WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Backpacking with a guitar???

Does anyone have experience with backpacking with a guitar? I'm considering bringing my Martin backpacker guitar that weighs in a little under 3 pounds on my thru-hike and I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep it dry and protected.

Images

I met a fellow in Maryland a mile or so before Pen Mar who was hiking South from Killington to Clingman's Dome with a guitar. He carried it in a hard case (that weighs quite a bit) holding it with a rope. He was not concerned with doing big miles, just hanging out and playing the guitar. Interesting guy.
    If you are planning a speedy hike, than don't bring one. If you want to take your time, go ahead. I would worry about the rain warping it.

I'm bringing a backpacker guitar on my thru too. Given the wetness and exposure, I'm just going to go ahead and resign myself to the fact that the guitar is gonna be THRASHED by the end of the thru. Its not really that big of a deal, I mean when are you going to use a backpacker guitar more thanon a thru hike. I just can't live without playing guitar for 5 months. It would kill me. So the guitar itself is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I'm carrying it in a soft case and I have sewn on pack clips to my pack to attach the soft case to my pack.

Peterawk
    History will not judge us on our so called "progress," but on what we allow to endure.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsKing007
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep it dry and protected.
    T-bird carried her little guitar to the top of Katahdin in an October snowstorm, and sang 'It's the End of the Trail As We Know It' to Pamola. She had one of those soft cases lashed to her pack.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 01-22-2004 at 12:39. Reason: Remembered I had a pic
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Takoma Ted

Takoma Ted carried his backpack with him in 2001. You might ask him about protecting it. He carried it carefully wrapped and strapped to his pack.

www.artofthetrail.com/takomatedd/body.html
    Last edited by Peaks; 01-22-2004 at 18:52. Reason: added website

Images

Does anyone have experience with backpacking with a guitar? I'm considering bringing my Martin backpacker guitar that weighs in a little under 3 pounds on my thru-hike and I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep it dry and protected.
    If you want to carry your guitar. I hiked a couple of days with Tuba Man a few years ago who had carried his tuba from Katahdin. Said his tuba proberly
    saved his life when it took the full impact from a fall.
    Rigormortis

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    T-bird carried her little guitar to the top of Katahdin in an October snowstorm, and sang 'It's the End of the Trail As We Know It' to Pamola. She had one of those soft cases lashed to her pack
    Hi TJ, That actually looks like a mandolin to me in the picture. They're smaller than guitars and would be easier to carry but probably more fragile than a Martin backpacker guitar. I've often fantasized about thruhiking and one of the things that holds me back is being away from music and my recording studio for months. It might do me a world of good, however, as in this stage of my life I need a break from NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyfreddy
    That actually looks like a mandolin to me in the picture.
    Doesn't it? Until I heard it played that's what thought. When I asked her what it was she said it was just a smaller guitar.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Maybe a Baby?

I have seen several people carry nice little Baby Taylors... Great Sound!

Quote Originally Posted by funkyfreddy
    Hi TJ, That actually looks like a mandolin to me in the picture. They're smaller than guitars and would be easier to carry but probably more fragile than a Martin backpacker guitar.
    Its actually a backpacker guitar called a "montana" made by the same company that makes Ovation and Takamine. Full length fretboard, solid wood top and sides. Weighs the same as the martin, but 1/2 the price, and sounds better IMHO. I'm carrying this model with some light elixir (gore coated) strings. I got mine for $65 brand new on ebay, case included!
    History will not judge us on our so called "progress," but on what we allow to endure.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default backpacker geeetar

Does anyone have experience with backpacking with a guitar? I'm considering bringing my Martin backpacker guitar.........protected.

Yo TK007:

the Martin Backpacker does come with a soft case...probably plastic of some sort.....you can always, just like a tent, "waterproof" it with spray!

i've played (if you wanna call it that) one of these....a bit "thin" (no pun intended) but, its better than no sounds, i guess.

"the Mad Musician" had a Martin Backpacker with him on his trek in 2002 (along with a gallon of whiskey!) & he serenaded us several nights...

see ya'll UP the trail!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

I don't have any experience hiking with a guitar but have seen a few. The people that had them enjoyed them at night and seem to hate them during the day. I did see one person hiking with a trombone. I will never forget that. He came into the area where we had camped and wanted to set up his tent. He had it strapped across the back of a frame pack. I asked why he did this. He looked at me like I was the dumest person he had ever seen and said "it is what I know how to play". He played it that night, he was very good but it was very strange hearing a trombone in the middle of nowhere on a trail.

Met 2 guys in the Shandandoahs in 2002, one with a guitar, the other a mandolin. They were thur-hikers, they said. Don't know how far they got but Christmas and Yogi said they saw them up in New York later that year still toting em.

I hike with my martin backpacker all the time. I dont take it in the snow or on summit hikes though. I'm working on making a lightweight wateproof case right now. The case should weigh less than a pound, bringing the extra burden of bringing my guitar up to 3.5 lbs. Normally I just wrap it in a garbage bag and my tarp for protection. Even with the guitar I'm carrying about a 14lb pack without food and water. I dont think I would bring it on a hike that required toting more than two days water though.

AT 2012

fluke flea. light. durable. fun.
    Lazarus

Images

On my cross-country hike way back when one guy brought a full-sized guitar. He ordered some pack cloth from Kelty and made a case for it to match his pack. Was just a fitted nylon case with zipper and a few pockets. He would just bungee cord the guitar to the back of his pack. It was very popular, and various hikers took turns carrying it. Whoever carried it got to play on breaks etc. At night, it was passed around a lot.

That guitar made it from SanFransisco to somewhere in Missourii where it got backed into by an auto while the pack was leaned up against a laundramat wall. It was then painstakingly glued together with Elmers and lasted another month or two before it's final demise and burrial. It retained surprising tone throughout, even after the auto accident.

Images

Last summer while hiking northern MA into southern VT we passed a southbounder who had boughta banjo along the way. He was carrying it in a cloth case of some kind.

Images

Finnegan was carrying a fiddle with him NOBO last year.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

We met C-shot that was carrying his on a thru this year. He carried it in heavy plastic. There is a picture of him on one of the Trail Days galleries. It was not fancy, he had drawn on it, but it was a nice addition to the one evening we spent with him and friends on our section hike in April.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by funkyfreddy View Post
    Hi TJ, That actually looks like a mandolin to me in the picture.
    Those are definitely not mandolins; they're backpacker guitars just not the Martin-made monstrosities.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    We met C-shot that was carrying his on a thru this year. He carried it in heavy plastic. (...) It was not fancy, he had drawn on it, but it was a nice addition to the one evening we spent with him and friends on our section hike in April.
    C-shot carried a 1/2-size kid's beginner guitar, as well as a couple of harmonicas (C, G and maybe D if I recall). Cheaper than a backpacker guitar by anyone; feels and sounds more like a guitar; although he had trouble keeping it in tune since it was a cheap instrument. When I hiked with him in the Whites he'd taken to storing it in 2 dry sacks, one big one for the bottom and a smaller one for the top. Oh, and the "drawing" on his guitar said: "This Machine Kills Fascists" -- same thing that Woody Guthrie wrote on his guitar.

I've carried both a mandolin and banjo on the trail. I don't recommend the so-called "backpacker" instruments at all. For a mandolin, I carried a cheap beginner A-style and a standard canvas gig bag. (Martin's backpacker mandolin neither feels nor sounds like a mandolin, it's expensive, and it's actually heavier than a standard A-style. By buying a cheap one, I could afford to replace it with another cheap one if it broke on the trail.) For waterproofing I used a standard garbage bag, wrapped around the mando before the mando went into the gig bag. Then the gig bag got strapped to my pack. For the banjo, I carried an old openback-style. It got strapped directly to my pack. For waterproofing I relied on my pack cover; it did get wet on occasion, but this season was dry for the most part.

This topic has been asked several times; see the following links for previous threads:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18758
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20202
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18692
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13298
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14111
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11155
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8917
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++