WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trout Fishing / Backpacking Trip

Me and my girlfriend have heard that some fishing can be found close to us, we live in North Alabama. We want to backpack in, setup camp..fish all day.(spin cast trout fishing--lightweight style) ..doesn't that sound fun...?

Anyways, we would like some tips on where to go...smokies? We hope we can get some tips here on ol whiteblaze......

lay low, drive slow

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A lot of the trout streams in the Smokies were heavily affected by the drought. There is a fishing outfitter in Maryville that supposedly knows some really good spots.

My dad does Watauga River in between Watauga Lake and Boone Lake in East Tennessee. Just spins in, and bam...big fish.

Dennis Cove is also a great trout stream. Laurel Fork near roadside is hatchery feed waters. There is some good fishing from Dennis Cove Road to Hampton Blue Blaze.

But if you want some really good fishing, head up the Laurel Fork Trail (next to Dennis Cove Campground). Some parts are still hatchery waters. But if you want a good hike, you can walk the AT south to Lacy Trapp and loop down to Laurel Fork Trail. Nice waterfalls back there. But if you go all the way back to Frog Level, the trout back there are awesome. Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel knows exactly where to catch.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I would suggest somewhere in GSMNP. lotsa stream already ruined by spincasters and bait fishermen. Fly fishing is the way to go.
    Seriously though, you can set a base camp and hike to many stream from your camp. check out cades cove.

pt
    before washing your jeans shorts, pre-treat by throwing them away.

God made trout to be caught with a fly rod. lol

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

You can get a nice packable "pack rod" for trout. In Alabama, try the Sipsey river..they stock it frequently.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Hazel and Eagle Creeks in the Smokies are both good. I would also think about Snowbird Creek near Hooper Bald and Slickrock Creek near US 129.
    Getting lost only makes things more interesting.

The Toccoa River in N. Georgia is some of the best fishing in the Southeast IMHO. BUT, please keep your treble hooks and corn out of the trout streams. Thanks!

Look into fly fishing for trout. It'll change your life.
    Andy Pittman

Try out Hazel Creek in GSMNP. I finally went there last Sept. to canoein, hike in and flyfish. Had a great time. But the fish are really spooky in the wild side of the pask. Stealth is the key to success.

Check regulations and permits before you go, they are different in Smokies, Cherokee, Pisgah, etc. Smokies has a single hook, artificial only rule that you must follow. No outside live bait should ever be brought into the park.

++ New Posts ++