WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long Branch/Kimsey Creek Loop

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be closing on some land near Asheville next week (yay!) so we are going to go up this weekend and do a 3 day hike around the Standing Indian loop. We plan to park at the Backcountry Info Center and start at either the Long Branch or Kimsey Creek trail (probably Long Branch and camp somewhere near Albert and head south).

I've tried to do my homework but I was wondering you guys can answer some questions.

First of all, are there any maps at the Info Center? I've not had any luck finding any online.

Second, from what I can tell, both trail intersect after you cross the river in the campground, is this correct? Is there any signage or do I need to be extra sharp? Any hints are appreciated.

And last, any trip reports from folks who have done this would be great!

Thanks!

Images

First off, I'd recommend you check with the local hiking club responsible for trail maintenance in the area. I think that's the Nantahala Hiking Club. Their web site with contact info is at --
    NHC

Secondly, my own experience about 3 or 4 years ago was that the Kimsey Creek Trail was not very well blazed, used, or maintained. Again, check with the local club for more up-to-date info.

My hiking partner and I hiked up the AT from Georgia to Deep Gap, where we took the KCT down to Standing Indian Campground. Or, I should say we tried to take the KCT down to the campground. The trail was overgrown and the blue blazing was very faded and gave out altogether while crossing the creek near the bottom in a maze of clearings and old tractor paths. We bushwhacked out to a road and road walked. In fairness, it was dark and foggy by then. Of course, that is the very time you need good blazing and cleared trail the most.

BTW, I'm not bad-mouthing the trail or the club, just giving you an honest report on the trail as we found (or didn't) it. I'd give the NHC very high marks for being responsive and helping me out before my hikes in their area. They even helped arrange a shuttle for me on my next section north out of Deep Gap.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks Rain Man. The link to the NHC is very helpful.

Images

The Long Branch Trail is no longer maintained, according to a trail club member we talked with in '05 (after we had spent several hours trying to come down the LBT in the pouring rain.) It was not a good experience -- massive blowdowns, washed out sections, overgrown and easy to lose in several places.

We had better experience with Kimsey Creek, but that was 6-7 years ago.

If you want to do a decent 3-day loop, go up the Long Branch trail from the parking area, head southbound on the AT to Deep Gap, and come back down Kimsey Creek. It's about 25 miles of nice hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

My preference is to do it the other way, but I don't remember Long Branch being in that bad of condition. I think it's been about one or two years since I did that loop.

Sherrill, I've always used the official AT map for hikes in that area. Don't have profiles for anything off of the AT, but if you know how to read a contour map that shouldn't be a big deal. You'll want the map that covers from Bly Gap to Fontana Dam.

Skidsteer, you out there, and have you been on the Long Branch recently?

While we're at it I'd like to crank up a three day trip on the Kimsey Creek - AT - Long Branch loop over the Labor Day weekend. Any takers?

Images

Camp near Betty Creek gap if you're tenting,
    Contact Ron Haven in Franklin.
    I looped Rock gap through Betty Creek gap, then back to Albert Mtn and Bear Pen trail,

there's an excellant map (non ATC) of the Nantahala Wilderness with all the trails, etc, I got mine at a local outfittters.

I bought A couple acrea near Elijay, near Springer Mountain, hope to one day build a cabin (after I thru...)
    I'd send you my map if we had time, I suspect they have them for sale at NOC>

Good Luck,
    Dough Nut

I live in Franklin and hike extensively in Standing Indian.

Long Branch and Kimsey Creek are indeed maintained and well signed.
    Both trails are in good shape and are easily hiked and have a gentle grade.

Long Branch is right across the road from the BCI parking area and Kimsey Creek starts in the campground, immediately to the right after crossing the bridge. You won't have any trouble finding either trail.

The Wayah District Ranger station on Sloan Road in Franklin has an excellent hiking map of the Standing Indian Basin area, if you are able to get by there. It's easy to find, in the western part of town. Any local can give you directions to the Ranger Station.

If you don't get a map, there is a map posted on the info board, at the back country information area. This is no substitute, of course for having a map, but you can orient yourself there.

If you have any further questions, shoot me a PM.
    ..guess I'll keep a livin' till the day I die...

www.trailjournals.com/chuck2008

Images

I hiked the exact loop you're talking about weekend before last. It's my favorite weekend hike on the AT.

The map I use is the AT map that covers Deep Gap to Fontana Dam. It shows the side trails in adequate detail. You should definitely bring a map because there are a number of side trails, plus Forest Service roads.

The only place I have really gotten confused is along the Kimsey Creek Trail. The sign in Deep Gap is clear enough. A little later, the KC Trail crosses another dirt road and runs alongside a small field, but the blue blazes don't show up again until you're walked a ways down into the woods.

Then, when you reach Standing Indian Campground, things start to deteriorate. Keep following the blue blazes, even then they seem to lead in the wrong direction. They are taking you back to your car, though in a roundabout way. Once you start having choices, chose the trails that lead towards the Backcountry Information Station, which is nothing more or less than that signboard you parked in front of.

It is a lovely hike. I hope you have a great time!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I would ditto Marta and Baxter's comments. To me, this is the best weekend loop in the Southern Nantahalas. I did the Long Branch, AT, Kimsey Creek loop last December and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to the trailhead late on Friday and stayed at Big Spring and then took a leisurely hike to the Standing Indian Shelter on Saturday. From there it is only about four miles back to the trail head.

I really appreciate everyone's input. All of it has been very helpful.

This was a spur of the moment idea after we found out we both could take extra time off before our close on the 26th. I've hiked the AT in this section and my maps are long misplaced, so I had planned on buying the NC/GA maps, good to know that the side trails are marked. Since we are going to be there on Easter Sunday the Ranger Station wasn't an option, unfortunately, and neither was buying maps locally or from the NHC because of the time frame.

Thanks again!

Images

If you get there during business hours, you might be able to pick up the map as you pass through Franklin, at the outfitters.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

These should be pretty well maintained and signed. When you take them, you will be on original AT from the initial design.

Then you get to compare and contrast to the current AT.

Campsite going up Long Branch trail depends on when you start your walk. You will only have a choice between the shelter north of Albert and points south of Albert including Betty Creek or even Carter Gap. This loop isn't hard to do in only 2 days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    I've hiked the AT in this section and my maps are long misplaced, so I had planned on buying the NC/GA maps, good to know that the side trails are marked. Since we are going to be there on Easter Sunday the Ranger Station wasn't an option, unfortunately, and neither was buying maps locally or from the NHC because of the time frame.
    I'm sure more than one of us could scan our AT maps of that area and email them to you, if you'd like.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

That's a very kind and generous offer, Rain Man, but I don't think you guys need to go to that trouble. I don't mind buying the AT maps for the GA/NC section since I want to revisit hikes in that area and should get up to date maps anyway.

That plus all the good info from you guys here, I think we're set. Plus, since the "herd" will be heading north in that area, I don't think we'll have any issues asking directions anyway!

The best map I have ever seen of this area is from National Geographic.
    Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I hiked the exact loop you're talking about weekend before last. It's my favorite weekend hike on the AT.

The map I use is the AT map that covers Deep Gap to Fontana Dam. It shows the side trails in adequate detail. You should definitely bring a map because there are a number of side trails, plus Forest Service roads.

The only place I have really gotten confused is along the Kimsey Creek Trail. The sign in Deep Gap is clear enough. A little later, the KC Trail crosses another dirt road and runs alongside a small field, but the blue blazes don't show up again until you're walked a ways down into the woods.

Then, when you reach Standing Indian Campground, things start to deteriorate. Keep following the blue blazes, even then they seem to lead in the wrong direction. They are taking you back to your car, though in a roundabout way. Once you start having choices, chose the trails that lead towards the Backcountry Information Station, which is nothing more or less than that signboard you parked in front of.

It is a lovely hike. I hope you have a great time!
    I am researching this trip and wanting to make sure I can find the BIS. Can you give more info about how or where to find it (the signboard) where we park. Thanks.

El Sordo
    Images

when you turn off Old Murphy HWY into the campground just follow the road til it forks, then go left. The BIS is on your right roughly .5 miles on a narrow, paved road. I'll be up there hiking this loop with some friends this weekend and we'll probably go up Kimsey Creek and come back to our cars via Long Branch. I usually just cut through the campground and pick up the trail on the other side of the campground. For whatever reason the Kimsey Creek trail leaves the road before the campground, loops up over a ridge, and then descends back to the level of the campground before finally beginning it's climb alongside Kimsey Creek.

This is a great hike with 3 shelters (4 if you include the old Carter Gap shelter), lots of good campsites, water and some great views from atop Standing Indian and Albert Mtn, assuming the weather stays as clears as it's been. I can see Hiawassee and Lake Chatuge from the clearing atop Standing Indian.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Thinking about doing this loop w/an AT newbie the weekend of 10/23. It should be a great intro to AT hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    The best map I have ever seen of this area is from National Geographic.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...56&postcount=5
    Last edited by veteran; 10-04-2010 at 10:45.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

This probably isn't news for anybody here. I stumbled upon the Kimsey Creek Trail this week when I needed to get to a public phone from the Standing Indian Shelter. It was the fastest way I saw.

What a nice trail. I really enjoyed it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++