WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Socks!

Journal Entries

I purchase socks when i purchase shoes. I can usually get a better deal that way and I am getting all of my foot needs taken care of and know how the socks and shoes feel together. I thruhiked with 2 smartwools and 1 darn tough. wearing cheap nylon liners from wally world. all three pair lasted my entire hike. i replaced the liners often (300miles) for comfort. i never had any blisters or raw feet.

Mostly the Costco "dumbwools", as we call them. Cheap and effective. In colder weather, mid weight Smartwool.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Costco Smartwool clones. We call them dumbwools. They are the weight of light hikers, comfortable, and wear well in day to day use. 4 pair/$10. For a long or hard trip I'd go genuine Smartwools.
    Yep, +1 on this. Just took 2 pair of Dumb-Wools on 160 miles of the JMT. Performed great, can't beat the price, but only ~80 miles each and they are showing significant wear (probably still good for twice that mileage though). Again, the price is certainly right, but for the AT next year, I'll go with actual Smart Wool. Maybe I'll do an experiment: One pair of each, swap daily (what I do anyway) and see how the wear compares.

"Darn Tough" brand socks (of Vermont) have the highest percentage of merino wool content that I've been able to find, 69% for their boot hiker socks.

I've found them to remain comfortable even when wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartwool PhD short style.. no liners.

Three pairs.
    1) Thick pair of wool to sleep in or provide extra cushion if my feet start to hurt.
    2) Thin pair a Wigwam
    3) Thin pair of Smartwool

I like having different sock as they each provide a different feel when wearing them. If the Wigwam's start rubbing a spot on my foot then I switch to the other's.

Gotta put in another vote for Darn Tough. I still have the ones from my thru, plus I've bought more since. They last forever. I don't wear any other socks anymore. I adore them.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Any good quality merino is okay. My favorites are Icebreaker and Smartwool. The Darn Tough are a little too dense to provide cushion I like. Fitts are good socks but the elastic, or whatever they use, makes them too tight on my feet.

Journal Entries

I have several. They are all the same. Vert light, very thin.
    Both polyester and wool. 1.75-2.0 oz maximum
    Really doesnt matter. Poly dries faster, wool smells less . Both work fine wet or dry.
    Just want a cuff to protect ankles from scraping

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    '09...............
    Ok... I don't know anyone else from the class of '09'. I knew a lot from the class of '08' and '10'.

I keep thinkin about you hiking this winter. I hope VA won't be as cold and snowy as they are predicting but then again you might prefer it, if you are really into winter hiking. Bring it!?!

I wore my Darn Tough socks every day last week. Still didn't smell after 7 days.

Glad this thread has started. My wife thinks my sock obsession is embarrassing, especially when I talk about it at family gatherings. I think that any of the high end hiking socks are worth the price regardless of brand. But my favourite light-weight, quick-drying, cheap option are diabetic socks, with a women's trouser sock liner. If necessary you can add some body-glide or vaseline for wet weather.

Images

I wear low quarter Wrightsocks with trail runners. Very popular in the running community, they are double layer and very lightweight. Very cool and dry quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    "Darn Tough" brand socks (of Vermont) have the highest percentage of merino wool content that I've been able to find, 69% for their boot hiker socks.

I've found them to remain comfortable even when wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Merino wool content is a major sell point for you, you should try omniwool socks they are 75% merino wool. Resonably priced $25 for 2 pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Any good quality merino is okay. My favorites are Icebreaker and Smartwool. The Darn Tough are a little too dense to provide cushion I like. Fitts are good socks but the elastic, or whatever they use, makes them too tight on my feet.
    I also found them too tight. The exacerbated my inclination to develop blisters on the inside of my little toes. They don't stretch much at all. I like a sock with a looser toe-box.

Images

Ditto on the Darn Tough being too tight for me. They're great socks and they seem like they'd last forever, but they just crush the hell out of my feet. Then again, I have freak feet.

I've found Injiji toe socks to work best for me..

Ex Officio InsectShield quater crew planned 2 pairs per 500 miles or so

Thin liners with SmartWool or DarnTuff ankle socks.

Shoes and socks go together. I pair each as trails and conditions demand.

About 75 % of the time I go with Smartwool mid wt 1/4 ankle PhDs. They are definitely my thru-hiking sock of choice. According to Smartwool Reps they have a new weave/material combo in the heel, toe and high abrasion areas. I have worn out so many PhDs but honestly think this yr's new model PhDs are longer lasting and more cushy in those high abrasion/wear areas. Love em!

Bridgedale Trailblaze low(1/4 ankle) mid wt or Bridgedale X-Hale Multisport 1/4 Ankles are excellent.

Eastern Mountain Sports 1/4 ankle mid wt merino wool are decent too and surely better than REI's 1/4 ankle similiar wt merino blend socks. EMS puts its socks on sale occasionally.

Testing out some merino wool blend FITS now. They seem good so far.

Very cold conditions and/or snow and I go to a taller merino wool sock which are typoically Smartwools.

Images
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++