WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dog Safety Issue

Hi All,

I ran across an interesting issue while on a trip to do some maintenance on my section. I came across a couple with a dog on a leash and usually I pet the critters, but they said not to because the dog was not so friendly. I talked to them for a while -- come to find out the dog was a rescued greyhound still learning his manners.

Anyway, the interesting part of this is that the greyhound would attack other dogs running up to it. So, they were being responsible for keeping their dog under control and on a lease but the other dogs running up to it w/o leases may have been at risk for an attack. I warned several others coming up trail w/o leashes about it because I knew they would be turning around and coming back. But it was an interesting take, that even though a person's dog is sweet and wouldn't hurt nothing that being off leash was putting them in danger.

I'm still not sure what I think about this -- was the dangerous dog's owner irresponsible for just having him in the environment? Are the non-dangerous dog's owners irresponsible for no leash? Anyway, thought I'd post about a different angle on safety from other dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post
    I'm still not sure what I think about this -- was the dangerous dog's owner irresponsible for just having him in the environment? Are the non-dangerous dog's owners irresponsible for no leash?
    Definitely the latter. Even if a dog is under voice-control, other people can't tell that by looking. The "dangerous" dog's owners have him under their leashed control, he won't hurt any other dog that is also controlled.

Images

This is a good issue to bring up.
    Wise to ask.

Don't feel poorly when it turns into a hissy fit.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Greyhound owner was being responsble. The dog won't leanr manners until it is given a chance to learn them. Not right to coop him up. The owner's dog who lets them roam free do so at their peril. They are the ones not doing what they are supposed to. When I am walking my dog, I never let her approach another dog. I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Images

Grayhound owner is doing the correct thing.

I had a dog that was a rescue and really mean. Was out hiking and of course he was on a leash. I was hiking around a group of people I didnt know) and just let them know not to pet him - they were fine with my dog.
    Problem came up when a lady came hiking onto the rocks (we were climbing across a "ledge") with her dog off the leash - the other people told her to leash the dog cause they didnt want it loose, she didnt and her dog went to say hi to my dog, I yelled to the lady to call the dog back - she didnt , just looked at me with that "whatever" look.

My dog and I were on the ledge and when the dog got close, my dog went to protect me - almost ended up pushing me off the rock to get to the other dog - I was able to get my dog to stay for a minute. Thats when I punched the ladys dog on top of its head - the dog took off, (he wasnt a mean dog but my dog would have tore him up) the lady was going to bitch about me hitting her dog but the other people told her to leave the area..... she did, with her dog still off the leash!.

Anyways, the Grayhound owner did the right thing. You also did the right thing to warn the other dog owners, you didnt have to do that but it was great you did -

* This was my dog Cody, that passed away last year, not Hudson - he would never hurt someone on purpose.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 02-22-2008 at 14:53.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    When I am walking my dog, I never let her approach another dog. I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them
    Right on! Glad to hear that, even when the owners say they are friendly, I still try not to startle a dog by just heading over to it fast - you never know.

Always let the dog check you out and approach you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Right on! Glad to hear that, even when the owners say they are friendly, I still try not to startle a dog by just heading over to it fast - you never know.

Always let the dog check you out and approach you.
    Wrongway ...
    here's a picture of Aldo when he doesn't want to give his frisbee back. Just adorable huh?
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Grayhound owner is doing the correct thing.

I had a dog that was a rescue and really mean. Was out hiking and of course he was on a leash. I was hiking around a group of people I didnt know) and just let them know not to pet him - they were fine with my dog.
    Problem came up when a lady came hiking onto the rocks (we were climbing across a "ledge") with her dog off the leash - the other people told her to leash the dog cause they didnt want it loose, she didnt and her dog went to say hi to my dog, I yelled to the lady to call the dog back - she didnt , just looked at me with that "whatever" look.

My dog and I were on the ledge and when the dog got close, my dog went to protect me - almost ended up pushing me off the rock to get to the other dog - I was able to get my dog to stay for a minute. Thats when I punched the ladys dog on top of its head - the dog took off, (he wasnt a mean dog but my dog would have tore him up) the lady was going to bitch about me hitting her dog but the other people told her to leave the area..... she did, with her dog still off the leash!.

Anyways, the Grayhound owner did the right thing. You also did the right thing to warn the other dog owners, you didnt have to do that but it was great you did -

* This was my dog Cody, that passed away last year, not Hudson - he would never hurt someone on purpose.
    The greyhound owners were definitely on the right track, but your story brings up another point.

I always hike with my own dog on a leash, and she responds to my commands, but those commands are non-verbal, since I can no longer speak. However, because I can't speak, I also cannot call off someone else's dog with a command that the other dog might understand. I can't even ask the other people to leash their dog, because of my inability to talk. Because of this, if I sense a threat from the other dog, I have very limited options: I can step in between the two dogs and stamp my foot repeatedly, I can plant my staff in between the two dogs, or I can swat the other dog (with my staff, my foot, or my fist). Now, I'm not afraid of being bitten (been there, done that, and I have medical insurance for myself), nor am I afraid of the aftermath of swatting the dog (I know a few good lawyers, if it came down to that), but you never can tell what kind of handicap someone else may have just by looking at them coming down the trail. A loose dog in this situation can really precipitate an unexpected problem when I try to protect my dog from the loose one.

"Leash 'em up!"

Wow, this brings back memories of my dog Bonnie. She was a rescue with real baggage. I had a heck of a time with her around other dogs. She was a great trail dog up until someone decided to let their dog off leash. People coming the opposite direction behind their unleashed dog would always say, "Don't worry he's friendly," well, good for you, mine isn't. For the most part a quick sidestep off the trail was all it took and I'd put myself between the two dogs. Sometimes that wasn't always a possibility. If the trail was narrow with high sides or a drop on one side, etc. there was no way for me to step off trail. Nothing bad ever happened but it was beyond frustrating for me to have some strange dog chasing us in circles as I kept myself between the two. Looking back, I should have just stepped out of the way and let my dog at the other. I don't know why I cared so much about protecting the unleashed dog when I'd repeatedly told the other owner to get it to back off.

I had Bonnie trained to automatically step to my right side whenever anyone came the other direction and where possible I'd move over with her and she'd sit and let the other hiker(s) pass. She was also trained with the 'after me' command so on narrow sections she was directly behind me and not the first thing people saw as they approached. So the only time she was a problem was when another dog got in her space. Only dogs who ever got in her space were dog's off leash and not trained to recall on command.

Images

And then you have the owner that says yes, it's ok.

After the nip, oh I forgot she doesn't like uniforms.

Suburban, but memorable.

(Aldo just wants more gravy.)

Images

my coco was a rescue that didn't get along w/ other dogs, i had a hard time just walking her when i first got her, wouldn't think of taking her on a trail or anywhere there would be other loose dogs, it took alot of work, but walking in my neighborhood, i started getting her to remain calm when another dog would be walking accross the street, then walking being okay when we pulled aside to let another dog pass, then walking near a smaller than her neighbor dog, then walking next to that dog, then walking w/ a bigger than her neighbor dog, u get the idea, and each of these big steps can be broken down in to many smaller steps. it wasn't untill after a few months of her acting fine around other dogs that i would take her on day hikes.

I think the greyhound owners would be at fault if some thing happened, they knowingly took a dog thats aggressive towards humans and dogs, into an environment w/ high possibility of loose dogs and loose kids.
    w/ an aggressive dog you must be careful, you can't go just anywhere, just because other dogs can go there. they must keep their dog in a controllable environment to deal with its issues slowly.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

I've had problems like this at Patapsco State Park. Angus and I hiked there almost every weekend for a year. Occasionally we'd get backed up against a tree or an outcropping by an unleashed dog. Angus wouldn't hurt a flea, that's part of the reason he's such a great dog, he's very submissive (though he does keep the backyard free of squirrels and bluejays). I'd simply call out, "You have one minute to get this dog" and then when the minute passed he'd get a few stern pokes with the business end of a hiking pole.

Cruel? Perhaps. But it was nicer that the business end of my Mora should I or my dog have been attacked.

Other folks have it right.....while dogs are ALWAY the owner's responsibility, when one lets their dog run free, it is the owner's risk, period, and their liability, if it comes to that.

But on the other hand, people need to use common sense when around dogs, even if they are leashed. It's not just "free" dogs that cause problems. The worst experience I've had in recent years with a dog was was with one who was tied to a post, unattended. With no exaggeration whatsoever, the owner is lucky he did not complete that afternoon with either a lawsuit or a dead dog.

THAT being said, people frequently make the mistake that ALL dogs are friendly, and this just isn't so. Some are skittish when left unattended. Some get skittish and overly defensive not when leftunattended, but instead, they get this way when they are "protecting" their owners (this happens MUCH more frequently with dogs owned by women). So the person that said approach ALL dogs with caution and suggested that one ASK before petting a dog was making a great deal of sense.

All dogs on a trail should be on leash. The people letting their dogs run loose should stay off trails.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post

I think the greyhound owners would be at fault if some thing happened, they knowingly took a dog thats aggressive towards humans and dogs, into an environment w/ high possibility of loose dogs and loose kids.
    w/ an aggressive dog you must be careful, you can't go just anywhere, just because other dogs can go there. they must keep their dog in a controllable environment to deal with its issues slowly.

Sorry but I disagree 100%. The person being unresponsible is the unleashed dog. No matter if you bring a agressive dog into a area around other people/kids - fact is, that dog is under controll. If the other people do not watch their kids or have a dog unleashed, its their fault if the kid/other dog gets bit.

I took my dog (Cody - the aggresive one) to a park that has a lot of kids/people and dogs around. I kept control of him, kept him away from everyone. This one parent was at the park, watching her other kid play soccer. I was walking Cody about 50 feet from the people when that lady had her child run from her and go to pet my dog. Even before the child got close, I yelled to the lady about her kid and told the kid the dog would bite her. The child looked back at her mom, her mom just sat there on her fat arse, the child started to come closer at which time I put Cody behind me and told the child to get away or the dog will bite her. The childs mom never even said anything or trie to get her kid away, the child is the one who walked back over to her mom - after I yelled at her.
    This is what I woul consider child abuse - the mom knew her child was in direct danger of bodily harm and did nothing to stop it.

Same as if you had your dog unleashed on the trail, if your dogs loose and got mauled by my dog - too bad, it happened because your dog wasnt under your control or comand. Your at fault.

Not that I wouldnt try to stop it from happening but if your not taking control of your dog or keeping your child safe - only one you have to blame is yourself.

Also, to add, I would never had taken Cody around in a tight space with other people/animals. I also always got off the trail so others could pass safely. He was never in close enough area to lunge and grab someone - at the same time he was only aggressive to people or animals that approached us.

*Not sayn you are like this......

HHmmmm..... going by your statement.... they knowingly took a dog thats aggressive towards humans and dogs, into an environment w/ high possibility of loose dogs and loose kids......., I would think it safe to say that everyone that drives past a dog park or school would be at fault for hitting a dog/child that runs into the road because they knowingly drove a deadly weapon (car) where there was dogs/childeren play'n? I know its stretching it but the same common sense theory applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

THAT being said, people frequently make the mistake that ALL dogs are friendly, and this just isn't so. Some are skittish when left unattended. Some get skittish and overly defensive not when leftunattended, but instead, they get this way when they are "protecting" their owners (this happens MUCH more frequently with dogs owned by women). So the person that said approach ALL dogs with caution and suggested that one ASK before petting a dog was making a great deal of sense.
    I used to teach safety around dogs and cats to pre-schoolers. #1 ask the owner if the dog is friendly and can you pet him before approaching dog on a leash. #2 never approach a dog in a car or tied up. #3 never approach a stray animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    Can't agree with you on that. The greyhound was under control and the owners were responsible in giving everyone fair warning. They did their part to safely keep their dog at distance. If the greyhound somehow got out of their control and away from them, then yes, they would be at fault for any resulting injuries. But a dog running up to the greyhound while it's under direct control, it's the owner of the other dog who's at fault. If a person lets their dog violate another person or dog's space, and the dog gets hit, bit, kicked, etc... it's the owner of the loose dog's fault, not the other person or other dog's fault.

A responsible dog owner will also be more than willing to accommodate another dog's limits. I was on a group hike a couple weeks ago where one lady had two dogs who were fine being around other dogs but just didn't like being approached by them. She made a great hiking partner b/c her dogs were under her control and everyone else respected their limits. If my dog had gotten nipped because of approaching her dogs after she told me not to let it happen, then yes, it would have been my fault for not keeping my own dog under control and away from her dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Greyhound owner was being responsble. The dog won't leanr manners until it is given a chance to learn them. Not right to coop him up. The owner's dog who lets them roam free do so at their peril. They are the ones not doing what they are supposed to. When I am walking my dog, I never let her approach another dog. I tell my kids, all dogs are unfriendly until their owners tell you otherwise and give you permission to pet them
    That is so true. Why are so many people so oblivious to this idea?

Greyhounds are generally not agressive dogs--spooks, yes--aggressive, no. They will tussle it up with other dogs if provoked, and they have very thin skin (meaning if they get in a tussle, they are likely to bleed more easily than most other dogs).

Might have been they just didn't want anyone petting their dog, so they said he wasn't friendly--or they might have been trying to socialize him a little more than he was used to...or I suppose he could have been absolutely vicious, but this would surprise me (easy to say, since my retired greyhound is loudly snoring by the fire and has been doing so most of the day)...but they did have him on leash and they did give verbal warning. I think they were handling it correctly, if the dog really was a bit aggressive.

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    All dogs on a trail should be on leash. The people letting their dogs run loose should stay off trails.
    Nature isn't just for people to enjoy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++