WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I don't know that I have any "one" reason. There are a lot of them. I admit there are some days I ask myself "why am I doing this"....then, I see or experience something special and I know why.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

Because "out There" is better than "in here"!
    Moses

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    Because "out There" is better than "in here"!
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Your family and friends don't understand your desire to "leave it all behind" while you go hiking and in fact, some of them suspect you're daft.
    Exactly. I keep coming back to hang out with some people who don't think I'm daft. They're kinda hard to find.

Birds of a feather my friend.

I'm not sure, but usually begin planing the next trip on the ride home.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    They're kinda hard to find.
    very true
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    So, you say you like backpacking.
    So much so that you go out in the cold of winter, the scortching heat of summer, the wet and windy spring time and the fall with all that it brings. You spend day after day unshowered, unkempt, and wearing the same dirty clothes. You slog through trails covered with water, mud and snow while carrying a considerable weight on your back. Your family and friends don't understand your desire to "leave it all behind" while you go hiking and in fact, some of them suspect you're daft.

Now, tell me why you keep returning to backpacking.
    Because I can see beauty that the city will never be able to provide. I don't have to hear sirens, horns, helicopters and deal with traffic. I don't have to see people die or hear the cries of their loved ones when it happens. I can truly understand what "peace of mind" means when I'm "out there" somewhere.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I like what someone said about their soul wanting to be nearer to God....and with them it may not be a choice. (Please forgive me for not remembering the name.) I like the physical and mental challenges also, even when I do groan.

Just got back last night from a loop backpacking trip in the Shenandoahs. VERY,VERY foggy, wet, chilly, gray....however, another great learning experience. The worst part was driving on Skyline Drive to get there....had to go SLOW so as not to hit anything since it was so foggy. Still got some great pics.

I do get anxious and lonely out there at times. But I still love it.
    mini-m.

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    as i told someone not too long ago...the wildnerness, nature and the mountains are all my 'church'....
    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Yes, yes, it is where I feel closest to the grand Artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    In the woods, I'm surrounded by God made things. I'm not sure I have the choice, it may be my soul wanting to be nearer to God than anything I can figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Mosey View Post
    I like what someone said about their soul wanting to be nearer to God
    There is that theme for sure.

I can say this: I enjoy the physical effort, the fact that I have my world in my pack, 2 straps across my shoulders and x number of miles to walk. I don’t particularly enjoy humping a 30-40 pound ruck up and down mountains. I think most backpackers if they are honest, will agree with that. What I do enjoy is the feeling of being in the woods, hiking fast, putting that pack down at the end of the day and setting up at a nice campsite. There’s a feeling of accomplishing a simple satisfying act. That’s what brings me back to the trail year after year since 1975 and that’s what people who are tied to their warm houses and daily routines don’t understand. You have to pity those folks a bit. They’re missing out on a lot.

Images

After this past weekend hike, what keeps me coming back is I doggone completely missed the trail I intended to hike! Never been to Shinning Rock Wilderness before and as it turns out the trail I wanted was across the bridge from the trailhead parking (no trail signs whatsoever in Wilderness areas). So I took a "sucker trail" down the wrong side of the river, and after two hours and realizing something wasn't right, wound up bushwacking to get on another trail and execute Plan B! I need to go back and hike the trail I meant to!

See Other Trails for more detail on my Shinning Rock Wilderness experience and photos in my gallery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++