WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PDF file for AT strip map

To print this in Adobe reader version 8:

1. Activate Tools'Select&Zoom'Snapshot tool
    2. Then select a good section of the map, say from the top down to Woodstock, VT.
    3. Then bring up the Print... menu. The preview pane should show what will be printed on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and should show about 95% scaling. If the preview is rotated to landscape, deselect the auto-rotate and center option. Once the preview looks the way you want it, go ahead and ok the printing.
    4. Repeat the above the rest of the map. It might be good to overlap each section. You'll have to use trial and error to select the right amount of map to fill the 8.5 x 11 pages without reducing the scaling much below 95%. It should be easily possible to get the whole strip map printed on 5 sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper at 95% scaling.

Images

Thats handy if you need it now, but you can just buy a paper version for $3

Images

I always thought it would be cool to put the entire AT elevation profile on one long scroll....

Default Elevation profile of entire AT

We spent hours on the trail brainstorming ways to do this and talking about how cool it would be. The only thing is almost every other map uses a different scale for the elevation profile. We were always entertained by the different map layouts. It was the source of a few good laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    AT strip map in PDF format
    Wouldn't it be a LOT easier to request a copy of the "Appalachian Trail" National Scenic Trail map from the National Park Service? As far as I know, these are free at the various National Parks as handouts and the same should be true through the mail.
    If anyone knows that there is a cost involved, please let me know.
    Obtain a Printed Park Map

To request a printed park brochure (which includes a park map), please contact Frances Cherry in the NPS Office of Public Affairs (address: National Park Service, Office of Public Affairs, Room 7012, 1849 C St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20240; phone: 202-208-4747; email: [email protected]). Be sure to include your address and postal code with the request.
    Grumpy Ol' Pops

Hold onto dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

ummm I don't quite know how to say this but the idea I had for this file was not to print it out - as others have mentioned the strip map is available other places in printed form - no - the idea was now I can pull up the map on my computer, zoom in / out as desired and old eyes dictate, and daydream

Hog. Thanks for the link.
    Micky

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rasudduth View Post
    We spent hours on the trail brainstorming ways to do this and talking about how cool it would be. The only thing is almost every other map uses a different scale for the elevation profile. We were always entertained by the different map layouts. It was the source of a few good laughs.
    I hear ya, the most laughable elevation layout was on the back of the national geographic smokies map... they squeeze 72 miles of trail into a 6 inch layout...sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Ol' Pops View Post
    Wouldn't it be a LOT easier to request a copy of the "Appalachian Trail" National Scenic Trail map from the National Park Service? .................
    But not as much fun as one on your computer. Good job HOI. I like it.

Thanks, Hog. I didn't know I could select and zoom like that. Great job.
    You are never too old.

wow thanks hoi...i can actually even see streets that i can't see in a map!!!
    hooray!!!!!!!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Quote Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
    But not as much fun as one on your computer.
    Fun? Then try the seamless USGS Topographic Maps on CD-Rom from National Geographic. Several years ago I picked up the Northeastern USA 10-disc set that includes the Installer, Buffalo, Syracuse, Adirondacks, Concord, Portland, Mt. Katahdin, Albany, Boston and New York City areas. That gave me complete topo maps of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. If you love maps, try it!!!
    Yes, you can zoom in on the AT and practically identify specific trees. Okay, that's a bit much, but it's close.

www.nationalgeographic.com/topo
    Grumpy Ol' Pops

Hold onto dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Images

I saved the *.pdf to my thumbnail drive years ago. It's always there for a quick reference when I want it. It's even saved to My Favorites so it's only a click away when I'm browsing online.

I've sent the link to WhiteBlazers following the hikes of others. Such individuals find it a helpful aid to appreciating what's involved with hiking the A.T. and figuring out where their friend(s) are located.

It's also one of the 1st things I'd PM to someone dreaming about an A.T. hike or actually planning one.

The printed version available from ATC would be an excellent gift for an A.T. hiker's support person or family member.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Thanks HOI,
    I'm forever reading a trail journal and trying to figure out where they are at. As others have said, It's a pain. My Streets and Trips doesn't have many of the locations listed as such. This is a big help to my vicarious trail life

Tom

Thanks HOI for thinking about us old farts that can't see. Including me!

++ New Posts ++