WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I took my 6 year old son on an overnight hike with the cub scouts to sleep in a cave a few weeks ago. He took a basic adult school backpack with a change of clothes, his sleeping bag and his bulky sleeping pad. He's a little guy for his age too. It was probably 10 lbs. The hike was about a mile in. He did fine and never complianed about his pack at all. In fact he ran and moved much faster than me.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    I took my 6 year old son on an overnight hike with the cub scouts to sleep in a cave a few weeks ago. He took a basic adult school backpack with a change of clothes, his sleeping bag and his bulky sleeping pad. He's a little guy for his age too. It was probably 10 lbs. The hike was about a mile in. He did fine and never complianed about his pack at all. In fact he ran and moved much faster than me.

Good for him! An AT long distance hiker in the making.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    Bug dope... was that mentioned? I especially liked Yellow Jacket's suggestion that she have a whistle and light.
    I was concerned about bug dope and bears on our trip last summer. Found this bug dope that was citronella based as supposedly safe for kids, left in the car because I was curious about bears and kids. Fortunately got neither skeeters nor bears.

My daughter (7) and I have been hiking her whole life. One of the special things i carry, now she carries is a blow up potty. http://www.potties.com/ I know you think ***. You will be here hero.

That is awesome! I think I need one as well! LOL

keep it fun,,, our family has been going camping, backpacking with our kid even when he was in the pack..... that was 20 years ago.. Now he's a forestry maj..

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by CursedKarma View Post
    My daughter (7) and I have been hiking her whole life. One of the special things i carry, now she carries is a blow up potty. http://www.potties.com/ I know you think ***. You will be her hero.
    Hey. Ultralight, packable, and doubles as a pillow and life raft.

Images

Lilac (her trail name) has been day hiking and car camping since she was two, and did her first overnight when she was 4. She's been carrying all her own gear since she was 7 or 8 -- clothing, sleeping bag and pad, water, snacks, and personal gear. (She's 17 now, and doesn't have a lot of spare time for hiking. But she still has the skills.)

She likes to carry books so she can hang out in camp in the evening and read. She also likes to journal. We always put a small stuffed animal (beanie baby) in her pack, and she sometimes still carries one <g>. She's using my Hennessey Hammock when we hike, and my wife and I use our Tarptent. Good combo for privacy (for all parties.) And she *loves* the hammock.

A headlamp is invaluable, even just a Photon light with the hat brim clip. A good rain shell and pants -- kids get wet and cold quick. Fleece hat and gloves, even in the summer. It can get chilly at night around camp. She likes camp shoes -- Crocs or some such are good. That way she can muck around in creeks and such.

Teach her what to do if you get separated. The first rule is to stay put ("hug a tree.") Then make yourself visible to rescuers (don't hide due to embarrassment.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I hope to still be hiking with Margaret when she is 17, and still be talking like she was 7.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I hope to still be hiking with Margaret when she is 17, and still be talking like she was 7.
    Dream on, JAK. Oh, well, maybe you will have all the luck. I hope so.

curious if anyone has hiked with an infant. my ole' lady and myself might do a hike this fall with our daughter who would be 10-11 months old at the time. sobo on the long trail starting at the border. any help would be great. especially the resupply points along the way.shuttles. best start time IYO no bugs/or extreme heat? if possible. what not to miss ,etc... would like to hear the pros and cons hiking with such a young child. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Dream on, JAK. Oh, well, maybe you will have all the luck. I hope so.
    I'll definitely be hedging my bet by keeping memories and making every day count.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    curious if anyone has hiked with an infant. my ole' lady and myself might do a hike this fall with our daughter who would be 10-11 months old at the time. sobo on the long trail starting at the border. any help would be great. especially the resupply points along the way.shuttles. best start time IYO no bugs/or extreme heat? if possible. what not to miss ,etc... would like to hear the pros and cons hiking with such a young child. thanks
    That's a really good question and I would like to hear also.
    I'm sure its been done. I'm just curious about some issues, and how much farther away from 'civilization' might be considered safe enough as they reach different milestones, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, etc. Poopy diapers wouldn't concern me too much. Fear of the unknown is the parents biggest I think, especially with the first one. I remember us leaving the hospital for the first time with Margaret and thinking, what are these people, nuts? Where's the security in this place? Then us running for the car before they changed their mind, even though we knew we hadn't two clues to rub together between the two of us. I understand the second one is not so bad.

We are expecting a third child in November and I am already starting to look at child carriers or day hikes. MY wife looks at me like I am nuts!

I think at that age day hikes would be fine. Not sure yet about doing any overnight trips. Not sure how I feel about being away from help with a child thay young.

I also would love to hear some other stories about trips with young kids like that.

Default What a blast!

Just got back from taking my granddaughter who is 2 1/2 on an overnight. I have to say she walked the 1 1/2 miles in and 1 1/2 miles out on her own carrying her "pack". She carried a change of socks and underwear, her poncho, snacks, 16 oz water, and a few wmergency items. Total weight of her pack was 4 lbs. She did a wonderful job with no whinning or dragging but. We averaged an hour for each trip which I had anticipated longer. She searched for pine cones and would pick them up and carry them till we found a "family" of pine cones so that she could reunite them. We had a blast and would have stayed out an additional day but the rain got to us. She did not like the fact that she could not go out and play. I can't wait till we go again.
    :cool: Just think about the possibilities!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by angel2cdwings View Post
    Just got back from taking my granddaughter who is 2 1/2 on an overnight. I have to say she walked the 1 1/2 miles in and 1 1/2 miles out on her own carrying her "pack". She carried a change of socks and underwear, her poncho, snacks, 16 oz water, and a few wmergency items. Total weight of her pack was 4 lbs. She did a wonderful job with no whinning or dragging but. We averaged an hour for each trip which I had anticipated longer. She searched for pine cones and would pick them up and carry them till we found a "family" of pine cones so that she could reunite them. We had a blast and would have stayed out an additional day but the rain got to us. She did not like the fact that she could not go out and play. I can't wait till we go again.
    Cool, where did you guys go, if I might ask??

Went to Stover Creek. Nice and easy for the first time out. A few down trees and rocks made for an enjoyable game for her when she got to them. Life couldn't be better for me right now!
    :cool: Just think about the possibilities!

I took my kids (son 11 and daughter 6) day hiking over the weekend in GSMNP. they loved it. We hiked about 8 miles total on thursday and 5 on friday. I just let them set the pace.

Went camping this weekend with the family at Fall Creek Falls. Did some day hiking in Saturday with my daughters. I let my oldest try out her pack loaded with what she would carry on a overnight trip. Her pack weight with 1 liter of water was right around 8lbs. We went about 1 1/2 miles and she had no problem at all. After that we hiked down to the base of Fall Creek Falls which is 1/2 mile and prety steep going down. I did not have her carry her pack but she did it no problem. This was the first test with her new pack and shoes. I would ask her about every 10 minutes if she was hurting anywhere. She never did have any pain or discomfort. The pack worked great for her and she had no issues with the weight. We are shooting for out first overnighter in May. Looking at doing about 3 miles in.

After this weekend she is all excited about going again!

Went to a sugar bush with the kids today. It wasn't much of a hike, but it was woodsy. Definitely need to make more room for pancakes next time. Lots of leftovers to eat when kids are full of maple candy on snow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++