WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trail Name?

Images

Default Trail Name?

Just curious...I'm new to this and I keep hearing the term trail name. Do people determine this for themselves or are they "dubbed" a certain nickname?

Thanks.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

A little bit of both. Some people are given their trail names by others or stumble acrossa trail name that they beleive to ge a good fit while hiking. Others get a trail name beforehand. It just depends on the person. There's plenty of debate as to whether or not you should get a trail name before hiking some of the AT or not. And I'm not gonna get into that one.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I dubbed myself then got renamed by last years Nobo's in NC during April. I would introduce my Dog Chief and say I was Chief's Daddy. I believe Skip said "Hey ChiefDaddy" back at me and it stuck. I never would have guess it before hand for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallie8998 View Post
    Just curious...I'm new to this and I keep hearing the term trail name. Do people determine this for themselves or are they "dubbed" a certain nickname?

Thanks.
    Mine was given to me at Hawk Mountain Shelter several years back and it has stuck down through the years. There was approximately 20 people at the shelter that night and we were introducing ourselves and when it came my time and I gave my name, someone yelled out "Rowdy" an so it is.

Images

Also, some change their trail names often, or get it changed by others, while some like/insist on keeping their favorite trail name forever. Some names are given by others, some chosen by oneself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Also, some change their trail names often, or get it changed by others, while some like/insist on keeping their favorite trail name forever. Some names are given by others, some chosen by oneself.
    You are 100% correct!

Images

Well I got tired of trying to find a trail name that realy suites me, so I just went with my nick name I had since I was a baby.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A lot of the newbie hikers will pick their own or take on an existing nickname.

If you have a nickname that your family and friends, start off with that.

Others use their Internet names, favorite food/drink, book, or hobby.

Eventually you will pick up a trailname given to you by other hikers. Usually a funny incident.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    Eventually you will pick up a trailname given to you by other hikers. Usually a funny incident.
    Ah, yes . . . "terms of endearment!" When that happens there's no changing it unless you speed up or slow down to fall in with a completely different crowd.

Talking

Bloodmountainman is a name given to myself as a user name for this site. It's refers to where I'm living. Moses is my Trail name given to me by my Dad at an early age.
    Moses

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    Moses is my Trail name given to me by my Dad at an early age.
    Why so? Were you and he in bad need of water and you struck a nearby rock with your hiking stick and water poured forth?

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Let one come to you. I was given mine by a southbounder (started as Wonderfoot) then it was shortened by another hiker in 06.......I dig Wonder, and go by it almost full time now. Of course.......I do live in Damascus........

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Default Long Story

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Why so? Were you and he in bad need of water and you struck a nearby rock with your hiking stick and water poured forth?
    I learned about the baby Moses floating down the Nile, in a basket, in Sunday school. I didn't believe a basket would float, so I decided to test it, in the bathtub, using a plastic clothes basket. It didn't float, and I flooded the bathroom with my experiment. When I explained this to Dad, he dubbed me Moses. I keep the name to honor my Dad.
    Moses

Images

Cool! That's a better story than mine!

I've decided not to choose a trail name for myself. I am going to wait for someone like L.Wolf to give me one, but it has to be done in person. Don't know when I'll be down that way but I'm looking forward to it. My intention would be to go SOBO, so I might need a temporary name to start off. I suppose JAK will do for now. I'm hoping L.Wolf will coming up with something better than "JAK +++" or "JAK ++++" or "Don't Know JAK". I'm sure he won't disappoint me.

It's a AT thru hiker subculture thing. You will notice some shocked looks if you don't have one.

Never gave myself one. Had a few over the years that were given to me. Wife decided on the most recent.

++ New Posts ++