WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Aluminum Foil Cooking

I was looking at the Bass Pro Shop’s web site to see when the Toledo store will open. I drive buy it almost every day and its looks close to being done. I will soon have a new place to suck up more of my money.

But I ran across this article on cooking with foil and thought I would post a link to it. Nothing earth shaking, but interesting none the less.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&&mode=article&objectID=28541&cat=Camping&subcatI D=17&objectType=article&cmid=OLARTICLE_28541_TITLE

Images

We used to do this all the time in scouts. Fun and easy cooking. And lining a pot sounds like a good idea when it comes time to clean up - toting a left over foil liner is probably lighter than the amount of water it would have taken to wash the pot.
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz-mataz View Post
    And lining a pot sounds like a good idea when it comes time to clean up - toting a left over foil liner is probably lighter than the amount of water it would have taken to wash the pot.
    Would there be any heat loss if you line your pot with aluminum foil?

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post

Panzer
    Probably not much but your pot would get a LOT hotter without being in contact with the fluid.

Images

We used to do this all the time in scouts. Fun and easy cooking. And lining a pot sounds like a good idea when it comes time to clean up - toting a left over foil liner is probably lighter than the amount of water it would have taken to wash the pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post

Panzer
    Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Probably not much but your pot would get a LOT hotter without being in contact with the fluid.
    Note, the pot technique is more useful when car camping / cooking for more than one person. Especially if one is doing semireal cooking, not boil-n-meal stuff, but not hard core cooking (say whipping up a rue for biscuits and gravy). It's useful when cooking for a complete patrol. It's not that it eliminates clean up it just makes it far simpler / cleaner as most of the burned-on-griminess that can often result when camping is on the aluminum and very little (mostly juices) get out to the pot.

As far as heat / heat loss goes. Neither is too appreciable.

Also, there are only certain cooking styles that lend it self to this. And you would probably want to be using nylon cooking utensils.

Oh, and yes, the real beauty of this is the cook-in-coals meals... man, there's very little that tastes better in the outdoors.

In scouts we got very creative with what we cooked in foil. We loved it for the lack of cleanup.

I used to cook almost every meal in aluminum foil in the coals... But I heard something recently that foil cooking was supposed to be bad for you somehow... Is this true?

I still do fries on the grill at home in Al foil.

If its bad for you, then it might explain my craziness

I never cook my aluminum foil. I like it crunchy. Maintains more nutrients, too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I never cook my aluminum foil. I like it crunchy. Maintains more nutrients, too.
    Cook it with a lil' bit of Headman's country sauce with some ol' hickory logs, the skin of the Al foil will be crunchy with a very pleasant aftertaste!

++ New Posts ++