WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by snick View Post
    Wheels are inherently inaccurate, because the wheel doesn't measure all of the surface; it only measures what it has touched.

ok, i was really trying to avoid asking this, but what the heck does that statement even mean exactly?

tdoczi, I trend to agree with the statement. I can think of several areas where the wheel would not be accurate. Example, covering the rocks on the trail going from Hump mountain to 19E. Just too rough of a terrain to roll the wheel. I will say this however, my logged gps mileage was within .1 of a mile compared to the listed mileage of the Carvers Gap to 19E section. I believe that the .1 of a mile difference was from when I walked out of the tree line and saw Hump mountain Saturday evening. I promptly turned around and camped at the Bradley gap campsite.

Please disregard my last comment. I just reread the comment in question and am now also confused by it.

Quote Originally Posted by snick View Post
    Wheels are inherently inaccurate, because the wheel doesn't measure all of the surface; it only measures what it has touched.
    Exactly... If you had a microscopic wheel to measure with, the distance from GA to ME would be nearly infinite!

There is a difference will be there between the map and actual miles. Map are used mainly for directional signs and simultaneously distance about the area also. A treasure map is drawn to a scale of 2 inches = 3 miles, like-wise different types of maps are available according to the needs and specification areas also. Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.

That means that wheels can't be trusted to measure anything except for a flat surface, no bumps and no depressions.

The wheel not completely going over (touching) every inch of rocky surface area is a non-issue, since our feet also don't touch every inch of rocky surface area we walk over. And if one were to shoot a laser from point A to B it (the lasar) would not measure all the surface area it passes over, not to mention it wouldn't even measure the zig-zags.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    The wheel not completely going over (touching) every inch of rocky surface area is a non-issue, since our feet also don't touch every inch of rocky surface area we walk over. And if one were to shoot a laser from point A to B it (the lasar) would not measure all the surface area it passes over, not to mention it wouldn't even measure the zig-zags.
    but but but BUT the maps HAVE to be WRONG! I just KNOW it!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep thinking that and ask the rest of us on the trail what the distance is,and we will give you the correct answer by reading the maps!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Just keep thinking that and ask the rest of us on the trail what the distance is,and we will give you the correct answer by reading the maps!
    a) i think "how much farther?" is the dumbest question on earth. b) if you read more than my last post i was being VERY facetious.

Check out the coast line paradox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

Basically it says you can't really measure something like a coastline or a trail. The length of the trail will always depend on the length of the ruler you use to measure it. For example we could just draw a straight line from the beginning to the end of the trail, but that would be too short because the trail is wiggly. We could draw a line to the midpoint and from the midpoint to the end and our measurement would get longer. We could continue to break it into quarters, eighth, sixteenths etc. and the trail would always get longer. As the ruler gets smaller and smaller the length of the trail does not converge to any specific length. Now I know a trail isn't a fractal so it won't be infinitely wiggly, but for our purposes the smallest ruler we use is the length of a human pace. Even with the wheel measurements they have to be careful not have it move too serpentine over the trail but have it mimic a human's walking pace or their measurement would be too long.

Journal Entries
    Images

I work with two wheels to measure houses physical perimeter for termite treatment. As I measure the front vs the back often I am off by 1 foot due to terrain or mulch or some object. Wheels are to get close to the truth, pedometers are USELESS Jokes.

We have had several jobs that have blown up into full arguments with staff over wheel vs Google Earth from practical experience. It has cost me a friendship at work. Everyone wants to be right - just because you think you are right.... doesn't mean you are.

Yea I like this thread.. because it calls out a goofy fact of oops!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Who cares? Just get out and hike.

I had gone through the post. There is a difference will be there between the map and actual miles. Map are used mainly for directional signs and simultaneously distance about the area also. A treasure map is drawn to a scale of 2 inches = 3 miles, Basically it says we can't really measure something like a coastline or a trail. The length of the trail will always depend on the length of the ruler we can use to measure it, like-wise different types of maps are available according to the needs and specification areas also. Could you please provide some more attachments about the topic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinsmar View Post
    I had gone through the post. There is a difference will be there between the map and actual miles. Map are used mainly for directional signs and simultaneously distance about the area also. A treasure map is drawn to a scale of 2 inches = 3 miles, Basically it says we can't really measure something like a coastline or a trail. The length of the trail will always depend on the length of the ruler we can use to measure it, like-wise different types of maps are available according to the needs and specification areas also. Could you please provide some more attachments about the topic.

oy, not again already.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinsmar View Post

wait 6 weeks, sign up with a new username and try your post again? interesting technique.

Images

the maps are wrong I'm staying home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the maps are wrong I'm staying home.
    Andy, your holding it upside-down!

Images

but my compass needle is pointing South instead of North.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    but my compass needle is pointing South instead of North.
    Ozjacko is in big trouble next spring!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++