WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: G4 Pack

Former Admin

Default G4 Pack

Has anyone used this pack and what are your opinions of it.

Heres a a link in regards to the G4 backpack http://www.gvpgear.com/

Thumbs up I Liked It.

I used a G4 pack for my whole AT thru-hike. This version I bought in March, 2001. Some of the following is comments I made to the designer.

My pack averaged a little over 20 pounds.

The pack worked out very well and I was glad to have it. It was extremely light and quite comfortable. It also held up remarkably well. I made only the most minor of repairs; a few stitches with dental floss. The mesh got a few holes in it from getting snagged on brush, but with a few pieces of duct tape easily made it the whole way. Slightly heavier mesh would be worthwhile, though, I believe. It looks to me that this pack could make the whole hike again.

Another change that would definitely be worth the weight, in my mind, is the addition of a sternum strap. I sewed one on myself and the extra comfort easily justified the extra oz. or so. Because most folks use hiking poles on the trail, a sternum strap is much more useful that it normally is, because your hands aren't free. About the only other criticism I have is that it tended to ride a bit low. I'm not sure what the fix for this is, but even with packing more loosely at the bottom the center of gravity was still a little low.

Remember, this is a very light pack, so if you use it, your pack weight should stay LOW.

Bottom line: the G4 is a great pack, and in my opinion a better ultralight pack than any of the others I saw on the trail.

I have used a G4 since last summer for 4 or 5 section backpacking trips. I really like it. Agree with just about everything Colter mentioned. I use a 8 section Z rest for my pack frame. Dodn't think the Z rest would stay a stiff enough frame for a long time with weights much heavier than the 20 pounds I had in my pack, so keeping the weight down is important. The eight section is pretty short, and when camping in the snow my legs tended to get cold on the floor of the tent. I then used the pack under my legs and feet and it was much better.

My pack also rides low, but after I was used to it, it wasn't a problem. Like Colter I thought I would miss a sternum strap, but so far I haven't missed it. If it becomes a problem I will have one installed. I think they are now offering the standard pack either with or without a sternum strap.

I sure like my Gregory, but considering the weight difference I will always use the G4 unless I have to carry a much heavier load than I usually do. Again I really like the G4, am very satisfied with it, particularly its light weight. Mine is under a pound, even with the padding in the straps.

Scorpion

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default singing a song for the GVP-4

Its just a damned smart pack. Glenn thought well out of the box and really shamed the Golite Breeze...this past weekend I gave me GVP-4 to SassiCat to use while I used a Golite Gust-I was envious the whole hike.
    The smartest inovations of the GVP-4 are the placement of the sleep pad/pack frame where you can get to it without enterint the pack proper-like for a quick sit pad on breaks, the other is the shoulder pad pockets that can accept spare socks or mittens-just smart dual use mandatory for ultralightweight minimalists.
    The GVP-4 has proven itself via Brian Robinson on his Triple Crown and many many other thru hikes.....
    The only downfall of the GVP-4 is the owner who slams his stuff to the ground or runs through bramble...it is simply not designed for abuse.

Default G-4 pack

I have only used my GVP G-4 three times. When I first put it on, it rode so low that I did not think I would keep it. After loading it a few times I decided to try it---did not like not having the sterum strap, so I rigged up a temporary one.

On the first hike I removed the sterum and even though it felt funny riding low, I noticed how straight and comfortable my back was. Even without a sterum strap the weight seamed almost featherweight with the shoulder straps riding wider on my shoulders than usual.

So far I am "over pleased" with this pack; although I want to see how the pack feels in hot weather riding low on my bottom. Like the other reviews I will stay with this pack as long as I continue to average 21-24 lbs. on my hikes depending on days of food carried.

I have a nomad lite tent and use the poles inside the Z-rest for storage and to create some degree of stays for the pack, to help with weight regulation. I also, baby my gear so I don't worry about the lightweight materials.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default GVP-4 in the heat

Remember the GVP-4 was first dev. per the PCT trail so desert hiking wasnt a problem for most with it.
    I used the GVP-4 last year from Springer to Neals when it was 98 in Atlanta and never noticed the heat on my back but I probably wouldnt have when my entire body was literally soaked each day of the hike from head to toe including every pit and inch of skin...the z-rest does an adaquate job even in those conditions and I am anxious to compare the sweat load on my back with the Mithril this Summer when I get to do central Virginia sections.

Bought mine almost 15 years ago and its still going strong (and light), even during numerous Boy Scout trips (where I ended up carrying far more than ultralight would dictate). Definitely one of my better buys.

++ New Posts ++