WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2/3 person tent

Images

Default 2/3 person tent

hi guys! just getting back into hiking (was pretty into it in my late teens and then sold all my gear for beer money in college). now that i'm older and wiser (debateable) i'm looking to get back into it...

so my younger days only dealt w/ 1 person gear. well now i have my gf too, and on occasion her little beagle. so i'm looking for a good, 2 or 3 person tent for her and i, and sometime for duncan.

other info: i will not be camping out w/ her over the winter b/c screw that. i'll be chilling in front of the fireplace watching football. so i'm looking for a 3 season tent. waterproofing is a definite plus but i don't need one that can handle a monsoon. again, i'm older and don't feel i have anything to prove by looking for some crazy weather to 'just see if i can handle it'.

money, as always, is an issue. i can't justify anymore than 100 bucks for a tent. i mean, it's a tent...

Images

oh yeah, my girl is small, and girly, so i'll most likely be hauling the tent soley w/ my gear. can't split it

A 3-season tent, large enough to accommodate 2-3 people for under $100?

You might find something used for that price. Most 3-season tents cost quite a bit more than your preset limit.

How 'bout a tarp?
    Roland

Dick's sporting goods ..Quest vista 3, on sale for 29.99...inner roof is mostly insect screen for less condensation and the fly covers more of the tent than you typically find with a cheaper tent...it ain't ultra lite, most the weight is in the fiberglass poles.
    Rain or shine, Works fine for me and my 2 boys.

check Ebay or look at your local outfitter to see if they are doing a gearswap or rental equipment sale,......
    I can't think of any tent that fits what your looking for size/price/weight wise....
    good luck

Images

i guess what i'm asking is this: is the cheaper stuff (coleman, eureka, wenzel) going to hold up decently or am i just throwing my 50 bucks away. like i said, i won't be taking this tent to mt rainer or anything like that. just a little weekend getaway late spring/summer/early fall w/ the lady

Images

also, if poles are heavy or suck, are replacement poles an option for all tents?

Two person, pretty big. It's listed as $120, but I got mine for $100 and I've seen them cheaper. Got a lot of miles on it and taking it out again for this year's hike (Ga. - Md.)

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products....&cat=60&id=133

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    hi guys! just getting back into hiking (was pretty into it in my late teens and then sold all my gear for beer money in college). now that i'm older and wiser (debateable) i'm looking to get back into it...

so my younger days only dealt w/ 1 person gear. well now i have my gf too, and on occasion her little beagle. so i'm looking for a good, 2 or 3 person tent for her and i, and sometime for duncan.

other info: i will not be camping out w/ her over the winter b/c screw that. i'll be chilling in front of the fireplace watching football. so i'm looking for a 3 season tent. waterproofing is a definite plus but i don't need one that can handle a monsoon. again, i'm older and don't feel i have anything to prove by looking for some crazy weather to 'just see if i can handle it'.

money, as always, is an issue. i can't justify anymore than 100 bucks for a tent. i mean, it's a tent...
    A 3 person tent for $100? Go to Walmart and get an Ozark Trail tent. It will leak the first night but what the heck, you saved some money. The fiberglass poles will split in any high wind and, uh, did I mention it will leak?

And forget about a tarp unless you like biting noseeums giving you little welts and carpenter ants crawling over you thru the night.

Images

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eure...K&dept_id=3057

Have fun carrying it. This site is Eureka's outlet site. Sometimes they have fun stuff.

Cabela's Bargain Cave is another spot. It will be heavy, but might get you and she out there.

Campmor is probably your best option, but bring more money.

Or read the next post!

Images

If you can go to $115 dollars here's the tent I recommend www.rei.com/product/767962 My wife and I use this Sierra Designs tent and there's plenty of room for us and our dog.

hikingPA, so far it looks like it down to two tents.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Two person, pretty big. It's listed as $120, but I got mine for $100 and I've seen them cheaper. Got a lot of miles on it and taking it out again for this year's hike (Ga. - Md.)

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products....&cat=60&id=133
    Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    If you can go to $115 dollars here's the tent I recommend www.rei.com/product/767962 My wife and I use this Sierra Designs tent and there's plenty of room for us and our dog.

Images

Kelty Gunnison 2 is a little over 100 bucks, check on ebay or a local outdoor store. Great tent for the money; has a nice rainlfly with 2 vestibules, might be nice to have the extra storage for the doggie stuff too. Weighs about 5 lbs total. Also nice solo tent if you like having some extra room, which is what I use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    also, if poles are heavy or suck, are replacement poles an option for all tents?
    I looked around a lot for a decent 3 man. A nylon tent is a nylon tent to a certain extent.....
    A lot of the price difference is in the poles.

Aluminum replacement poles seems to be pricey...If you want liteweight, you gotta pay.

Better to buy the hi-dollar tent to start, than a cheaper tent and replace the poles, is what I found. I'm refering to dome style tents.

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. You can't go wrong. It's light, it's well-proven, and it can usually be had for a bit over $100. Good for two adults, but not three. (Maybe three kids...)

Mountain Gear has the Sierra Designs Electron at $119.97. 5# 5oz.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

thanks so much for the imput guys! keep it coming...

Images

SIGHHHHHHHHHHH

i know you guys are right. as w/ everything in life you get what you pay for!

these are my shoes... cost a pretty penny but so worth it. i love em

http://www.shoebuy.com/the-north-fac...-_-none-_-none

I have a 2-person Sierra Designs Sirius (love it). Great tent, $90.00 on campsaver.com
    Or check on ebay, I bet you could find it cheaper!

Images

on the subject of tents. i'm right on the border for regular/large at a hair over 6'0"...

should i go w/ a long bag or just get a regular? i'd gladly hump the extra 4 ounzes and get a good night's sleep...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++