WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sleeping pad

Images

Default Sleeping pad

I know I had a thread on this once before, a couple of months or so ago, but I can't find it now. When the Backpacker Gear Guide came out I got all jazzed about the new Big Agnes Clearview pad - 2" inflatable and only 11 oz. Perfect. I already have the 2" inflatable insulated air core but it's just too big and heavy for me to carry. I cannot sleep on the thinner pads - I end up numb and practically paralyzed and getting zero sleep. And no, I don't believe you ever "get used to it." Anyway I ordered a Clearview from an outfitter only to be told a few days later that they don't have it. I emailed Big Agnes and they said it won't be out until May 15th. I need something within the next couple of weeks. I also have a Thermarest self inflating pad - - too heavy and too thin. I need to keep it under 1 lb and I need decent cushioning. Any suggestions??????
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

From the response I'd say your ahead of the curve. Not yet or the old fashioned way - on top of a pile of leaves.

Maybe try looking into exped down filled mats they will keep you warm. Or maybe try a hammock you can get that for under a pound and it is more comfy then a 10" pad.

to the post above, i am not so sure about a ten inch pad, (basically an air mattress.) no shoulder squeeze.

yeah basically there is no golden extra cushy extra light pad yet. but the BA pad sounds nice in the future, but i wonder how reliable and durable it will be.

try the Z-Rest , you will be surprised how well it works. Just fold it up and go, it floats and it does not go flat. weighs in at about 18 oz , give or take a few

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sixhusbands View Post
    try the Z-Rest , you will be surprised how well it works. Just fold it up and go, it floats and it does not go flat. weighs in at about 18 oz , give or take a few
    I have the Z rest (orange one side, gray on the other, folds up in rectangles). I use it as an extra under pad. I'm going to sleep out in my tent tonight in the backyard and try using just the Z rest.

Big A also has a REM pad that's not insulated and not clear.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BAG...Pad-Mummy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I know I had a thread on this once before, a couple of months or so ago, but I can't find it now. When the Backpacker Gear Guide came out I got all jazzed about the new Big Agnes Clearview pad - 2" inflatable and only 11 oz. Perfect. I already have the 2" inflatable insulated air core but it's just too big and heavy for me to carry. I cannot sleep on the thinner pads - I end up numb and practically paralyzed and getting zero sleep. And no, I don't believe you ever "get used to it." Anyway I ordered a Clearview from an outfitter only to be told a few days later that they don't have it. I emailed Big Agnes and they said it won't be out until May 15th. I need something within the next couple of weeks. I also have a Thermarest self inflating pad - - too heavy and too thin. I need to keep it under 1 lb and I need decent cushioning. Any suggestions??????
    If you are having comfort issues this serious, the only relief you will ever find from them is a hammock. A hennessy hammock with that BA aircore pad of yours in a Speer SPE(segmented pad extender) and you'll sleep like a baby. I'm 48 and I can still sleep on the ground with no problem but I find a hammock much more comfortable and restful.

I also don't see why you need to spend money on a pad to save a pound, reducing your pack weight is always good but that isn't always the answer, maybe you need a better fitness program. Some people spend a grand to drop five pounds of pack weight when they are fifty pounds overweight, your knees can't tell the difference.

I vote for a switch to a hammock too.

But, the last time I went to ground I lucked-in to a very comfortable pad combination of an old Oware pad (7oz) and a 20+ year old Thermarest. I folded the Oware pad along the long axis and inserted the Thermarest into the fold. It was a very comfortable night...no pressure points, no cold, no slipping off the pad(s). A really great improvement over the Thermarest for just 7oz more...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    I vote for a switch to a hammock too.

But, the last time I went to ground I lucked-in to a very comfortable pad combination of an old Oware pad (7oz) and a 20+ year old Thermarest. I folded the Oware pad along the long axis and inserted the Thermarest into the fold. It was a very comfortable night...no pressure points, no cold, no slipping off the pad(s). A really great improvement over the Thermarest for just 7oz more...

FB
    That is a good combo, Thermarest sells a ladies pad that is supposed to be better padded at a woman's pressure points. Maybe one of those in 3/4 length with a full length evazote pad would work for you. I reccomend you go to hammockforums.com and ask around. There are periodic "hangs" where hammockers get together and campout and check out each others gear, many have several hammocks and would be glad to bring one for you if you let them know. You can find out if it is for you and it will only cost you travel expense.

How tall are you? Can you use a 3/4 length pad? You stated that the BA pad is too big and too heavy. Bad news is, it's not going to get too much smaller than that pad for packed size. And as far as weight, you're not going to trim much weight off if you carry any 2.5" inflating pad. By the time you factor in bringing an insulating closed cell pad to use in conjunction with the uninsulated inflating pad, you're pretty close to the same weight, not to mention much more bulk. I'd suggest a 3/4 length pad if you're comfortable on one.

FYI, use the closed cell pad on top of your inflatable pad. The closed cell pad provides insulation by trapping heat, not blocking cold. It will be much more effective as the layer next to your body, not next to the ground.

Of course, if you can live with just the Z Rest then you're winning the weight game. You might be able to couple the Z Rest with another pad and keep the weight down. That's sort of what I do.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Since I read that thread about staying dry it got me to thinking about using two 1/4" closed cell foam pads with my clothing sandwiched in between. Something to try anyways.

Images

that's probably a great idea jak

Images

Default Back to the BA

So........I put my tent up in the yard last night and threw in the Z pad to see if I could sleep with just that. I even set the tent on top of a thick pad of pine needles. Can't do it. I would sleep and wake up about every 15 minutes - in so much pain it hurt to turn over and my arm and hand would be numb on whatever side I was on. Fell asleep on my back once and woke up paralyzed from the pain. I did stay out all night though. I've decided I spent the $80 on the Big Agnes, I might as well carry it again. I'll fold it down and put it on top of my folded Z pad strapped to the bottom of my pack. And I do know to put the Z pad on top of the BA - that's why I bought the Z, because the BA was a big block of ice in the cold.

Bag--- try a therma rest trail. the short weighs 15 oz. and gives about 1.5 inch of thickness i think. they only cost like 30 bucks and are super comfy. just like a prolite only rectangle with different covering.

So........I put my tent up in the yard last night and threw in the Z pad to see if I could sleep with just that. I even set the tent on top of a thick pad of pine needles. Can't do it. I would sleep and wake up about every 15 minutes - in so much pain it hurt to turn over and my arm and hand would be numb on whatever side I was on. Fell asleep on my back once and woke up paralyzed from the pain. I did stay out all night though. I've decided I spent the $80 on the Big Agnes, I might as well carry it again. I'll fold it down and put it on top of my folded Z pad strapped to the bottom of my pack. And I do know to put the Z pad on top of the BA - that's why I bought the Z, because the BA was a big block of ice in the cold.
    Sounds like you'll either get a hammock or become a day hiker.

I've decided I spent the $80 on the Big Agnes, I might as well carry it again. I'll fold it down and put it on top of my folded Z pad strapped to the bottom of my pack. And I do know to put the Z pad on top of the BA - that's why I bought the Z, because the BA was a big block of ice in the cold.
    Mrs. Baggins,

Which version of the Big Agnes Insulated pad do you own? Is it one of the non-self inflating pads that you blow up? The ones I am familiar with pack down to a small rolled size in a stuff sack.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Mrs Baggins - I am with ya. I want the clearview too! The first time I visited the website it had a delivery of March 15 and now it says May 15 -- ughh. For me it is an intermediate step. I will eventually get a Claytor Jungle Hammock. But for now and for my backpack in April, I guess I will just stay sore with my thermarest.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    to the post above, i am not so sure about a ten inch pad, (basically an air mattress.) no shoulder squeeze.

yeah basically there is no golden extra cushy extra light pad yet. but the BA pad sounds nice in the future, but i wonder how reliable and durable it will be.
    Bridge hammock eliminates shoulder squeeze. Also shoulder squeeze only affects wider shoulder people badly

++ New Posts ++