WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default VA-MD Trail Magic

What are the do's and don't's of trail magic? I don't think things are worth doing unless they're done right so I'm hoping thru's (not planning mine until 09) can give some advice. There is a group of VA hikers who want to get out and leave some gifts but we wonder when the best time of the season is for VA-MD when the most hikers will be coming thru and what are the most valued acts of kindness on the trail?

Ideas we've had so far:
    1. Water caches - dropping collapsible 5 gallon containers off at shelters with no water and returning to pick them up a few days later.
    2. Food/beverages - burgers and dogs, homemade meals, coolers with chilled drinks, groceries, etc.

NEVER leave anything unattended. Period. hikers are self-sufficient. they don't need food.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

If you really want to help people out-- and they shouldn't really need it, as Wolf says-- then it might be nice to drop some gallon jugs of water at some of the areas without any. But in a real drought, sometimes not only hikers are interested in water. Animals sometimes raid the water jugs.

Leaving food unattended is a bear/raccoon/skunk magnet. If you bring food you'll have to stand there until people come and get it, or leave something non-perishable in a hiker box.

Images

One thing NOT to do is to leave cases of bottled water. I hiked through lower VA last fall. Around a couple of the major road crossings cases of bottled water had been dropped a hundred yards up the trail. What was left as I passed was the cardboard box, plastic wrap and a bunch of faded empty bottles. Basically just a big trash pile. While I'm sure it was well intended it looked terrible.

So, unless you plan to go back and police the area don't leave anything.

Whereas passing along the trail near the settler's museum I found a nice bag tucked up in a tree. It had oatmeal packets, cocoa, powdered creamer, etc... And you could tell that it was maintained. Due to the placement, I assume the museum caretakers take it out in the morning and bring it in at night. That was nice.

:Scratches head at responses:

First off, I'd never even THINK of leaving food unattended. I know hikers have their own food, but when I'm out for a few weeks having someone show up and offer me a home cooked plate of lasagna and fresh garlic bread would be incredible. Do the majority of thru-hikers not feel the same way? I've only ever sectioned so I can't fully relate to thrus. If it's not such a great idea, then we won't do anything like that but need some other, better ideas in place.

And is water really that big of a deal to leave? Maybe if critters are a concern it would be better at a road crossing rather than a shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHiking View Post
    There is a group of VA hikers who want to get out and leave some gifts but we wonder when the best time of the season is for VA-MD when the most hikers will be coming thru and what are the most valued acts of kindness on the trail?

Ideas we've had so far:
    1. Water caches - dropping collapsible 5 gallon containers off at shelters with no water and returning to pick them up a few days later.
    2. Food/beverages - burgers and dogs, homemade meals, coolers with chilled drinks, groceries, etc.
    right here you talk about LEAVING food and drink. LEAVE nothing. "thrus" are no different than section hikers. i take that back. "thrus" EXPECT so-called magic
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 01-28-2008 at 15:31.

Images

Water caches - dropping collapsible 5 gallon containers off at shelters with no water and returning to pick them up a few days later.
    anything unattended is not magic; it's litter.

Images

So, unless you plan to go back and police the area don't leave anything.
    Totally disagree!!! If you pack it in you pack it out then, not latter, otherwise you are littering. Against the law, and violates the LNT principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    right here you talk about LEAVING food and drink. LEAVE nothing. "thrus" are no different than section hikers. i take that back. "thrus" EXPECT so-called magic
    I said the water containers, nothing at all about leaving food...

Images

with maryland, there's so many towns, places to stop right off trail, water, backpackers campground, spigots, etc etc why would you leave trail magic there?

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    with maryland, there's so many towns, places to stop right off trail, water, backpackers campground, spigots, etc etc why would you leave trail magic there?
    Yes, during the summer there' s a lot more water-- the state parks are open, and the backpacker's campground. Try going through in November or December, and it's quite a bit dicier on the water supply.

Images

I was about 15 miles south of Erwin when I saw a ammo box with a AT sticker on it. It was bolted to some 2 by 4s. I opened it and it had some payday, snickers, and some romen. I was out of food because of a sore heel. The candy was great and got me to Erwin. [ I left the Romom, I hate the stuff] If your going to leave stuff then put it in a container that animals cant get in to.

Images

If your going to leave stuff then put it in a container that animals cant get in to.
    Totally disagree!!! leaving anything is littering. Against the law, and violates the LNT principle.

This subject comes up often, and I am amazed at the number of people who think they are the exception to the principle of LNT.

Trail Angels should follow LNT like everybody else.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    Yes, during the summer there' s a lot more water-- the state parks are open, and the backpacker's campground. Try going through in November or December, and it's quite a bit dicier on the water supply.
    aren't the spigots at both gathland and dahlgren frost-free/year round? i know there's also one at old forge, maybe 7 miles into PA? reliable creeks may not be that plentiful.. the one near 491 i know will always be flowing..

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    So give some other ideas... this is why I posted asking for the Do's and Don't's. If leaving a 5 gallon jug of water at a shelter for two days is a bad idea, then give me some other ideas of what can be done.

Or is TM just something that shouldn't be done in general? In my experience it's welcomed but if there is a reason a group of people shouldn't go out and do something nice for a bunch of thrus, then I'd like to hear why.

So give some other ideas... this is why I posted asking for the Do's and Don't's. If leaving a 5 gallon jug of water at a shelter for two days is a bad idea, then give me some other ideas of what can be done.
    give $$$ to a local maintaining club. hikers do not need food and drink.

Images

So give some other ideas...
    I don't have any. If you want to feed hikers do it. Just stay with your stuff wherever, whatever you do. I don't think I said anywhere in my post, that you shouldn't go out and do something nice for a bunch of thrus. When people leave stuff, it lessens the outdoor experience of others.

LW has a good idea. Giving time and money to maintain the trail.

if you want to feed hikers take them home for a backyard bbq

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    Totally disagree!!! leaving anything is littering. Against the law, and violates the LNT principle.

This subject comes up often, and I am amazed at the number of people who think they are the exception to the principle of LNT.

If someone likes LNT that much, he or she should burn all shelters and privies to the ground.

If you leave something in a box at a shelter, how does that violate LNT? Spoiling the natural majesty of the shelter?

So give some other ideas... this is why I posted asking for the Do's and Don't's.
    OK then. Don't.

The best trail magic you could provide is helping to maintain the trail.

It's nice of you to consider being so generous, but if you really want to give away food, get involved with a food pantry. There is plenty of hunger in Appalachia. Hikers elect to be out there and should provide for themselves.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++