WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    Thanks for saying this early in the thread. You set a precedence that was needed.
    Ok everybody... anyone find A-1 sauce? I can't remember where.
    Have you checked the minimus.biz link posted here a couple times? They seem to have just about everything.

See http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=351

Question Not always the hikers' fault...

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    Why in the world do people take a hundred creamers or ketchup packets, only use 2, and then leave the rest on the table.
    Why do the fast food staff always give you a hundred packs of ketchup, salt, ________ (fill in the blank) when you only want one?

Images

I found packets of honey mustard and little plastic containers of marinara sauce at White Castle. They also have that spicy brown mustard.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Images

Most grocery stores that sell prepackaged sandwiches from the deli section have packets of mayo and mustard. I always take one more than I need to build up a reserve supply to take hiking. It's not cool to take more than a few of anything thats free.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Default Trans Siberian

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    That reminded me of the time i was skiing at Killington (Bear Mtn) and was watching these two Russian guys. They would take the free saltines, put the free pickled relish on top, then a little ketchup and eat it, then go get some creamers and wash them down.

After a little while, they sat near me with a whole bunch of the above things, I heard them speaking Russian and started talking to them as i was heading to Russia in a few more months on a trip across on the trans-siberian train.

After talking about what a great country America is with all the free condiments and stuff then they said: "What do you want to go there for? and What are you going to eat when you get there" I must say it scared me a bit and saw myself ready to take some of those relish and saltine packs with me for the trip.
    Turned out to be a great trip full of nice people.
    I have read about that train,seen a PBS program documenting the trip, and now to run into someone on WB who has actually done it is kind of amazing. Small world I guess. I have always been told that the Russian people out in the countryside are salt of the earth. I am sure it was a wonderful experience.

be advised....the stuff at kfc is honey sauce, not honey.
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Why do the fast food staff always give you a hundred packs of ketchup, salt, ________ (fill in the blank) when you only want one?

Right, and only one tiny little napkin.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thumbs up Restaurant supplies...

When I finally get it together to do the big thru-hike, I'm going to contact a local restaurant supply company and buy case lots of the condiments I need. They offer catsup, mayo, honey, bbq sauce, etc., at reasonable prices. Just check out the yellow pages, Google, whatever. These companies are located in every city & town and are happy to sell to anyone with the $$$.

Images

Costco has cases of these condiments if you want 1000 of them.

The thing that I've been looking for is the lemon juice packets.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    The thing that I've been looking for is the lemon juice packets.
    Get them right here: http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=247

Noticed they also have various of the packets you'd need to stock a hiker first aid kit too, good thing as some of what I have getting out dated.

Images

Just an FYI for everyone - the "honey" at KFC isn't really honey. If you look at the package it is labeled "honey sauce". Mostly sugary syrup made to taste like honey. My dad raised honey bees while I was growing up - believe me there is a difference, and I don't like the artificial stuff. Give me the good stuff - straight from the bee.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Default They do to !!

Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Default honey, straight from the bee

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Just an FYI for everyone - the "honey" at KFC isn't really honey. If you look at the package it is labeled "honey sauce". Mostly sugary syrup made to taste like honey. My dad raised honey bees while I was growing up - believe me there is a difference, and I don't like the artificial stuff. Give me the good stuff - straight from the bee.
    I tried that... it took a week for the swelling in my lips to go down
    Oh jeez! are we near the crest yet?

Lemon juice packets? Use True Lemon packets instead - it is a powdered version. Awesome stuff! And found in many grocery stores along with the lime and orange versions.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post

Yeah I never understood that. It's actually kind of wasteful because no one actually uses them all and most people end up throwing them away instead of saving them.

Images

I think Carraba's has the biggest olive oil packets.They always put a few in the bag of to go orders (for the dipping bread) that comes with the order.
    Patrick

Talking Adds to the campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by tina.anderson View Post
    Yeah I never understood that. It's actually kind of wasteful because no one actually uses them all and most people end up throwing them away instead of saving them.
    I think that is how John Kerry financed his presidentiakl campaign. After all, he is married to Theresa HEINZ Kerry. All those extra, unused Heinz catsup packets had to be paid for..,.where do you think the money went?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++