WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Thanks for that, Mags! I have a problem though. I can't seem to get my Montrails off my feet.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I honestly don't know. That is open ended question. What is the base comparison for "just right" ? I do know that the Hardrocks (at least in the 2008 model) seem to bit ample in wide in the toe box. As a contrast my "nice dress shoes" seem narrower though they are the same size in theory. My old style Asoslo ski boots are about the same size, but a little narrower than the Hardrocks.

Know what I am saying? I am guessing all the opinions are because it depends on the individual. Hate to say it, but the best way is to simply go into a shoe store and try 'em on.
    Easy to answer. If you wear size 11 in other similar type shoes (other trail runners) did you buy an 11 in these or did you have to go up a size or 2? I doubt there is anyone remotely close by here that carries these in their store.
    Papa John

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    Easy to answer. If you wear size 11 in other similar type shoes (other trail runners) did you buy an 11 in these or did you have to go up a size or 2? I doubt there is anyone remotely close by here that carries these in their store.
    Well, as mentioned, they do seem a smidge wider than the pre-2008 versions. I probably could get away with not buying a 10w like I did with previous versions. (I was on the cusp).

Hope that helps. Ultimately, you may just have to order 2-3 sizes from a place like Campmor (easy return policy), try them on, and return the pairs that don't fit. It is a pain, but it is the best way I think to insure a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    Thanks for that, Mags! I have a problem though. I can't seem to get my Montrails off my feet.
    Good shoes indeed. To quote Scooby "I rike it!"!!!!
    Last edited by Mags; 11-06-2008 at 15:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

My size 12 Nike Pegasus are longer and a bit roomier than my size 12 Montrail Hardrocks.

I would say that Hardrocks run slightly smaller than a normal shoe, YMMV!

I love 'em though. They are a great shoe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Well, as mentioned, they do seem a smidge wider than the pre-2008 versions. I probably could get away with not buying a 10w like I did with previous versions. (I was on the cusp).

Hope that helps.

Images

was checking these out on backcountry.com's post-Christmas sale and there is a comment regarding that someone heard that this is the last year that they will be made. Anyone else hear this? I was thinking of trying them out.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MON...Shoe-Mens.html

go about 5 comments down.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I ordered and used a pair of Hardrocks last spring on the CDT. They were the only pair of footwear that were unwearable for me. It's VERY subjective, but the heel seemed too narrow and I could not stop it rubbing severely no matter what I did. Don't know what model year they were. A major lesson is regardless of what research has shown you that the only way to know what will work best for you is to try them out.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    A major lesson is regardless of what research has shown you that the only way to know what will work best for you is to try them out.
    Ain't that the truth. One person's favorite footwear could be another persons PITA..or pain in the foot as the case may be.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default What about cushioning?

I bought the Hard Rock shoes (over the internet) because people said they provide great cushioning for shock absorption, something my knees need. While the foot bed seems cushy, the tread is pretty hard. As I walk around the house, the shoes go crash, crash, crash, crash. As yet I haven't felt it in the knees, but I'm concerned what they feel after a 10 mile backpack with 25-30 lbs on my back going up to a Colorado 14teener.

Also the shoes seem a tad to narrow and short. They simply aren't as cozy-comfortable as my running shoes. Whether my laces are tight or loose, my foot feels like it is being held so tightly that it I wonder if it is constricting blood flow. I'm concerned about that because I can be packing in wet shoes with temperatures in the 30's or 40's.

Does anyone have observations about shock absorbtion and/or judging the right size? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

I felt the same about the hard rocks. I still have them for around the yard but I don't hike in them. The "wide" version is narrower than most of my other shoes that are standard width...I was very dissappointed.

I've had a pair of navy/grey hardrocks with the blue yellow soles since 2006 and I recently purchased an pair of the 09 yellow shoe and I regret that. I've had to return it since I developed a blister on the top of my right smallest toe and in the past that's never been a problem for me. I've since placed an order for the Spring 08 Navy/Grey and hopefully that are similar to my 06 shoes and less similar to the 09.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBlazer View Post
    I felt the same about the hard rocks. I still have them for around the yard but I don't hike in them. The "wide" version is narrower than most of my other shoes that are standard width...I was very dissappointed.

For those of you who love the new Hard Rocks …

I hiked the Trail in three pairs in 2006. The first busted because I wore an ankle splint in the shoe which killed the padding ~Pearisburg. The second made it the 1000 miles to Dalton, including the PA Rocks. The third pair hiked the rest of the trail and probably another 500+ miles since.

I bought a pair of the new shoes as the third seemed to be showing signs of giving up the ghost, and have been very unimpressed. After 400 miles, when the old shoes would have been pretty much brand new, the new ones had had their padding collapse. I now use them for trail running races on grassy or dirt trails, or for road running, but not for any sort of backpacking—the good old shoes from 2006 are still better if I have anything on my back.

I only wish Montrail/Columbia would bring back the old design, or sell it to someone who actually wanted to make something more than a glorified running shoe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++