WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone have a fairly new Canon Digital?

I did a fresh install of Windows XP on my laptop and I can't find the Canon software to re-install. If someone can send it to me so I can install it, I'll return it with a trail video.

Deal? PM me for my address.

Sly,

If you're talking about the photo transfer software...don't bother. The appropriate drivers are pre-installed on your camera. With XP you don't need it. Just plug the camera in through USB. I wasted 15 minutes on hold before I finally figured this out on my own.

What he said. Also go to the Canon web site, lots of software there.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

Canon drivers

Link to Canon's drivers. You can download everything that came on the CD from them.

Sly, that sucks aye? the new reinstall of windows?

I am having a problem with my windows and refuse to do the reinstall as i don't really have the month of hard work it would take me to get all the crap back on.

anyway, i bought a Canon Power Shot A570 and was wondering if you have anything similar. It sure seems to eat batteries. I bought it for the price and the 7 megapixels but am not at all happy with the fact that it takes about 12 pictures at night and the batteries are dead. of course some of that is because i have used my rechargable batteries about 1,000 times and should go out and buy new ones but.................

Hey, are you offering MY videos as those gifts?

Just install Windows right over the top of the old Windows, don’t remove or delete the old windows. It will save all the old files & programs. It will reset all the Windows settings to the default settings. But most people don’t change these settings anyhow as playing with the settings scares people just as a reload does.

I have done several of these reinstalls with all versions of windows but Vista and it works every time. It probably will with Vista, but I can’t say for sure having never tried it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    anyway, i bought a Canon Power Shot A570 and was wondering if you have anything similar. It sure seems to eat batteries.

Use Lithium Batteries. I had the same issue, well, my wife did. I bought the camera and she got the batteries. We even sent it back to Canon and they sent it back saying it worked fine. My wife put regular batteries in and again, 10-12 pics and it went dead. I bought Lithium batteries and took it on a week long hiking trip and the batteries lasted all trip, and 8 months after.

Images

i bought a Canon Power Shot A570 and was wondering if you have anything similar. It sure seems to eat batteries. I bought it for the price and the 7 megapixels but am not at all happy with the fact that it takes about 12 pictures at night and the batteries are dead.
    I have the Cannon powershot A630 and got over 500 photos, and a few short videos, on 1 set of 4 AA alkeline batteries in tempertures that went as low as 25 below zero. Plus I'm still using the same batteries in the camera now to show the pictures over TV. I've gotta think that if you really only get 12 nighttime photos that there's something wrong with either the batteries of the camera.

FWIW: I went six weeks on one set of NiMH rechargeable AA cells on my Canon A620. I forget how many pix, about 500 I'm guessing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    FWIW: I went six weeks on one set of NiMH rechargeable AA cells on my Canon A620. I forget how many pix, about 500 I'm guessing.
    My batteries also last a long time. In my opinion not many other digital cameras takes a truer color picture. Canon still uses glass lenses. I am very happy with the camera.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Cannon

I use the Canon PowerShot A530. It's about 2 years old and takes very good pics.
    With the Lithium batteries, I've only swapped them out 2 times in the last couple of years. The batteries didn't really die, i just wanted to make sure I had enough for a long trip.

SD
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

I use eneloops with my camera. They are the new Nimh rechargables, that retain a 85% charge after a year of nonuse with a total of 2000 mah charge. The old nimh rechargables would lose half their charge after a few weeks or so. They are expensive, but have something like 1000 recharges.

I bought a ton of them and use them in all the electronics in the house.

I am having a problem with my windows and refuse to do the reinstall as i don't really have the month of hard work it would take me to get all the crap back on.
    Well , with the assistance of a guy on Wilders forum (long story here) I cloned my old 60 GB Seagate hard drive (using Seagate Disk Wizard- free and works as long as one drive is a Seagate, otherwise you need something like Acronis True Image) and upgraded to a bigger one (120 GB Hitachi- needed a USB enclosure) and repartitioned it (using GParted-free) so XP is on C drive and moved all my photos, music and documents onto D drive, rather than default C. Now I use Karen's Replicator (free) to back up that stuff to a 120 GB Western Digital USB external I bought on sale last summer.

Just re-installing XP (using the XP CD that came with my laptop) and then the needed drivers and programs wasn't too bad as I had the drivers and program downloaded installers saved beforehand to D in a separate folder. I only had to re-install a couple from CDs. Once that was done I used Disk Wizard again to backed up the C drive to the old Seagate. Now rather than taking all the time do do a complete reinstall, I can just restore the fresh install.

Simple!

Sly, the problem is you still have to reinstall all the software the way i see it.
    someone posted above that you don't but i don't want to take the chance.

I have tons of video editing software and codec conversion stuff that is just so hard to find anymore (downloaded a lot from the internet) as well as cracks for software bought in Bangkok, etc.

anyway, i have a THai computer genius that does it for about $7 for everything but he doesn't reinstall software. Thailand has it's advantages when it comes to paying for work.

Today I am going to possibly buy another computer JUST for the internet and hopefully keep this one just for video editing and multi-track recording.

Thanks for all the advice on batteries. not sure if i can buy some of that stuff here in Thailand but will go to the computer/electronics store today so will check it out.
    I too think the POwerShot takes great pictures but the batteries just don't last for me.???
    $

Images

Lithium is the way to go . . . you pay more per battery, but less per picture because they last so long.

I had (have) one of the A530's. The lens cover stopped opening all the way. Made it under the warranty by maybe a week. Came back OK. Seemed like it started using batteries pretty fast but that could have been my imagination. However, 90 days after the repair warranty ended, the lens cover stopped working again. As this was a repeat offense I sent it back thinking that, hey, it's a defective item maybe they'll just replace it.
    CANON wanted $105 to repair it or $110 for a refurbished A540.
    For $139., I got one of the previously mentioned A570 cameras from Amazon. While CANON has sort of pissed me off with their repair policy, it is a darn nice camera for the price. And it still has the optical viewfinder so I can shut off the screen and save power.
    So far, so good.

++ New Posts ++