WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Talking Some more questions

Just trying to iron out some details...

--How easy is it to get to Amicola State Park? That is, does a bus go near there? Or do you have to hitchhike? Or walk? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to even get to the start of this thing.

--I read once somewhere of a place called "the Inn." I seem to recall it was in the south, TN or NC or something... sounded like the place to be, to definitely stay a night there at least. Any idea where this is?

--how much on average do hostels cost?

--these "convenience stores" along the trail. Are these about like gas station convenience stores, with just candy and chips? What sort of supplies can I really expect to get here (I understand they aren't all the same, just in general).

--Is anyone else really sick of planning and just want to hike?

get one of the guides. all the info is in there

See Jack's resupply article...

i ordered the guide a couple hours ago, but it obviously hasn't shown up yet; and I have gone through the resupply article. These are some of the questions I was left with.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    Just trying to iron out some details...

--How easy is it to get to Amicola State Park? That is, does a bus go near there? Or do you have to hitchhike? Or walk? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to even get to the start of this thing.

--I read once somewhere of a place called "the Inn." I seem to recall it was in the south, TN or NC or something... sounded like the place to be, to definitely stay a night there at least. Any idea where this is?

--how much on average do hostels cost?

--these "convenience stores" along the trail. Are these about like gas station convenience stores, with just candy and chips? What sort of supplies can I really expect to get here (I understand they aren't all the same, just in general).

--Is anyone else really sick of planning and just want to hike?
    1. Taxi from Gainesville. Or check the ATC website for the complete list of AT shuttle services.
    2. Maybe you mean Sunnybank Inn, aka Elmer's place, in Hot Springs.
    3. Hostels: prices vary. Some simply ask for a donation.
    4. Convenience stores: typically crappy, which is why they're referred to as "short term resupply." You won't starve, but it's junk food.

2.) my guess was Hike Inn near Fontana

Hike Inn dahlonega

you can contact the hike inn in dahlonega, ga and make arrangement through them for pick up and a place to stay. they will shuttle you to amicalola or springer.
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The companion will be helpful (there is one online too that you can check ahead of time). You can also check my blog - I listed the places last year where we stayed and groceries available (also where we sent ourmail drops). Scroll down the blog to see the places (there are three entries to cover it all). Convenience stores are all different -some small, some large, NY is expensive. Most have a few items to last you like noddles, mac and cheese, etc. Since they are in the trail's vicinity, they tend to cater more to hikers. Some you will discover along the way, word of mouth, etc.

Where are you staying when you get to Georgia? There is the Hiker hostel that will shuttle you to the start of the trail. You can spend the night there. But it fills up fast.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hike Inn is at Fontana near RObbinsville, outside the Smokies.

Hiker Hostel is Dahlonega, Josh and Leigh.

I'll bet the Inn is probably Elmers place at Hot Springs.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The Hiker Hostel is in Dahlonega.

The Hike Inn is off of the approach trail 6 ish miles north of ASP.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The Hiker Hostel is in Dahlonega.

The Hike Inn is off of the approach trail 6 ish miles north of ASP.
    There is a "The Hike Inn" at Fontana Dam.

Tb

i ordered the guide a couple hours ago, but it obviously hasn't shown up yet; and I have gone through the resupply article. These are some of the questions I was left with.

Well, you could use this in the meantime, I can imagine you're eager:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

It is the 2007 book, they haven't posted the 2008 yet.

You can hike the entire trail without maildrops and ony encounter "crappy" resupply a handful of times. Frequently the short-term resupply places even have made-to-order deli sandwiches, etc. Baltimore Jack's resupply article is definitely the way to plan for eats.

Here's the annotated list of where I resupplied in 2006:

RESUPPLY [plus memorable restaurants in supply towns]:

Neels Gap - some expensive resupply at outfitter [buffet in town]
    Hiawassee - good grocery store [buffet next to Holiday Inn]
    Franklin - good grocery store, dollar store [great Mexican]
    * Fontana Dam Village - bad, overpriced resupply at general store
    Gatlinburg - good grocery store, ride bus [good BBQ]
    Hot Springs - dollar store, outfitters, interesting little grocery store [Elmer’s - great vegetarian]
    Erwin - okay grocery store, dollar store
    Kincora/Elizabethton - nice grocery store
    Damascus - good grocery store, dollar store [Lazy Fox Inn - fantastic breakfast]
    * Atkins - crappy grocery store in town - motel owner takes you
    Pearisburg - good grocery store, dollar store [Chinese buffet]
    Daleville - great grocery store [nice BBQ]
    Waynesboro - good grocery store [Chinese buffet]
    * Linden - crappy general store (maildrop or skip altogether)
    Harpers Ferry (get summer gear) - great grocery store, dollar store, in next town, ride bus
    Duncannon - great grocery store, drug store next door [burger at Doyle]
    Delaware Water Gap - went home, don't know about grocery store
    Pawling - went home, pretty good bit off trail, don't know about grocery store [great Mexican restaurant with Mexican groceries]
    Kent - nice little grocery story
    Salisbury - nice little grocery store
    North Adams - great grocery store [picnic table out front, salad bar inside]
    Manchester Center - good grocery store, dollar store [good Steak rest.]
    Hanover - great co-op grocery store, drugstore [Indian (in house not mall)]
    * Glencliff (get winter gear anyway) - okay deluxe gas station food mart
    Gorham - nice grocery store [Chinese buffets]
    Rangely - nice medium-sized grocery store [good Thai]
    Monson - crappy little dirty store, nice medium-sized grocery store in next town [great BBQ, nice breakfast at Shaw’s]

* would definitely consider sending food maildrop

Scale: crappy - okay - good - nice - great - fantastic

Tater:

Thanks for the thumbs up. The feedback I received this summer and fall from many of the 2007 folks re. my Re-Supply article was pretty positive (i.e. folks seemed to find the information useful, and more imprtant, it was still considerd accurate). Except for my "What would you do differently?" essay, which is also in the "Articles" section, I've had better feedback on the Re-Supply article than from anything I've posted on the Internet. I'd like to think that it's still useful for the folks that will be leaving in a few weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Tater:

Thanks for the thumbs up. The feedback I received this summer and fall from many of the 2007 folks re. my Re-Supply article was pretty positive (i.e. folks seemed to find the information useful, and more imprtant, it was still considerd accurate). Except for my "What would you do differently?" essay, which is also in the "Articles" section, I've had better feedback on the Re-Supply article than from anything I've posted on the Internet. I'd like to think that it's still useful for the folks that will be leaving in a few weeks.
    I used your resupply list last year and it was a great help to me.

Images

As some of the others have said you can get a shuttle thru the hiker hostel www.hikerhostel.com they have a thru-hikers special and will pick you up stay the night and put you on the trail. The Hike Inn at Amicalola Falls don't do shuttle service.
    " You do your thing and I'll do mine"

Images

seems to me like most convenience stores have at least mac and cheese and possibly liptons on the shelf, so its not all junk food. but i agree most of it is.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

Where are you staying when you get to Georgia? There is the Hiker hostel that will shuttle you to the start of the trail. You can spend the night there. But it fills up fast.
    No idea. Was thinking about taking a Greyhound to somewhere before Atlanta and hitchhiking down GA-52 or something. Right now getting there is a major weak spot in my planning.

And yes, Jack, your article is very helpful, cleared up a lot of questions I had. Maybe when I'm done with my hike I'll add feedback.

And I'm pretty sure "the Inn" was Elmer's place, the name sounds familiar.

I'm reading different things on this, though: is Williamstown/North Adams, VT too early to get winter stuff? That's where I was planning my last maildrop. (actually, at first I was gonna use Kent, CT)

by the way, I don't have internet, so I can only go online to check these replies when I'm at my parents' house, so if I don't reply immediately, that's why.

No idea. Was thinking about taking a Greyhound to somewhere before Atlanta and hitchhiking down GA-52 or something. Right now getting there is a major weak spot in my planning.

And yes, Jack, your article is very helpful, cleared up a lot of questions I had. Maybe when I'm done with my hike I'll add feedback.

And I'm pretty sure "the Inn" was Elmer's place, the name sounds familiar.

I'm reading different things on this, though: is Williamstown/North Adams, VT too early to get winter stuff? That's where I was planning my last maildrop. (actually, at first I was gonna use Kent, CT)

That's not a bad place, depending on how early/late you make it through Mass and into VT. Last year I spent the Friday before the Long Trail Festival (8/17) with a few Thru's between North Adams and Bennington...it was chilly and I know that I would have liked to have brought my winter gear along. If anything, it's just another 100 to 150 miles that you'd be carrying the extra 2 or 3 pounds. That's not going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++