WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Thru-Hikers dropping out after 30 miles

I read a surprising statistic that 20% of thru-hikers drop out after only 30 miles. What do you think went wrong for these hikers - lack of planning? inexperience (e.g college kids not realizing what they were in for)? Other unforseen factors?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
    I read a surprising statistic that 20% of thru-hikers drop out after only 30 miles. What do you think went wrong for these hikers - lack of planning? inexperience (e.g college kids not realizing what they were in for)? Other unforseen factors?
    scared the spouse would be cheating while they were gone.

Images

Not realizing what they were getting into. When I thru-hiked, I was in very good shape (just out of the Marine Corps) and had logged well over 1000 backcountry miles in many different areas.

My first impression of the AT (well, actually the approach trail) was that this was going to be TOUGH. To me, thoughts of 15 miles days seemed like cakewalks. But when you hit the kind of uphills you encounter in the southern and northern AT, it's a real blow to the senses.

I think many decide it's just too much after the first 3-6 days of hiking uphill like they have never done before.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

There was plenty of " cheatin' " going on, on the Trail too.

Images

I'd go with inexperience with regards to the rigors and self-imposed deprivation brought on by the trail ... or they may be looking at the entire trek as 2,175 miles instead of focusing on the day to day challenge of learining to be comfortable in a un-comfortable environment. The folks that drop out to soon have not even acquired their trail-legs.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

As in "dessert" not "desert"

"It wasn't what I expected", is the classic line, according to Bryson's book. Never having hiked the trail in Georgia, I wouldn't know what to expect either.

Most people have no ideal how soft and spoiled they really are. When they do find out, they go home. It don't take long.

Personally, I think that 20% figure is kinda high.

Trail didn't meet their expectations, I guess. A surprising number of folks start at Springer with little or no backpacking experience, and many have never set foot on the AT. (Which doesn't necessarily mean that all such greenhorns fail, by the way.)

I dare say, failures of this sort are rare for SOBO starters. You kinda need to know your stuff somewhat, when you start from Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Personally, I think that 20% figure is kinda high.

I agree; while a surprising amount of people quit at Neels, and to a lesser extent Suches, no way is it 1 out of every 5 hikers.

Images

I think a lot of people realize, after a week (which for those who are really, really, challenged, might be 30 miles), that doing the whole thing is just 150 days of the same damn thing, walking the tunnel, PUDS, noodles/sauce, rain, and then the next day is the same, with a few wonderful views. I loved the Trail - still do - but one of the problems is that a lot of people don't realize how much into Zen you have to get - whether you call it that or something else - to handle just walking, walking, walking.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I think a lot of people realize, after a week (which for those who are really, really, challenged, might be 30 miles), that doing the whole thing is just 150 days of the same damn thing, walking the tunnel, PUDS, noodles/sauce, rain, and then the next day is the same, with a few wonderful views. I loved the Trail - still do - but one of the problems is that a lot of people don't realize how much into Zen you have to get - whether you call it that or something else - to handle just walking, walking, walking.

TW
    Which is a fancy way of saying... it gets boring. (I'm not disagreeing with the content of Weasel's post, BTW.)

Some may find there gear is not up to standards, especially if they start in bad weather.

Images

Default Why?

Below is an excerpt from an email I sent someone about 2 years ago. Yes, I really do keep some of it.

The hardest part is going to be getting beyond the first few weeks. That's not impossible if you're well prepared. I don't think the Georgia A.T. was deliberately laid out to weed out, but it's very effective at helping people make up their minds about whether or not they really desire to hike the A.T.

I think being a West Virginian puts you at a distinct advantage with respect to other hikers. You grew up knowing Appalachian is pronounced Appalatchin, not Appalayshin or the hybrid Appalaychin and thus will not need to unlearn what Yankees are wrongly taught. You're also going to be on the right side of that argument. More importantly, you know it's the Appalatchin Trial. Trail really ought to be pronounced more like trial, because that's what it is. It's not some nice walk in the woods, although it can be an incredibly rewarding experience!

Read what these words really mean. You are about to become thoroughly acquainted with the concepts they represent. I lifted the definitions from Webster's Online dictionary. Yes, I know, I've got the verb in the first case, the noun in the second, but I'm sure you will get my point.

trail

10 entries found for trail.
    Main Entry: 1trail
    Pronunciation: 'trA(&)l
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French trailler to tow, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin tragulare, from Latin tragula sledge, dragnet; akin to Latin trahere to pull
    intransitive senses
    1 a : to hang down so as to drag along or sweep the ground b : to extend over a surface in a loose or straggling manner <a vine that trails over the ground> c : to grow to such length as to droop over toward the ground <trailing branches of a weeping birch>
    2 a : to walk or proceed draggingly, heavily, or wearily : PLOD, TRUDGE b : to lag behind : do poorly in relation to others
    3 : to move, flow, or extend slowly in thin streams <smoke trailing from chimneys>
    4 a : to extend in an erratic or uneven course or line : STRAGGLE b : DWINDLE <voice trailing off>
    5 : to follow a trail : track game
    transitive senses
    1 a : to draw or drag loosely along a surface : allow to sweep the ground b : HAUL, TOW
    2 a : to drag (as a limb or the body) heavily or wearily b : to carry or bring along as an addition, burden, or encumbrance c : to draw along in one's wake
    3 a : to follow upon the scent or trace of : TRACK b : to follow in the footsteps of : PURSUE c : to follow along behind d : to lag behind (as a competitor)
    synonym see CHASE or trial.

trial

16 entries found found for trial.
    Main Entry: 1tri·al
    Pronunciation: 'trI(-&)l
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Anglo-French, from trier to try
    1 a : the action or process of trying or putting to the proof : TEST b : a preliminary contest (as in a sport)
    2 : the formal examination before a competent tribunal of the matter in issue in a civil or criminal cause in order to determine such issue
    3 : a test of faith, patience, or stamina through subjection to suffering or temptation; broadly : a source of vexation or annoyance
    4 a : a tryout or experiment to test quality, value, or usefulness b : one of a number of repetitions of an experiment
    5 : ATTEMPT

People think the Appalachian Trail is a path in the woods and wouldn't it be nice to hike the trail? Maybe they just remember or heard what's pleasant and forgot or never learned the rest of the story. Before they know it, they buy and read books that of course were meant to sell, they buy 1000s of dollars worth of equipment, quit their jobs, get their hopes up and descend upon Springer Mountain in hordes only to find out it's not what they expected. What were they expecting?

I think a modification of the National Scenic Trails Act is in order. What do you think? We just ought to call it the Appalachian Trial. Then everyone would understand.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

it rained out

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I agree; while a surprising amount of people quit at Neels, and to a lesser extent Suches, no way is it 1 out of every 5 hikers.
    The figures that I read were from a Georgia Hiking book by Johnny Molloy, which stated that 20% stop after 30 miles, 50% after 160 miles, and 60% after 1000 miles. He doesn't cite the source where he got the figures.

Journal Entries

I have no statistics -- other than that two of the 10 people I met on Springer quit right there.

But I believe that those most apt to get to Harpers Ferry are those who arrive at Springer with an interest in the natural environment of the trail. I don't remember being bored. I was constantly seeing birds, insects, plants and flowers I couldn't identify, and taking notes in case I came across an identification book at the next town.

The early quitters were just bored, or had totally inadequate gear. Later on injuries played a major role. After a while people began to run out of time, and money.

Despite the White Blaze chatter about how easy the AT is, it's a more difficult experience than most realized. Most everyone I met in Georgia seemed surprised at the unexpected difficulty and the enormity of the venture.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Which is a fancy way of saying... it gets boring. (I'm not disagreeing with the content of Weasel's post, BTW.)
    Sorta, Terrapin, but I think I've seen something in even week long hikes with others: It's not that it's boring, but that it's "not what I expected it to be" in the sense that a lot of people expect either adventure, or large amounts of wildlife, or kumbaya around the campfire, or even some kind of deep emotional impact each day, and those things generally don't happen. And when they don't, they don't see what IS occurring, and they miss the impact and value of that. PUDS are interesting if you start to think about them, and so are the rest of the things that happen. People that have an affinity for mediation, or Zen, or "becoming one with their environment" or whatever you want to call it find that it's not boring: Soothing, gentling, humbling. But a lot of people don't "expect" that and don't know how valuable it can be.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Ohio:

The 60% attrition rate by Harpers Ferry may in fact be about right, but I'd disagree with Molloy's other figures, especially the 50% drop out by 160 miles, i.e. Fontana Dam. I think 50% attrition by Damascus VA is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    The early quitters were just bored, or had totally inadequate gear. Later on injuries played a major role. After a while people began to run out of time, and money.
    Then there are the late-quitters who finally got fed up with the boredom and drudgery parts.

Despite the White Blaze chatter about how easy the AT is, it's a more difficult experience than most realized. Most everyone I met in Georgia seemed surprised at the unexpected difficulty and the enormity of the venture.
    I had so much adrenaline in me that I never noticed how hard Georgia was. As for the "enormity of the venture" (good point, BTW) that's something that sort of dawns on you slowly as the days wear on and the adrenaline rush wears off. For Bryson and Katz, it came down like a ton of bricks, seeing that map of the AT in Gatlinburg.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++