WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gatorade v. Nalgene

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the precise weight savings is by switching from Nalgenes to Gatorade bottles? Thanks!

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

are you talking the solid bottles from nalgene

you might think about these

http://www.handsomebear.com/340703.html

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    are you talking the solid bottles from nalgene

you might think about these

http://www.handsomebear.com/340703.html
    Huh, I have never seen those before. Interesting. My main concern is cutting weight, do you know how much they weigh?

Working on Forestry Grad schol

platypus water bags are lighter than nalgenes, and they don't have that huge, silly top.

Images

I'd go with the gatorade bottle personally. Only costs $1, comes filled with gatorade, is very light and is virtually disposable.

Images

People either love Platys or hate em. I got tired of not knowing how much water I had left (since my platy was in my pack),as well as tube and bite valve problems. Just used the gatorade bottles and switched em out when I needed to. Sorry, not sure of weight saved over Nalgenes.

If I remember right...
    Nalgene: 7 ounces
    Snapple or Gatorade bottles: 1 ounce.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    People either love Platys or hate em. I got tired of not knowing how much water I had left (since my platy was in my pack),as well as tube and bite valve problems. Just used the gatorade bottles and switched em out when I needed to. Sorry, not sure of weight saved over Nalgenes.
    Read this first. http://www.radicalcongruency.com/200...ttles-unsafe-1
    Don't know how reliable it is and it certainly won't stop me from using my nalgene. but I definatley wouldn't use the gatorade bottles for a long time. Buy new ones regularlt.
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

I have a weight of 6.2oz for a narrow-mouth 1 liter Nalgene and 4.5oz for a wide-mouth colored 1l Nalgene.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I cannot comment on the weight savings but I know that my 32oz Narrow Top Nalgene comes in around 5.8oz's. Now, I am having the same thoughts about cutting weight. The only thing is, Nalgenes are heavier but they are also super strong and very reliable. Is it worth the extra 2oz's? I know Gatorade bottles are strong but I dont think they are as strong as a Nalgene.

Here's what i think about lite weight geting each piece lite just weigh the whole pack go from there then see what can be left behind or saw ever thing off drill holes. I bet most off you get big heavy cars.

Images

In the Summer, I prefer the Platypus. In winter, when I have to worry about water freezing and a bottle that can stand up to boiling water, wide-mouthed nalgenes are the hands-down winner for me. I've experienced gatorade bottles and other thinner plastic types buckle under boiling heat.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I cannot comment on the weight savings but I know that my 32oz Narrow Top Nalgene comes in around 5.8oz's. Now, I am having the same thoughts about cutting weight. The only thing is, Nalgenes are heavier but they are also super strong and very reliable. Is it worth the extra 2oz's? I know Gatorade bottles are strong but I dont think they are as strong as a Nalgene.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Merry Hikester

Apparently, when the plastic in gatorade bottles turns white it is disintegrating, probably not good for you.
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the precise weight savings is by switching from Nalgenes to Gatorade bottles? Thanks!
    ======================================

Depends in part on the size Gatorade bottle you are talking about. I carry a 20oz Gatorade bottle strapped to my shoulder with shock cord and it is lighter than the 16oz Nalgene I have at home.

Never personally weighed a liter/quart sized Gatorade bottle but my guess is that it would be lighter than the liter Nalgene.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I carried a platypus and a wide mouth gator.. I liked buying the gatoraid bottle because you get to drink th gator aid...

THAT HUGE SILLY TOP
    is what screws directly onto my water filter, eliminating the need for a third hand, fumbling, and (a little) extra weight. Plus it's easier to pour drink mixes into.
    I've used Nalgenes for years. First the Poly translucent bottles, then the Lexan (until the big Lexan scare), now the "Unbottles". I've had an Unbottle (liter or quart) since my Georgia section hike in March 06. I use it on every hike, and it's holding up very well.
    I have a Platypus also, though I use it less, and it's holding up fine, too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I guess I should add that I use a plastic drink bottle on my shoulder strap and the Nalgene inside my pack for back up/extra water. I buy whatever drink bottle fits best under the bungee cord on my shoulder strap.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My experience is about equal to what's been stated so far: about 6-7 ounces for a 1-liter nalgene bottle, about 1 ounce for a gatorade bottle or other in-store water bottle. Personally, I use a filter bottle and a gatorade bottle, and drink water and diluted gatorade during the day. I also bring along a pair of 2-liter platys for camp water or for dry stretches. Weighs an ounce each, and takes up no space when empty.

My 1Q Gatorade bottle weighs 1.8oz
    My 1L Nalgene PolyCarb widemouth bottle weighs 5.35oz
    My 1L Smartwater bottle weighs 1.5 oz

I drive a light-weight, 2 door ford focus hatchback
    ..guess I'll keep a livin' till the day I die...

www.trailjournals.com/chuck2008

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'm cheap. I'm simple.

I go with the Gatorade bottles for all my hikes.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++