WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    CowGirl,

I must confess that I was a little surprised to see sweet potatoes on your list of trail foods. Do you pack raw sweet potatoes, or is it possible to purchase a dehydrated variety? If they're raw, do you just put them into the fire to cook them?
    You can get tiny cubed sweet potatoes online from Harmony. I make black bean stew with them.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I love sweet potatoes but it never occurred to me to take them hiking. Hmmm.

One thing I forgot to mention up above is Fig Newtons. They are not lightweight, but when it gets hot and I don't want to cook, one sleeve is, I think, 600 calories and makes a nice breakfast. YMMV.

Images

Trader Joe's has dehydrated pastas with pesto, chez, and mushroom fillings in them. They cost about $2.50 a bag, that has 4 big servings in them. Bring some water to boil, toss in pasta, turn off stove, let sit for 10 min, add homemade pesto sauce, and you've got a good cheap meal.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Earl Shaffers' first thru-hike was powered by mostly cornmeal mush with brown sugar and evaporated milk, or oatmeal. He sometimes bought cans of vegetable soup and some potatoes to add in and cooked it all up in a pot. Not lightweight, but cheap. (Of course back then, he was making a fire every time he cooked. He said that the fire bans in either New Jersey or New York, or maybe both, I forget which, nearly starved him to death).

Images

McDonalds dollar menu, loaded with calories and fat - all for $1.00 ! Grab a dozen or so and hike on.

Might want to wash them down with a one a day to add some goodness in the mix.

we get hamburger helper or tuna helper and add either the tuna packets or pepperoni or sausage the hamburger helper comes in many diffrent sauces and is usally a buck a peice' I'll ditto the tortillini is good. for breakfast we'll have cereal or breakfastbars we figure our average cost for dinner is .75-1.25 apeice depending on what we add to the helper and if we throw in a snack breakfast is maybe .50

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    McDonalds dollar menu, loaded with calories and fat - all for $1.00 ! Grab a dozen or so and hike on.

Might want to wash them down with a one a day to add some goodness in the mix.
    Gak.Watch Supersize Me sometime, you might then actually stop and think about what exactly you are buying (and what kind of business practices you're encouraging).

Little Debbie brownies. Yum! Yum!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Working on Forestry Grad schol

rice, beans, cornmeal, powdered milk, etc.

little debbies ANYTHING!
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    Little Debbie brownies. Yum! Yum!
    Is that stuff food?

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Is that stuff food?
    No, but it does taste good
    Trail Cooking

Beans and Rice. Rice and Beans.

You might also consider some kind of protein supplement so you can maintain some muscle mass later on in your hike in addition to all the calories and fat!

been down that trail before Cowgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    You might also consider some kind of protein supplement so you can maintain some muscle mass later on in your hike in addition to all the calories and fat!
    I carry a product called "Muscle Milk" it is a high fat protein powder (healthy fats)

per serving:

340 calories
    18 grams of fat
    10 garms carbs
    35 grams protein

about 1/3 cup and it weighs about an ounce

cowgirl mentioned taking potatoes along. Great idea. When a campfire is available just toss them into the coals for a while, until you can poke a fork through them. Remove and crack them open, put butter or olive oil, season with salt or pepper or onion flakes, etc, and enjoy. A wonderful side dish.
    Nutrisystem, the diet people, have a great freeze dried hamburger pattie, good taste. Reconstitute in hot water within its package, put between two slices of bread and there is a great dinner. Hamburger and baked potato.
    J D Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JDCool1 View Post
    cowgirl mentioned taking potatoes along. Great idea. When a campfire is available just toss them into the coals for a while, until you can poke a fork through them. Remove and crack them open, put butter or olive oil, season with salt or pepper or onion flakes, etc, and enjoy. A wonderful side dish.
    Nutrisystem, the diet people, have a great freeze dried hamburger pattie, good taste. Reconstitute in hot water within its package, put between two slices of bread and there is a great dinner. Hamburger and baked potato.
    In the summer of 2006 while on a section hike of the PCT we stayed in a horse camp that had been deserted that morning....and a fire had been left going. Well, lo, we find taters wrapped in foil in the fire pit. Lol...dinner! (Ok, only on long hikes would taters left behind sound good...) They were still roasty hot and tasted ever so good

The FD patty would have been good to. Didn't know that NS made that one! Something to check out
    Trail Cooking

Summer sausage, pita bread, and cheese whiz. Great lunch, about 550 calories/serving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++