WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What kind of hammock(s) do you use? Multiple choices allowed.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Clark NA

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

I just bought a HH Explorer. I am going on my first hike with it in April
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

O.K, I hope this isn't a dumb question and please don't laugh! I go about 225 LBS and have always been intrigued with the hammock thing. Is there a hammock for us "big guy's" or am I gonna have to loose 50 lbs to be able to even have to try it? I went to the EORA showcase in Greenville this past week and the hammock manufactures were there in droves. I talked to quite a few of them and most said they had hammocks that were good for up to 400 lbs. They are sales people...thats what they do...I want the real story!

Quote Originally Posted by gold bond View Post
    O.K, I hope this isn't a dumb question and please don't laugh! I go about 225 LBS and have always been intrigued with the hammock thing. Is there a hammock for us "big guy's" or am I gonna have to loose 50 lbs to be able to even have to try it?
    I'm real close to that figure so got the biggest HH when I started hanging. I kind of like the bottom entry and the attached bugnet (there's no hanging time in PA that's bug free...). However the first night the bugnet tore away from the bottom in what I understand is a common problem with the HH's Chinese stitching quality control. I returned it to HH ($$ post to Canada) and two months later got a better stitched one that hasn't let loose on me yet.

In the meantime I went to the ATC biennial meeting and met the Speer folks who were presenting there. Let's just say... anything those two design ought to keep either of us off the ground.

Images

O.K, I hope this isn't a dumb question and please don't laugh! I go about 225 LBS and have always been intrigued with the hammock thing. Is there a hammock for us "big guy's" or am I gonna have to loose 50 lbs to be able to even have to try it?
    Not a dumb question! I was about 250 lbs. when I started hanging. Even at that weight the 1.9 ripstop hammocks held just fine; I was nervous. If you are really worried about it go with an ENO, Trek Light, or Ticket To The Moon hammock. They are rated to like 400 or 500 pounds and very comfortable. They are also fairly lightweight and very reasonable in price (usually around $50). Go with the 'double' if you go that route.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

KIOeh, Thanks for the info.There were so many choices I got a headache! With bug netting...without it. Under entry ,top entry. More strapping less strapping.....it went on and on! I do need to loose about 15-20 lbs before hiking season but it is what it is right now. Thanks!!

OK how can this poll work with you having to decide between an ENO and an Eagles Nest? They are both the same? So it will split the vote on the same hammock…

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Oh, Frolicking one,
    Doesn't ENO stand for Eagle's Nest Outfitters?
    It seems to me that you have a duplicate on your choices list.
    Quote Originally Posted by CursedKarma View Post
    OK how can this poll work with you having to decide between an ENO and an Eagles Nest? They are both the same? So it will split the vote on the same hammock…
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Whoops
    I would combine them if I could - there is no way to do that with a poll even for the site admins.
    ::: Dino slinks off to blush profusely for not catching this error when posting the poll :::

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Doesn't get nearly as much use these days as it ought to ....but I still tie up my HH Ultralight Backpacker (pre-assym) from the 80's now and then. Updgraded to the JrB 8 x 8 tarp as a fly several years ago and really like the coverage a lot better.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I would combine them if I could - there is no way to do that with a poll even for the site admins.
    ::: Dino slinks off to blush profusely for not catching this error when posting the poll :::
    She is correct, there's no option for merging the votes together once the poll is created.

So which is better? Eagles Nest or ENO??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    The one on sale!
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Hikers over 210 lbs. should stay away from the Sportsman's Guide camo hammock with netting. I tore two of them first day getting in.
    The Byer models will be fine if you replace the thin strings with a 6mm climbing rope threaded through each end of the hammock.
    The HH Ultralight A-sym uses a spectra cored nylon sheathed rope to save weight. If the sheath wears through, cut the cord and retie the two frayed pieces. Otherwise, going into four years with no problems.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I'm taking a Clark UL at the end of March. Any thoughts?

Bobcat: What are you using for insulation underneath? You'll need a pad or an underquilt early in the season.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Clark UL

Yea. I'm planning on taking a Pad, especially for early in the season. I also plan on taking a 0 degree bag and will line the bottom of the hammock with clothing. That is still a concern of mine however.

Images

O.K, I hope this isn't a dumb question and please don't laugh! I go about 225 LBS and have always been intrigued with the hammock thing. Is there a hammock for us "big guy's" or am I gonna have to loose 50 lbs to be able to even have to try it? I went to the EORA showcase in Greenville this past week and the hammock manufactures were there in droves. I talked to quite a few of them and most said they had hammocks that were good for up to 400 lbs. They are sales people...thats what they do...I want the real story!
    I weigh between 215 and 220 - have had a HHULBP Asym for about 3 years. It's holding up fine. I'm prolly close to 100 nights in it - the only sign of wear is by the entry slit where I let someone try it out and they didn't take their shoes off. When they tried to push the entry slit open with their foot, they poked a small hole in the nylon....I've had a return / repair slip from HH for 6 months, but can't find a time I'm not planning to use it.

Was on top of Shining Rock last weekend - was in it with my new Speer Winter tarp. Up to 60 mph gusts - I was cozy!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    I weigh between 215 and 220 - have had a HHULBP Asym for about 3 years. It's holding up fine. I'm prolly close to 100 nights in it - the only sign of wear is by the entry slit where I let someone try it out and they didn't take their shoes off. When they tried to push the entry slit open with their foot, they poked a small hole in the nylon....I've had a return / repair slip from HH for 6 months, but can't find a time I'm not planning to use it.

Was on top of Shining Rock last weekend - was in it with my new Speer Winter tarp. Up to 60 mph gusts - I was cozy!
    Thanks to you and everyone that has helped me! I spent most of last night researching and man there is alot of hammocks out there. I guess I'll do like I always do and research and over think it! I am assuming here that this is a "Hennessey Hammock"?

I bought an Eno because I didn't know how I would like sleeping in a hammock and I didn't want to spend the big money on a hennessey or a clark. I liked it so much that I just kept it. Someone on here said "people who use ENO's are trail P.I.M.P.S. I asked what that meant but he never replied. I'm guessing it isn't complimentary but I still wonder what that means.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Eagles Nest is ENO. ENO is short for Eagles Nest Outfitters.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++