WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Aquamira v. Polar Pur

We're trying to decide which to use: aquamira or polar pur. I've always used polar pur in the past, but don't much care for the taste or the way it makes my bottles smell eventually. (Something about that strong smell before you even take a drink )
    I've never used Aquamira and don't know anyone who has. I was wondering if any of ya'll have tried it and what your experiences were.
    I know that a bunch of people boil or filter or do nothing, but for me, boiling takes too long to cool, filtering is expensive and sucks when it breaks, and I've been there, done that with the G bug and don't care to go back.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Carried/used AquaMira during my entire thru in 2003. Also a former PolarPur user. Still have some PolarPur in the cabinet but didn't like the idea of long term iodine intake. AquaMira is light, easy to use and unlike PolarPur, does not need to be "refilled" in order to be used on a continuous basis. Of cource, AquaMira does have to be mixed (part A/Part B) but that in the end was easier for me to remember than refilling the PolarPur.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Aqua Mira

It is very effective in my opinion. I started with a pump filter and it crapped out. It also clogs and the replacements are expensive.
    I don't like the taste of Iodine, Yuck!

As far as cost for a Thru, however, it's about the same as a pump filter pretty much. About 5 purchases or so.

Images

Make sure you try it.

If you are on city water, one thing.

Well water, well, kind of like swimming pool.

AQ works well but is expensive per ounce treated. Polar Pure is not rated for crypto which could be an issue in the mid atlantic areas that are rural agricutural. (note AQ is rated for crypto but requires long contact time). AQ doesnt have a taste unless there are a lot of organics in the water, then it has a bit of a chlorine smell. No known long term use issues (its used in public water suppliers)

The local outfitter (just south of the Mahoosucs) sells a lot of AQ to thruhikers and not much else.

Images

I started a thread in straight forward a while back titled Polar Pure vs. Aqua Mira. Some nice folks gave me some good information. If you search this thread you may find it useful.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

AquaMira kill everything, including Cryptosporidium in 15 minutes. 30 minutes when it's below 32 degrees. At least that's what the package says.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    AQ works well but is expensive per ounce treated. Polar Pure is not rated for crypto which could be an issue in the mid atlantic areas that are rural agricutural. (note AQ is rated for crypto but requires long contact time). AQ doesnt have a taste unless there are a lot of organics in the water, then it has a bit of a chlorine smell. No known long term use issues (its used in public water suppliers)

The local outfitter (just south of the Mahoosucs) sells a lot of AQ to thruhikers and not much else.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Another thing to consider, if you opt to try the AquaMira (Chlorine Dioxide), is the same formulation in tablet form. Not practical for during the day use but great for treating a larger supply of water you gather in your campsite for dinner and the next day.

The tablets require longer dwell time to kill all the micro-orgasms (mispelling intended ) and therefore they are great for overnight use. Here is a link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...r_tablets.html

I carry them now and treat anywhere from 2 - 4 liters while I am sleeping.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We used liquid Aqua Mira exclusively on our hike but it got somewhat expensive (there were two of us). And not all outfitters charge the same either on the trail (The guy at Daleville was expensive). But we had no problems with it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I use Aqua Mira. Has very little, if any, taste. Used Iodine tablets for years, this is a major improvement. It is more expensive, but not unreasonably so in my opinion.

Images

I used Aqua Mira during my 07 thru-hike and loved it. I only had a problem once when a water supply was so muddy that I had to get someone to filter a couple litres for me, this happened at Rice Field Shelter just north of Pearisburg. It had rained very hard that day, normally the water supply would have been ok in spit of the .4 mile trek to get it. The link below gives you a great Dosing Strategy for use with Aqua Mira. I used it the whole way and never had a problem and my Aqua Mira treated a lot more.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...treatment.html
    Pootz 07

Default Problem with the tablets...

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Another thing to consider, if you opt to try the AquaMira (Chlorine Dioxide), is the same formulation in tablet form. Not practical for during the day use but great for treating a larger supply of water you gather in your campsite for dinner and the next day.

The tablets require longer dwell time to kill all the micro-orgasms (mispelling intended ) and therefore they are great for overnight use. Here is a link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...r_tablets.html

I carry them now and treat anywhere from 2 - 4 liters while I am sleeping.

'Slogger
    They cost over twice as much per volume of water treated as liquid AquaMira. Bring some along if you want a backup, but don't rely primarily on them during a long, already expensive enough thruhike.

BTW, I used AM all during my thruhike. I recommend it highly. Do prefilter your water before treatment unless you like crunching down on bugs, silt, leaves, etc. I used coffee filters, but even a bandanna would be better than nothing.

I genereally stick a bandanna over the waterbottle as I fill it; keeps most of the krispies out. (I also try not to look too closely once I've determined that the water's mostly clear.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Just to keep the thread going.

After using several bottles of Iodine I discovered it was making me sick & dehydrated. Aqua Mira need to be in room temp to be effective in cold water I have read warnings of "wait 4 hours" So now I pump it all though a pro filter. What do you think?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Cryptosporidium is highly resistant to iodine and chlorine dioxide. Filter.
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...poridiosis.htm

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Good News/Bad News

Quote Originally Posted by tx.katie.finch View Post
    I know that a bunch of people boil or filter or do nothing, but for me, boiling takes too long to cool, filtering is expensive and sucks when it breaks, and I've been there, done that with the G bug and don't care to go back.
    Thoughts? Ideas?
    The bad news is that, unless tested specifically to determine exactly what you had, you likely did not have Giardia lamblia.

The good news is, if in fact you did contract it, you likely have built up an immunity to further occurrences of the little beasts and therefore now need to do neither of the aforementioned.

I do nothing but drink-but i am selective where.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    The bad news is that, unless tested specifically to determine exactly what you had, you likely did not have Giardia lamblia.

The good news is, if in fact you did contract it, you likely have built up an immunity to further occurrences of the little beasts and therefore now need to do neither of the aforementioned.

I do nothing but drink-but i am selective where.
    Ohh wait - Sulferous exccessive uncontrolable beltching and Explosive diarrea that blow the shorts off a hiker - Who needs to get tested? They won't do that again!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I liked how polar pur tasted, but aquamira is far superior in my opinion.

++ New Posts ++