer illiterate that you can't do a search for the ATC phone number? You've got to come on here causing a commotion, belittling two of the best hiker friends a person could make? Making impassionate pleas for someone to please give you the phone number??? Well, it took me all of 5 seconds to do a search and find the phone number. here ya go

Phone: (304) 535-6331

Now, make the call if you're so concerned, and keep your trashing of hikers that are loved by many to yourself.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO MY PLEA - GIVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL!!!! you keep telling me to call but NOONE IS GIVING A NUMBER! If someone had called the right number when Merridth disappeared maybe she would have been found sooner. Or maybe someone else just shrugged it off. This has nothing to do with the ATC I need a LOCAL NUMBER around Stecoah or Cheoah to call IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOT ALREADY REPORTED IT!
    GRAHAM COUNTY SHERIFF
    Sheriff - Russell Moody Email
    45 South Main Street
    PO Box 622
    Robbinsville, NC 28771
    Office (828)479-3352, Jail (828)479-8650, FAX (828)479-6599

Yes, I know for sure it has been reported.

If I reported every abandoned camp I found over the years, I'd be snitching out for the most part the local boys to Forest Rangers and that's definitely not something I want to get in the habit of doing. When I see a tent or a tarp or an air mattress left on the trail or in camp, it's only a cause for concern due to the LITTER. As in, who's gonna hump this garbage out?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++