WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Thanks for all the tips/info. Yes, I was aware about the limitations on camping in Sumter NF. I'll know more when my guide book arrives, but I believe I read the rule there is "camping in designated campsites only," of which there are few. Anyway, I'll plan accordingly from one night to the next, in that area particularly.

I don't think I'll have to worry about heat in April.

Hey Solemate, not to argue about the driving time, but if it's 76 miles of trail, and roads in between trail heads are always further in distance, if you can do more than 76 miles of mountainous roads in 30 minutes, I think I'll pass on riding with you!

Images

The only no camping rule on the Foothills Trail that I know of is along the Whitewater River. That is from Bad Creek to just below Whitewater Falls. I'll try to look it up to verify. Also, inside Table Rock State Park along the trail camping is not allowed. I'm not sure about Oconee State Park.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rentman View Post
    Not true on "You can Camp wherever you want", I believe it is the Sumter National Forest you can't camp, their aren't any campsites in this section any how. I couldn't find where it says that in the book, it must be on the map...............

Ooooops! Hopefully there is a statute of limitations on that one!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Hey Solemate, not to argue about the driving time, but if it's 76 miles of trail, and roads in between trail heads are always further in distance, if you can do more than 76 miles of mountainous roads in 30 minutes, I think I'll pass on riding with you!
    ??? I don't understand?
    Frosty

Is the guidebook and/or map really necessary for a thru-hike? I'm a fan of maps as much as the next guy, but if the trail is well blazed, I'd rather just take the chance. No need for a lecture on the necessity for taking a map for safety, but I'd just like to know if the map is really essential for navigation on a thru-hike. It would be really nice to have the guidebook for general info on the trail and where it is going, but I can't really afford to spend the money for a hike that will be over in 3.5 days. Any help would be greatness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    Is the guidebook and/or map really necessary for a thru-hike? I'm a fan of maps as much as the next guy, but if the trail is well blazed, I'd rather just take the chance. No need for a lecture on the necessity for taking a map for safety, but I'd just like to know if the map is really essential for navigation on a thru-hike. It would be really nice to have the guidebook for general info on the trail and where it is going, but I can't really afford to spend the money for a hike that will be over in 3.5 days. Any help would be greatness.
    A map is not necessary for the this trail.

Images

not to argue about the driving time, but if it's 76 miles of trail, and roads in between trail heads are always further in distance
    After checking further I am wrong! In this rare case, the roads between the two state parks is nearly a straight shot, and the trail winds all over the place - 76 miles of trail and only about 40 miles of road. Usually when doing an AT section, the driving miles is about double the trail miles. Oh well, I guess I'll have to pick Heyward's brain fast on the trail secrets!

Images

After checking further I am wrong! In this rare case, the roads between the two state parks is nearly a straight shot, and the trail winds all over the place - 76 miles of trail and only about 40 miles of road. Usually when doing an AT section, the driving miles is about double the trail miles. Oh well, I guess I'll have to pick Heyward's brain fast on the trail secrets!
    I'd bet on about an hour for this drive. Highway 11 is the quick part, but the last 15 or so miles is much slower driving.

Images

ONe hour is what google maps assigned it as well!

I ran a shuttle for a groups waaaay back, and remember it taking about 1 hr or so.

Beautiful trail BTW - I'd love to do it in the early fall when you could still go swimming.

I just finished the FHT 3/11-3/17 and was pleased with this time of year. I don't tolerate heat or swarming bugs very well, so this seemed a good time for it. With no leaves, there were more opportunities for views as well. Though the rain/thunderstorms were pretty severe on 3/14-15, but that was a fluke.

In reference to earlier posts, the only sites posted against camping are Oconee and Table Rock State parks and the Whitewater gorge area. There are no shelters, but plenty of established sites. IN many parts, the established sites would be the only viable option for camping unless you are solo or hammocking. We has a small group of 4 people in 3 tents, so we stayed in established sites the whole trip.

Water is not a problem. The longest stretches we found without water were around Rt107/Fish Hatchery (about a 4-5 mile stretch with no water) and between Hwy 178 and Table Rock where the trail stays higher longer and away from streams. there really isn't any water in that stretch except for the first/last few miles at the Table Rock end as you first ascend/descend Table Rock (depending on you direction of travel).

The trail is well marked, but the trail map was helpful for planning our days and knowing where upcoming water, spur trails and sites of interest were. I did buy the trail guide and read it a few times, but we did not take it with us.

We hiked from Oconee to Table Rock (it's about an hours drive as noted above) with the thought that the hike up and over Table Rock, Sassafras and Pinnacle would be better saved for later in the trip when we had our trail legs back. Not sure if that worked in our favor or not, since as noted, the trail is very difficult/technical. The stretch along the Chatooga, had lots of blow-downs, exposed roots, and false-trails making for a lot of backtracking and slow going. However, the last few miles coming down from Table Rock were also very difficult. Parts of that trail had to have been designed by a sadist at best or at worst, someone in league with the angry trail gods.

All in all a fantastic trip. We actually went almost four days without seeing another person on the trail. A real hidden gem.

Thank you very much Khanti for the detailed post-trip report. This is making me look forward to my hike toward the end of April even more. I'm going to look into getting the map now just to figure out water sources. But then again, it may not be an issue if there is water every 2 miles except in the areas that you talked about. Congrats on finishing the hike!

Images

I just finished up another hike of the FHT March 27-April 1.
    I went Table Rock to Oconee. This was my second late March hike of the FHT and this time of year works well for me. The leaves aren't fully out and the views aren't blocked. Last year I hurried through and this year I did a more relaxed hike. Last year I got baked by the sun and the temps were warm. This year I went 3-4 days without seeing the sun, got hailed on and had plenty of cooler weather- perfect for hiking in though. Last year I had the trail to myself. This year I ran into total of 10 people..not including Whitewater Falls which is almost always crowded.
    I did a small cache this year and next time I hike the FHT I think I'm going to do a couple more rather than carrying stuff I don't have to.
    There were several big blowdowns and signs of recent trail work. There's a brand new bridge in the Sloan Bridge area. I'd imagine that most of the remaining blowdowns will be removed quicky and may even be gone by now.
    The FHT is very, very well maintained and easy to follow. I don't carry the map but do carry a striped down guidebook. I ripped out all of the pages except for the detailed trail descriptions and fold out maps....I rarely look at the maps but it is nice to have the trail descriptions.

I'm hoping to do the FHT in early may and I've got a couple questions that one of you may be able to answer.

1. Howe are the bugs in may?
    2. Where is the best place for a food cache if you only plan on doing one. Further to that, having never cached food before, what are the guidelines to keep your food where you put it?

Thanks...looking forward to getting on the trail soon!

Images

Thanks SpiritWind for your feedback. My Oconee to Table Rock hike starts in less than two weeks now. Can't wait!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drivebyjustin View Post
    I'm hoping to do the FHT in early may and I've got a couple questions that one of you may be able to answer.

1. Howe are the bugs in may?
    2. Where is the best place for a food cache if you only plan on doing one. Further to that, having never cached food before, what are the guidelines to keep your food where you put it?

Thanks...looking forward to getting on the trail soon!
    Bugs are not bad in May in upstate SC.

No need for a food cache. But, if you really want one Whitewater falls parking lot would be the best place due to ease of access and its somewhere close to halfway. Put the food in critter proof container (like an ammo box or similar) and stash it in a spot where no one else would possibly look. Always LNT.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

How's the cell phone coverage along the trail (ridges of course)?

Images

Packed my food today and am 60% packed for my Foothills Trail hike. Heading down Friday after work and starting Saturday morning. Can't wait!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Bugs are not bad in May in upstate SC.

<snip>
    Don't bet on that.

Images

Phew..okay here's a couple responses to the last couple posts.

Bugs...There are plenty of no-see-ums in March and there will be more in May. A lightweight headnet is the only thing I use for them. I keep it in a waterbottle pocket and wear it when the bugs get annoying..one piece of gear worth the weight-nice to have along. I don't carry bug spray/lotion on longer hikes.

Cell Phone Coverage...forget it. Table Rock area, Sassafras and the last few miles of ridge down into Oconee. There isn't service for most of the trail. Maybe other providers or phones have better luck. I'm with Verizon and carry a Motorola phone.

Cache.. I like to cache whenever possible and decided on this past hike to start doing even more of them. I use military surplus metal ammo cans..which are rodent proof, waterproof and work great. I put mine near Whitewater Falls. Next time I plan to have one at Laurel Valley, one at Whitewater and one at Sloan Bridge. A cache doesn't have to be a big deal..it might just be a clean, dry tshirt, socks, a coke or beer, food, fresh batteries etc.
    I also like being able to use the cache box to leave things in that I don't need or want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++