WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $10 hiking pole

Images

Default $10 hiking pole

walmart has a $10 hiking pole, which has a cork handle, that can't be durable, can it?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I hiked at Red River Gorge this past summer with someone and his broke in very short order. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get kwality gear insted of having to replace it in short order. But that's just me.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

they're free in the woods

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I have one. It is 6000 series aluminum, which means it is not as strong as 7000 series, which is what more expensive poles are made of. But mine works OK.

Images

I don't have the cork one... I've got the (apparently) older one, no problems so far...

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I have the older one as well and they have served me well over tha last 2 years.

Images

I've seen some broken and thrown on the trail, and I've seen some that have a couple thousand miles on them. They seem to be all over the beard with their reliability. I say it's worth $10 for the chance that they will last you for years. If they break, it's a $10 lesson.

I have cross country ski poles with cork grips. They're over 10 years old, and have hundreds of miles of skiing on them.
    A lot of good hiking poles have cork grips. They are meant to give better grip when wet than plastic, but they probably aren't as durable when they're tossed over rock faces before you climb them. For $10.00, you should give them a shot. If they don't last, get some Komperdells on Sierra Trading Post. They usually have great deals on them.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Mine have around 2,000 miles on them and counting...

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus45acp View Post
    They seem to be all over the beard with their reliability. .
    I guess "all over the beard" is a thru-hiker's term, or at least a hippie term?

Journal Entries
    Images

I've got a set of these with a few miles on them. I like them for the price. I actually saw them on clearance at my local WalMart this week and I am going back tomorrow to buy every single one they have left for my wife and kids. They are on clearance for $5. You really can't beat a $5 hiking pole.............................

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus45acp View Post
    They seem to be all over the beard with their reliability. I say it's worth $10 for the chance that they will last you for years. If they break, it's a $10 lesson.
    I can second that. I made it all the way to Damascus on my first two poles but then had to replace three in the next 150 miles.

I finally decided to give them up when one snapped coming down Dragon's Tooth and literally almost resulting in my death! Good times.....
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

I guess that, after reading the last post, you're probably better off buying some quality poles. I can attest to the number of times that, had I had cheap poles, they might have broken under most of my weight and skewered me through. I have some relatively heavy but strong Lekis.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Snarf, what are you doing to those poles to make them keep breaking??? You shouldn't be going through that many, whether they are cheapies or high quality. That's just nuts.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used an Eddie Bauer pole that I got at Target until I got my Mountainsmiths. $14 for a single pole. But it kept up with me. My only concern was that it looked like it was made out of cheap aluminum. So I only used them for day hikes and overnight sections.

But as long as you dont pull them all the way out to their ends. They should last for a while.

Would I use them for a long section or a thru, maybe not. They are good for a weekend hikes.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
    I can second that. I made it all the way to Damascus on my first two poles but then had to replace three in the next 150 miles.

I finally decided to give them up when one snapped coming down Dragon's Tooth and literally almost resulting in my death! Good times.....
    If you were going up into Mt Rogers. Thats what did them in. Rocky and steep.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Geez, it's not that rocky and steep! Nothing down there is so rocky and steep that you'd be going through 3-5 sets of hiking poles! I'm still trying to figure that out...

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    If you were going up into Mt Rogers. Thats what did them in. Rocky and steep.
    since when is the mt. rogers area rocky and steep?

They won't be able to handle PA rocks unless you are as careful about where you "stick it" as you are with where you put your feet down.

A $1 ski pole bought at a thrift stors lasts the whole trail for me.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++