WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Arrow Official 2008 NEW Montrail Hardrock thread

Okay, there's a been multiple threads scattered about WB regarding the problems with the Montrail Hardrock; they were great, but after Montrail got bought out by Columbia, problems came. The light gray has a different fit than the dark gray/yellow model. Less durable too.

I wrote Montrail last year to see if they changed the design of the Hardrock at all. They replied that they hadn't. Hmmm. Personally I can't really explain what exactly is different. It's just not as comfortable, especially after mile 12. Feels cramped

Anyway, Montrail just released a new 08 model of the Hardrock (link)

From Running Warehouse, here's the description:

Regular Width:
    Built for the long run. The Hardrock 08 gets a fresh look and increased breathability. Great performance and support for any trail run, now with more room in the toe-box. Full- length TPU plate offers the ultimate protection from potential bone bruising.

Wide Width:
    Built for the long run. One of the few wide trail shoe, the Hardrock 08 Wide gets a fresh look, but continues to deliver great performance and support for any trail run. Full-length TPU plate offers the ultimate protection from potential bone bruising.

I originally purchased the regular from Running Warehouse, but it still felt a little cramped in the forefoot when I tried them on, so I took advantage of their Zappos-like easy/free return procedure and exchanged it for Wide.

The wides were just delivered. I walked home during lunch and put them on.

Initial thoughts:

Plenty of room in the forefoot and toebox. That's important for me.

My footwear history is kind of weird. When I first started hiking like 5 years ago, I of course had boots and hated the weight. Then I went to Trail Runners and it felt like heaven. Couple years ago, I start running roads and trails. I used my Hardrocks for a while and it was fine. One day I go to a fancy running store and get a pair of Asics Road Runners. So light and comfortable. Whenever I hiked, the trail runners now were reminicent of how I felt with Boots. Still, I feel like the road runners don't have enough support for a rugged trail.

I have not tried the new Hardrocks since I still have a couple pair of the old ones (with the yellow on the soles). But I went to check them out at the local Fleet Feet last week and learned Montrail sells footbeds next to the Superfeet. The salesguy claimed he tried them and thought they were better than Superfeet. Maybe those would help your road runners.

Has anyone else tried these?

Images

Anxious to try out the new Hardrocks, I did a short dayhike today from rt 7 to Crescent Rock and back (Roller Coaster).

These shoes feel great. I LOVE the extra room in the toebox. I don't think this has much to do with me going to a wide - I tried out the old version of the hardrock's wide, and they still felt cramped in the toe. As the new description states, Montrail/Columbia gave more room there. It's great

Otherwise, they felt excellent. It's the reason why I had this shoe to begin with. The perfect combination of lightweight and support. I was walking over the rocks today with no problem at all.

Granted, time limited me from doing a long hike and obviously I didn't have a full pack on. But even when I was just walking around grocery shopping afterwards, they felt so much more comfortable than the first Columbia Model

Advice to hardrock fans who were unhappy. Give the 08s a chance.

New Hardrocks on Running Warehouse

I got a new pair of 13 wides and I really like them. Granted, I don't hike in them much and never backpack in them. I just use them for training/around town shoes. The only thing I can compare them to is my older pair of Montrail Hurricane Ridge shoes, which I also really liked. I personally don't see a quality difference between the two.

Bigben

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I was curious if anyone has the 2008 models yet. Thanks for posting.

One old-style pair is about 1/2 way done. I have another old-style pair in a box.

Probably by the end of summer I'll need a new pair.

Thanks again for the review!

(I love how Montrail won't admit there is no difference when it seems otherwise. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Just a little update - after Spring road running season, I finally got a chance to really test these.. day hike in the Smokys, Mt Mitchell and a 3 day backpacking trip on the Art Loeb (~30 lbs)

Not much to say other than I love these shoes. The extra room in the toebox is really great. They provide plenty of support on the rocks but still have the right amount of flexibility.

Still too early to say much about durability, but there's no problems there

Also I use a pair of Spenco polysorb hikers inserts

Thank You Columbia/Montrail

Images

Its funny you mention the Hardrocks. I have always worn boots because of problematic feet and knees. I felt I needed the support, but always wanted to try a trail runner. I studied the Hardrocks for a while. I love the thick sole on the shoe and thought they might be good to try. I went to a local outfitter, tried them on and loved them but they did not have my size in womens. I went to their discount store next door and they had 2 pair men's 8.5 clearanced for $20 a pair...YEP...$20 bucks. I tried them on not expecting them to fit and WOW, they fit perfect. The reason they were so discounted was because they were the older model--SO what! I lucked out and got the last 2 pair of 8.5s. I wore them on my Massie Gap to Damascus trip 2 wks ago. We did 15 miles the 1st day and 18+ the second day. They were amazing. Now I can give Gungho a run for his money.

Long live Montrail Hardrocks!!!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

i've put >100 miles of trail running in on these shoes since april, and have run on mostly rocky/rooty terrain. i also weigh 250. haven't had the first problem with these shoes. they are comfortable and seem to be wearing well and holding up just fine. i also have a weak right ankle that seems to turn every time i go trail running, but not since i started wearing the hardrocks. i can't say enough nice things about them.

Default trail runners for backpacking?

I'd like to move to a trail runner from boots. Have always had blister problems and sore feet in boots - learned to prevent the blisters but ALWAYS get a very sore forefoot. Hoping a trail runner like the montrail hardrocks and a good insole would help - would also like the lighter weight. My problem is that I'm a section hiker carrying about 40lbs on my 5 day hikes. Should I be concerned in a low top trail runner with a 40lb pack?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBlazer View Post
    IShould I be concerned in a low top trail runner with a 40lb pack?
    If you are not used to trail runners, and carrying a fairly heavy load, you may want to consider using lightweight boots instead. The Hi-Tec Altitudes are great boot that is not expensive and that I've suggested to a few people. They've been happy with them. (Traditional backpackers looking to lighten up a bit).

A person used to trail runners can probably shoulder a heavier load; a person new to trailrunners should not do this load carry. Trail runners works best with ~30lbs loads max IMO.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

So I've had a pair of the '08 wide Hardrocks for a couple months now and I really like them a lot. A couple years ago I bought my first pair of Hardrocks, in the normal width, and they fit fine. Last year's model I found a bit narrow and cramped, even in the wide variety. This year's fit is entirely different. Much more room in the toe box and I really think they are more breathable. The first time I went backpacking with them up in the Grayson Highlands I took them off at the end of the day (this was in June by the way) and my feet were entirely dry...not sweaty at all. I have no problem carrying upwards of a 25 lb. pack with these trail runners and have yet to suffer foot fatigue at the end of the day. I don't any bruising from rocks, even after hiking on some very rocky trails. However, I did receive a blister on each heel the first time I used the shoes...could have been from a variety of things, but things have mellowed out since.

Overall, I find the shoes just as supportive as the old models but a bit more comfortable.
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbennett View Post
    So I've had a pair of the '08 wide Hardrocks for a couple months now and I really like them a lot. A couple years ago I bought my first pair of Hardrocks, in the normal width, and they fit fine. Last year's model I found a bit narrow and cramped, even in the wide variety. This year's fit is entirely different. Much more room in the toe box and I really think they are more breathable.
    same exact situation here

Images

Those look like the first Columbia model that nobody liked. The Yellow color is the newest model that myself and SBennett like

Default socks and inserts with 08 hardrock

Do any of you use extra inserts with the 08 hardrocks and if so, how might it affect your shoe size. Also the same question regarding socks. I'm going to try a pair but I'd like to try and get it right on the first try. Thanks, Mark S.

Images

I use Spenco polysorb hikers inserts and wrightsocks. Works great. I'm going to try out Rebel Ingenius socks since I've had problems with wrightsocks getting holes (nothing to do with the shoe)

I ditched the insoles that came with the hardrocks as soon as I took them out of the box. I now use an insole by "Sole," which you can bake in the oven to get a custom fit. I have used a Spenco brand "dayhiker" insole that I still think might be the best I've ever used....I just have had trouble finding one in a local store.

As to socks, Ingenius socks work really well but as of late I've been hooked on Smartwool's new PhD socks. I find that they really stay put on your foot (no rubbing) and wick moisture amazingly fast. The "light" cushion are excellent socks and I also enjoy the PhD Trail Runner sock.
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Default Montrail Hardrock 2008 - Review

Having put the shoes through the paces for the past two months, I think I can finally give them a review

Background: I've become hooked on the Hardrocks in on my CDT hike in 2006. I've been using them heavily since. I think I am to 6 or 7 pairs of Hardrocks? So, yeah..I like 'em.

I tend to pack light (BPW sub-10lbs) and also enjoy day hikes that are often off trail and relatively long,too.

Use: I've used them for backpacking trips in

• Sunny and dry conditions
    • Wet conditions with rain
    • In light snow

I've also used on dayhikes that range from pre-work, 3 miles on nice trail to about 20 miles and sometimes off-trail

Conservatively, I'd put about 150 miles on the shoes. Maybe up to 175. (Since Sept 10 - Nov 2nd...Damn visit back East cut into my hiking time. )

So, feel like I put them through the paces

Initial Impressions: They do run wider than the Montrail pre-2006 (pre-Columbia) and 2006-07 (Columbia). I was on the cusp of a wide/normal fit. I think I should have gone with the normal fit. But, it was not a deal breaker by any means.

The 2008 versions seem to have more mesh and breathe well. Looking more like a running shoe than a trail running shoe in some ways.

The sole seems to be the same. Functionally, the shoe seems to feel the same, too. The nice mix of a stiff sole needed for hiking, but enough flexibility for running..or for fast hiking. In short, a perfect trailshoe!

Durability: Seems to be better than the initial Columbia offerings.

Overall: I like 'em. Seems to be like the Hardrocks of the pre-Columbia buyout in terms of durability and function. I may get the normal version as the wide version was a smidge too wide for me.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

How does the sizing run? I've heard all kinds of opinions. Too small, too large, just right....
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    How does the sizing run? I've heard all kinds of opinions. Too small, too large, just right....
    I honestly don't know. That is open ended question. What is the base comparison for "just right" ? I do know that the Hardrocks (at least in the 2008 model) seem to bit ample in wide in the toe box. As a contrast my "nice dress shoes" seem narrower though they are the same size in theory. My old style Asoslo ski boots are about the same size, but a little narrower than the Hardrocks.

Know what I am saying? I am guessing all the opinions are because it depends on the individual. Hate to say it, but the best way is to simply go into a shoe store and try 'em on.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++