WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How well does tyvek hold a grommet?

If you use tyvek as a ground cloth, it will likely envelope you & kill you in your sleep. It may clone you first... perfectly replicating you & replacing your corpse with a replicant. DuPont is diabolical.

Quote Originally Posted by cheflovesbeer View Post
    If you use tyvek, remember it is directional! It is made to let moisture out of your house. Put the lettered side down or it will let the moisture into your sleeping bag.

Not true, Tyvek is not directional. They tell you to mount the tyvek with printing side out so the advertising is showing, no other reason.

Yes when using it you should put the printing side down and keep the ugly printing hidden.

I'm still planning on replacing my 2 pound gortex bivy with a tyvek flap taped to my full sized blue foam pad along one side. I would drape it over my sleeping bag and tuck it under on the other side and the bottom, but it would roll up flat with the blue foam pad. I would also like to try one of those tyvek suits in winter as an overgarment for extreme cold.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Arrow 5-8

5-8 is a prison sentence. Are you in prison? I've never heard of someone actively planning a thru 8 yrs in advance. You have my applause and incedulity.

My ankle is wearing away. I asked my doctor, should I stop hiking? Am I eating up the fixed # of miles I have left. Dr. responded that in 20 yrs they'll have ankle replacements - don't worry.

As for Tyvek, 8 yrs from now hey will have invented something "better", if that's at all possible.
    Be Prepared

That's a good point BlackCloud. I think all people should endeavour to finish a thru-hike alot healthier and happier than when they began. It doesn't have to be a death march. It should be just normal healthy living. That said, our bodies don't last forever. and were never meant to. Good luck with those ankles. When one goes, you've still got the other until those spare parts finally show up. Cheers.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a good point BlackCloud. I think all people should endeavour to finish a thru-hike alot healthier and happier than when they began. It doesn't have to be a death march. It should be just normal healthy living. That said, our bodies don't last forever. and were never meant to. Good luck with those ankles. When one goes, you've still got the other until those spare parts finally show up. Cheers.
    THX 4 the "support"
    Be Prepared

I used it two years ago and when I folded it up I used magic marker to write, "Hiker to town" on one side and "Hiker to trailhead" on the other side. I thought it helped as a sign.

I was doing a little search on the subject myself; including multiple suppliers on-line. This site had the best prices (cheap) beyond looking for a free construction handout. www.zpacks/accessories/tyvek.shtml. I'll be ordering some before my next hike. $8.75 for a 4.5 x 7 foot piece.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HIKER7s View Post
    Hey when you wash it (in cold water and no soap), does it mess the washer up with anything?
    NO. i use warm with fabric softener. works good. after softened it takes stain perty well. i was using mine for a tarp,. wanted the white out of it. used a oilbase deck stain. whit still shows through, but not as stark.

Images

I'm still planning on replacing my 2 pound gortex bivy with a tyvek flap taped to my full sized blue foam pad along one side. I would drape it over my sleeping bag and tuck it under on the other side and the bottom, but it would roll up flat with the blue foam pad. I would also like to try one of those tyvek suits in winter as an overgarment for extreme cold.
    Nice call JAK... that might work pretty well... and be dirt cheap...

Default Not sure I'd do it that way, JAK...

If you tape your groundcloth and sleeping pad together, IMO you'll find thoroughly cleaning either to be more difficult.

Images

I bought a box of six six XL paint suits on eBay the other day for like $10.00. Going to wear one out in the rain to see how well that works in a storm. Yea, my neighbors will think I'm nuts ! Will let you know when I make the test ! LOL
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Tyvek

Quote Originally Posted by travis71 View Post
    If you use tyvek as a ground cloth, it will likely envelope you & kill you in your sleep. It may clone you first... perfectly replicating you & replacing your corpse with a replicant. DuPont is diabolical.
    Tyveklicants?

Help Help .... the world is being repopulated by Tyveklicants .....

Sounds like a bad 50's sci fi flick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++