WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

Default MSR pocket rocket

well i went to a local store and picked up a msr pocket rocket. It only weighs 3 oz pretty nice anyone have a exp. with these

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Yep, I've had one for several years..... It's a wonderful little stove, low maintenance, and boils water pretty quickly..... On the down side, it doesn't perform real well in very cold weather unless you keep the fuel canister warm....

Randy

Never used one, seen a lot of them though. If I didn't have a Jetboil, my next choice would be a Pocket Rocket; you got a good stove - gotta love the simplicity of it.

the pocket rocket is great, lightweight, burns well and even, trully a great stove.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

I love my alky stove, but the pocket rocket looks really nice and I've heard nothing but good things about it. If I were to ever buy a canister stove, that'd be the one.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I have the msr superfly. For an extra 2 ozs. you get a flame spread out over a wider area. The pocket rocket heats the middle of the pan, the superfly heats more evenly over a wider area, which is important for cooking a wider variety of foods. As HikerRanky said, these little canister stoves do not perform well in cold weather. White gas stoves are best in cold conditions.

Images

Needs a wind screen. Wind plays havoc with it. I've seen a few designs for wind screens, but you must be careful not to completely enclose the canister and raise the temp too much.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Needs a wind screen. Wind plays havoc with it. I've seen a few designs for wind screens, but you must be careful not to completely enclose the canister and raise the temp too much.
    Exactly. I am allergic to shrapnel. That's why I haven't tried it.

i love mine, and my little Ti pot that goes with it. but i have to agree about needing a wind screen. i've wasted a lot of gas trying to cook in the wind! the manufacturer says not to use one tho so i was a little wary- the thing gets insanely hot. can you direct me to the wind screen designs you've seen?

thanks

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by blackedoutcoupe View Post
    well i went to a local store and picked up a msr pocket rocket. It only weighs 3 oz pretty nice anyone have a exp. with these
    Excellent little stove. For short trips, you can use one of the small jetboil canisters instead of taking a bigger MSR canister, but it makes the stove less stable, so you'll have to be more careful.

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

I personally don't think that a windscreen is necessary.... just put yourself between the wind and the stove..... Of course, at 6'6" and 278 pounds, I make a very nice windscreen

Randy

I have one and I love it. I just use a windscreen made out of tinfoil. Nothin' to it.

Images

Default pocket rocket

The pocket rocket is the shiznit. In cold weather buy the mix fuel, made for cold weather. You can also warm the canister with your hands if its real cold. You'll see it frost up and thats when its time to remember what mister meogi taught you. Meaning, you rub your hands together first.
    Lumber

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

sounds great cant wait to use it i think it will fit perfect dwn in my kmart grease pot.......

Quote Originally Posted by blackedoutcoupe View Post
    Too tall, too tippy, poor pot supports, poor wind performance.
    Lots of folks seem to like them however.

Yes , I have had one for several yrs, never had any probs. w/ it, although it doesnt work real well when its really cold out, i usually switch to my alcohole stove in winter.

had mine for several years and it great. I used the canister in an emergency once when a fellow hiker sprained an ankle. When the canister turned frosty cold after burning a while , we used that canister to keep the swelling down. If trying this remember to keep something between the canister and bare skin.

That is why MSR designed the Wind Pro.

Images

I've never had a problem with my mine. It's cheap, light and reliable.
    I usually use alcohol stoves but the Pocket Rocket comes in handy for longer cook times like when using the "Bakepacker" etc.
    I agree that the Pocket Rocket isn't the most stable of stoves but it is an all around good canister stove on the cheap and light.

I'm guessing about 30-50% of thru-hikers are using the PR or one of its equivalents nowadays. Of course it "works." The issues all have to do with canister resupply. Generally not a problem, except in certain areas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++