WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default soliciting pack opinions

I am trolling for opinions on packs. I am not sure which way I want to go, & kinda flappin in the wind. Unfortunately, I am not close to any outfitters, so trying packs on is out of the question.

My first glance I was lookin at a Mariposa Plus. I am a big BIG fan of supporting the little guy, & Grant was very responsive to my inquiries about the pack. I got to readin up on it before I pulled the trigger, & decided against it. I was afraid of shredding the pack on some of my hikes, because it is fairly fragile. The other con to it, was the fact that its likely WAAAAAY to large for any of the hiking I will be doing. ATM I cant imagine being on the trail for more than 2 or 3 nights max. So I started looking for something smaller. I am currently looking at these two packs

http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.htm

and though not a mom & pop shop

http://www.rei.com/product/747515

the REI pack also comes in a 60 for $30 more. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck on the pack, while trying to stay relatively light.

Thanks much for the input guys!

Images

maybe look into this:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33288

can't beat that price

Although I try to support Mom & Pop, all other things being equal, not at the expense of choosing the best product. Choose the best pack. Unless it's made with child or slave labor, or of endangered animal skins, buy it. Maybe you can find a Mom & Pop outfitter to buy it from.

It's always hard to recommend a particular pack, because fit is so individualized. But, I can give you my feedback on the REI UL pack. I have an earlier version of this that I got on a big clearance sale about 2 years ago, maybe less. At first, I didn't really like it, because I couldn't get the fit right, but I ran into someone else on a trail who had the same pack, and he showed me a better way to adjust it. Then I was good to go. The floating suspension on my pack really lets me bend and twist with the pack always staying centered on my back, which I like. I'm a gal, and tho big, I have a girl walk that rolls, so I like the weight to stay centered. For 2-3 night stays, this is the pack I go to. There are less pockets and compartments, but that isn't a huge prob for me. I'm a pretty simple packer. I can fit my sleeping back (in compression sac), UL thermarest type pad, food/cooking gear, hydration, essentials, and usually a couple extra comfort items in it. I've used it about 10 times on short trips, and I'm still liking it.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by travis71 View Post

and though not a mom & pop shop

http://www.rei.com/product/747515

the REI pack also comes in a 60 for $30 more. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck on the pack, while trying to stay relatively light.

Thanks much for the input guys!
    Two things:

1. If you at all enjoy your time in the woods, you will most likely spend more than 2 or 3 days out eventually. As a matter of fact, you will dream of being out there most every day.
    2. I own both of the REI packs you mention, the Quick 45 and the Cruise 60. I love them both. They are well constructed and carry loads very well. I have used my Cruise 60 more simply because I am out for a week at a time any chance I get.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Thanks for the link Hiking PA, I had a look at the go-lite packs early on & they didnt really appeal to me. :/

Lellers, thanks for that review, I appreciate it! I realize that no one can tell me THIS IS THE PACK FOR YOU! But user reviews are the best I can go on.

Sam, I would be more willing to say I will be out for a week at a time, but I am tethered by the wife & kids... who arent into the hiking/camping thing.

Section by Section
    Images

I would be more willing to say I will be out for a week at a time, but I am tethered by the wife & kids... who arent into the hiking/camping thing.
    I am married to a non-hiking wife and have two boys who are still too young for long distances. My wife loves the attitude and demeanor I exhibit after several "detox from the world" days in the woods. I was going to cancel my planned 7 day section hike coming up in a few weeks and she got mad at me when I told her so.

My trip is back on.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    I am married to a non-hiking wife and have two boys who are still too young for long distances. My wife loves the attitude and demeanor I exhibit after several "detox from the world" days in the woods. I was going to cancel my planned 7 day section hike coming up in a few weeks and she got mad at me when I told her so.

My trip is back on.

Wow... SOme guys have all the luck... you are a jerk for sharing that with me. :P

Angry Be careful!

At 60yo, I finally gave away my exterior-frame pack of 20ys, and replaced it with an interior frame pack. After a year I still can not get use to the thing May sell it and go back to a interior frame again!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Travis...

The Conduit is a great pack. My avitar is of me on the Long Trail using one. Here I am in the ULA customer gallery. Another one you might check out is the MLD Zip... even lighter, but still a strong pack.

Images

I switched from my external Kelty Tioga that I had used for decades a couple of years ago. I chose a ULA P2 based on the many positive comments. I have been 100% (more if that were possible) satisfied with this pack. It is much lighter, though not really an ultralight. This allows it to be a fairly robust pack, one that has shown virtually no wear in the two years I've used it. It is very comfortable to wear, and because it is smaller than my Tioga, I'm not as tempted to overload it with "might as well" objects.

Consider a ULA very seriously, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I like my Osprey. I think they make a smaller one.

anyone used one of these bad lads?

http://www.rei.com/product/762485?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Images

anyone used one of these bad lads?

http://www.rei.com/product/762485?vcat=REI_SEARCH
    The Ridgeline is a lot heavier than it need to be for the support and volume offerred. (And I DO work for REI.) I much prefer the Cruise 60 or Quick 45. Personally, I prefer my ULA Catalyst to any of these three.

However, I've been favorably impressed with the new REI Venturi 40 (http://www.rei.com/product/762501?vcat=REI_SEARCH). It will be my pack this late Spring and early Summer on the Benton MacKaye Trail where I hope the ventilation will be worth the extra 12 ounces versus the ULA Circuit.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Bearpaw, I am going to hire you as my personal attache! You really helped me when I got my Black Diamond Trekking Poles!

If I were going to go with a ULA, I would get a Circuit, but its above what I am confortable spending. I was lookin at gettin the Ridgeline for ~$130ish shipped... so I was giving it some serious consideration. It IS a big heavier than the Cruise, but it also has the panel zipper, which I like. I also was attracted to the Granite Gear Lat Vapor, but again, I couldnt find it with a magic price tag attached.

I hate making decisions.

Just got a mariposa plus from gossamer gear. I really like it. Check it out.
    Mike

Images

Bearpaw, I am going to hire you as my personal attache! You really helped me when I got my Black Diamond Trekking Poles!

If I were going to go with a ULA, I would get a Circuit, but its above what I am confortable spending. I was lookin at gettin the Ridgeline for ~$130ish shipped... so I was giving it some serious consideration. It IS a big heavier than the Cruise, but it also has the panel zipper, which I like. I also was attracted to the Granite Gear Lat Vapor, but again, I couldnt find it with a magic price tag attached.

I hate making decisions.
    I would say go with either the Venturi 40 or the Cruise 60. If you are an REI member, you can get either for $104 + shipping with your 20% coupon in March. If you are not a member, become one for free and still pay only $124 ($20 for the membership, then use that to get the 20% off = $26 off). Base the ultimate decision on which one you need for volume. In warm weather I know I could easily manage 5-7 days on the Venturi 40, but this is with a hammock, poncho liner, and poncho as both rain gear AND the fly over the hammock. YMMV. The cruise may be better for you.

And this is not to totally dismiss the Ridgeline. I would call it a good pack for those who expect to carry some dense weight at times, like desert hikers who know they will have to carry 6 quarts of water or climbers who want to bivy on the way to a climb and carry 25 pounds of rope and climbing hardware. This is why it's heavier than comparable packs of the same volume. For general purpose backpacking, it isn't my first choice though.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Well, I was actually checking the Cruise 60 out online... then I figure I had better amke sure & measure my torso... The Cruise 60 says its good for 17-19" but my torso length is in the 20-21 range. :/ Any other suggestions?

Images

Well, I was actually checking the Cruise 60 out online... then I figure I had better amke sure & measure my torso... The Cruise 60 says its good for 17-19" but my torso length is in the 20-21 range. :/ Any other suggestions?
    The 17-19 inch torso is for the MEDIUM length Cruise. Order the large which is for 19-22 inch torsos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++