WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question How 2 carry 2 yr old and gear

I'm very interested to take my 2 yr old on a father daughter overnight this year.

I have a child carrier that I take her in for dayhikes, but it's not beefy enough to carry her and overnight gear. Does anyone have any idea how to carry a 2 yr old AND overnight gear?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Peace Be With You

I took Margaret on dayhikes when she was ultralight.
    She went up shoulders most of the time, but I think a front carrier is the way to go for sure.

2010 complete

boy, this brings back memories. I had a toddler, and I decided that I wasn't carrying diapers in or out. He got potty trained on the trail, and there were repercussions when we returned home. The child would run out of the house to pee from the back door. And if we were downtown, he just went whenever and wherever he had the urge. It took forever to get him to use the toilet.

JAK - thanks for the note.

The front baby carrier be have (a Baby Bjorn) is only rated up to 22 lbs. She's 30 lbs now. The other issue carrier her on front is that it tears me up physically. It pulls on my shoulders, neck muscles and everything in ways they aren't used to.

My body is used to carrying loads on my back. She'll need to go on my back along with my gear.
    Peace Be With You

2010 complete

for us, I don't think gear was an issue. We had 3 kids, ages 2,4 and 5. I believe I carried the 2 yr old on my hip as normal. My husband carried the 4 yr old and the 5 year old walked. They all did some walking. It just takes longer to do the hike.

Yowza. That's quite the toddler ya got there. The main issue I have with back carriers is I can't see them and I'm worried about what state their neck might be in. Is there no way you can make a front carrier that attaches to the shoulder straps of your backpack? I wouldn't worry about ratings on front carriers, because you can see them and judge for yourself. I always worry about rear carriers regardless of ratings.

How much gear weight and volume do you have and how big are you?

Tell you what I did. I had a light weight rear carrier that I never trusted on my back but it worked well on my front. Margaret still fit in it not to long ago, but a tallish 3-5 year old 30-40 pounder would fit in something a 2 year old 30 pounder might not. Margaret walked much of the time even then, went up shoulders now and then to rest and navigate, and went in the front carrier when she wanted to sleep as I hiked. She was pretty light though, and I am fairly big, and wasn't so overweight then. Also it was only day hikes so gear weight volume wasn't much of an issue. We covered alot of ground though, her and I.

I had a friend that had a rear carrier that was integrated as a backpack. I doubt it was rated to 30 pound size. I thought it was rather heavy, and limited to infants, and I didn't like not being able to see back there unless you were hiking with a partner.

You probably have to find your own solution, and with a front carrier it is easier to do so without worries. If your gear weight is not too much you could consider carrying the gear in front or some of the gear in front, and whatever proven rear carrier you are comfortable with on the back.

That front carrier I had worked both ways, her facing forward and her facing towards me. It was a very simple design and could easily be DIY. I would never make a rear carrier DIY, but I think a basic front carrier is pretty safe as you can keep an eye on them there. Biggest issue in front is their leg circulation I think. The choking worry goes away once you can see them. Once she was older I only used it facing towards me as I only carried her in it when she was sleeping. I didn't carry her more than a km at a time up shoulders either because it was as hard on here legs muscles circulation as it was on my shoulder muscle circulation. Anyhow, we never went so deep that I couldn't carry her straight out if I had to, but I did think about what a good solution would be for overnights, but never did it. Now at 8 and still only 50 pounds she can outhike me if she wants to and I can still carry her if I had to, but we don't need any sort of carrier.

I have no problem carrying up to 50 lbs on my back. We won't be doing full day's - double digit miles. Will probably wind up going 5 or 6 miles out and than back the next day.

I won't be having anyone with me, so will need to carry all our gear.
    Peace Be With You

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That front carrier I had worked both ways, her facing forward and her facing towards me. It was a very simple design and could easily be DIY. I would never make a rear carrier DIY, but I think a basic front carrier is pretty safe as you can keep an eye on them there. Biggest issue in front is their leg circulation I think. The choking worry goes away once you can see them.

I have a front carrier as well and have used it very sucessfully in the past.

I really don't want to debate the merits of her being on my back or front because I've hiked with her on both and know the upside and downside of both.

I really looking for a way to carry her on my back along with my gear for an overnight.
    Peace Be With You

Images

Do you have a child carrier like a Tough Traveller Stallion or the biggest Kelty? You could carry her in that, stuff the bottom with clothes, food and diapers, then strap sleeping pad, tent and sleeping bag on the outside. My ancient tough traveller has a couple of straps that I threaded with other straps to attach anything that wouldn't fit inside. Also, use the biggest fanny pack you can find and carry your water and snacks (and don't forget the camera) within easy reach. You'll end up looking and feeling like a pack mule, but who cares?

Another thought is to take a shorter hike, use a regular backpack, and have your daughter walk. If she's unbearably slow, throw her up on your shoulders. It's not too painful for a mile or two.
    We'll have to go out through the kitchen.

Images

I have seen Kelty kid packs (back) dayhiking in Acadia. I am not sure of the size of the child, but it looked like enough stuff with him/her for an overnight. Some of the trails around here, I am always suprised I see so few helmets on kids in packs.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Sisters View Post
    I have a front carrier as well and have used it very sucessfully in the past.

I really don't want to debate the merits of her being on my back or front because I've hiked with her on both and know the upside and downside of both.

I really looking for a way to carry her on my back along with my gear for an overnight.
    I hear you. I still have no idea how much gear you have though.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We had the Tough Traveller Stallion and took Paul Bunyan when he was nine months old on his first backapck overnighter. But I carried him and my hubby carried everything else in his humungo backpack.

If you want to go, I'd have someone else go along. And make it a summer hike so the gear isn't too heavy.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Another idea is to get a good child carrier with as much storage capacity as possible, and make your trip into the campsite a relatively short one (a couple of miles or so). Make a couple of trips from your car to your campsite, since even the largest carriers don't really have enough storage space for everything an adult and a child both need.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose View Post
    Do you have a child carrier like a Tough Traveller Stallion or the biggest Kelty? You could carry her in that, stuff the bottom with clothes, food and diapers, then strap sleeping pad, tent and sleeping bag on the outside. My ancient tough traveller has a couple of straps that I threaded with other straps to attach anything that wouldn't fit inside. Also, use the biggest fanny pack you can find and carry your water and snacks (and don't forget the camera) within easy reach. You'll end up looking and feeling like a pack mule, but who cares?

Another thought is to take a shorter hike, use a regular backpack, and have your daughter walk. If she's unbearably slow, throw her up on your shoulders. It's not too painful for a mile or two.

I agree with this one. I went out with a couple and their child and the woman carried quite a bit of gear in addition to her little girl. Check out her fotog. BTW, to do this her husband had to carry a monstrous load:

++ New Posts ++