WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default dry/powdered tooth paste

Rather than bring along a small tube of regular paste; any suggestions on a dry type that might, for the same weight, last longer? brand names welcomed. Thanks, Mark S.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

It's called SALT.

Just kidding, but you can use salt as an alternative if you run out of toothpaste. I just wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but is excellent at polishing teeth periodically.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Baking soda works also...

You can use baking soda. if you can handle the taste.

A little baggie with baking soda mixed with a drop or two of peppermint extract or oil would work. Be sure it's an edible oil, and not some "aromatherapy" fragrant oil which are not good to eat.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Brushing with baking soda takes me back to childhood...my mom would make me brush with baking soda and peroxide every now and then to whiten my teeth (she was way ahead of Crest and Colgate). She also made me soak my elbows in lemon juice periodically. Now I'm totally self-conscious about the color of my teeth and scalyness of my elbows.

Scaly elbows are indeed unattractive. Your mother was onto something.

I've been using baking soda for at least 4 months now, trying to get used to it before my thru. I went to my dentist for a cleaning last week and they said my teeth looked great and there was hardly any plaque, so it seems to work really well. I like it better, anyway...too many chemicals in toothpaste.
    NOBO starting March 16

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

Have you ever checked out someones elbow.... and thought damn, he/she would be a knockout...... if it werent for those ratty ass elbows??????........I dont remember ever even noticing elbows at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Have you ever checked out someones elbow.... and thought damn, he/she would be a knockout...... if it werent for those ratty ass elbows??????........I dont remember ever even noticing elbows at all.....
    That's always the first thing I check out, it's a good proxy for their general hygiene. And I have a feeling this is something you'll be paying more attention to in the future!

i was checking out toothpowder the other day, and it IS baking soda, with a lot of other crap thrown in. i brought baking soda with me last year and i'm sticking with it as it doubles as deodorant. only downside is there's no fluoride ion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Have you ever checked out someones elbow.... and thought damn, he/she would be a knockout...... if it werent for those ratty ass elbows??????
    That's always the first thing I check out, it's a good proxy for their general hygiene. And I have a feeling this is something you'll be paying more attention to in the future!
    to you all!!! Now that I know my mother was right, people really do notice my horrendous elbows, I'm going to need counseling to overcome my poor body image I can't imagine what you're saying about my knees behind my back...
    Last edited by Pennsylvania Rose; 02-22-2008 at 11:54.

Toothpaste drops in a food dehydrator

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose View Post
    to you all!!! Now that I know my mother was right, people really do notice my horrendous elbows, I'm going to need counseling to overcome my poor body image I can't imagine what you're saying about my knees behind my back...
    Just smile.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...&u=&ist=Powder

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    yeah, that's the stuff i saw. its baking soda. they also throw in some tartaric acid and a few carbonates to make it fizz, so you think it's working i guess. i can't see spending 6 bucks for baking soda. i really actually like the idea of dehydrating regular toothpaste- at least you get the fluoride ion.

baking soda with a pinch of salt. My great grandparents (and probably yours) used it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

someone on BPL put drops og toothpaste on a strip of wax paper and dried in a dehydrator. Just add water they say. The thread also said it sould be done the same way by laying it on your dashboard in the sun. Let me know if it works!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kytrailman View Post
    someone on BPL put drops og toothpaste on a strip of wax paper and dried in a dehydrator. Just add water they say. The thread also said it sould be done the same way by laying it on your dashboard in the sun. Let me know if it works!!!
    doing it right now...

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Just take a little travel tube of toothpaste with you. It weighs all of 1 or 2 ounces?

Images

Just take a little travel tube of toothpaste with you. It weighs all of 1 or 2 ounces?
    really. the only reason to use an alternative would be if you prefer that to toothpaste. As a weight saver, not worth it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++