WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Booties for dogs with dew claws?

I've been toying with the idea of getting hiking booties for my dog. We hike in a lot of rocky terrain, and I worry about her getting a pad cut. In those situations, I'm pro-prevention: She's just big enough that I wouldn't be able to carry her out of a day hike if I had to, and I don't want her to mess up her paw being forced to hike back out. Plus, I plan to take her with me when I thru-hike (2015 or 2016) minus GSMNP.

I'm very into Vibram soles when I purchase new hiking shoes, and I want my dog to have the same kind of grip. I've been looking at both the Grip Trex and Polar Trex from Ruffwear. I worry though that the mesh top on the Grip Trex would absorb water and cause abrasion on her paws if they get wet, like wet socks. On the other hand, I worry that the taller, waterproof Polar Trex might snag a dew claw if it ever got pulled off (not to mention being too warm in summer).

Am I just overthinking all this? Give me your input. Thanks!

By the way, I'm all about Musher's Wax when it's just hot or icy.

I would consider having the dew claws removed. It's an easy procedure and they can be ripped off at any point on the AT and that would be an issue. Mushers I've used routine for hot desert days as well as snow/ice and recommend its use. I've tried a variety of boots and prefer the higher type rather than those that just cover the paw. But I only use them in extreme conditions, a dog looses heat through its pads and mouth. If its a hot humid day you run the risk of over heating your dog and causing a heat issue.
    Www.walk4heroes.me
    @walk4heroes

Images

I would just get the dog used to hiking a lot, My dogs paws are really tough from many miles of hiking, I use the ruffwear shoes or him when hiking on ice because he has been cut from sharp ice , The dew claws have never been an issue only one time when wrestling with other dogs.

I was recommended dog booties from dogbooties.com on here and love them. My dog has his dew claws also and they aren't much of an issue. Sometimes they interfere but nothing that would make me stop using them.

a little vet wrap over the dew claw will keep it safe

Vet wrap. How about a little 1" gauze and a safety pin, the strechy stuff ? Would not trust the self stick stuff.

Thanks everyone!

Paul: I would rather not put her through ANY unnecessary procedure, since she can't request or reject it herself. (Yes, I'm one of THOSE )

I never thought of vet wrap! I'll definitely give it a shot if I end up investing in the polar trex. I already carry some in our e-kit in case of injury. I'll probably pick up some dogbooties booties in case she cuts a paw and rely mainly on Musher's and a back up plan to get her off trail.

Right now, we hike 2-3 miles a few times a week with 6-10 mile hikes every week or two. We're going to start overnighting this spring and doing longer hikes by summer.

++ New Posts ++