WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Leg Chafing

Images

Not knocking the suggestion of Body Glide or compression shorts, I've heard they work well.

For me, however, on the occasions when chafing has been a problem, frequent washing and rinsing (2 or 3 times during the day - and definitely each evening) and liberal applications of Gold Bond solved the problem quickly.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Loose boxers
    Loose shorts/pants
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

If you wear jogging shorts the type that are real short they manage to keep your legs from rubbing..

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    mmm.... well, maybe if you put it on before...
    Well, for guys there is a downside to compression shorts, regardless of brand (I like UnderArmor). I have used diaper creme as my version of body glide, and it has worked quite well. Before I learned about using a creme, I almost had a section hike ended. Walking spread legged doesn't make for very good mileage.

An outfitter in Franklin diagnosed the problem as I walked in (the one near the bypass, across from the Winn Dixie) and took very good care of me. Hike saved.

Ask any bartender, waiter, people that walk alot for their job and most will tell you CORN STARCH prevents and dries any chafing quickly and keeps it that way. I always have a small pouch of it in my pack light and inexpensive. Just don't get it confused with pancake mix. (Another story)
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

I now wear nothing but REI underwear... OH Wait - Wrong Link....TRY HERE!!!!
    Seriously, I started wearing the REI men's boxer along with Body Glide and have cut down any problems tremendously. If I do end up with a painful problem (usually in long hot dry summer days) I carry a small tube of Beaudreaux's butt paste to stop the pain. Beaudreaux doesn't smell all cod-oil-fishy like Desitin does (I need no raccoons sniffing my butt.)
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Walmart Armour has some nice compression shorts that were 10 or 11 bucks.

Images

FYI. Under Armour boxer jocks are not like a jock. They have more of a pouch cut, and run a tad smaller than Under Armour boxer briefs.

Expensive. Might buy one to try to make sure none of the seams line up in a bad spot.

Images

It's funny - but this stuff actually works.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.html
    It's a great day to be alive !

I too have muscular legs from football weightlifting and I have a problem with chafing when I hike.

I use Vaseline (small amount as possible) and my personal preference is compression shorts made by New Balance (for runners, which I am as well).

I also try to use Gold Bond powder and wipes at the [U]first[U] sign of chafing.

Lots of good suggestions here, some of which I'm going to try myself. I think it's (unfortunately) a matter of experiencing which works best for you, which sometimes leads to a Monty Python funny walk!

What works for me is Avon’s Vita Moist hand cream with Aloe. I only need to apply it once a day to have it work all day.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Problem with Petroleum Jelly

The problem with Petroleum jelly is that it blocks your pores as well, and can/will result in infected hair follicles. If you haven't experienced this in a normal chaffing area .... well ..... you just haven't lived!

It works well for monkey butt, however.

Body glide can do the same thing during the long term.

Hydropel is a bit different in that it has an anti sweat agent in the mix.

I use the compression shorts myself.

Images

Just do what I do, walk on your hands!

Vaseline is the best answer. I've worn it for roofing, playing softball all week in July, with compression shorts that didn't help. Mine were old and wore out though. Vaseline is great, put it on before it gets to the point of chafing. Just assume that it will happen if you're walking all day. It could be a great "going away" activity for your girlfriend. She'll have something to remember you by.

Images

i'd suggest ditching the hiking pants and trying some track pants (nylon or poly running pants)...

Images

Something else that no one has mentioned yet. Periodically rinse down your thighs, or whereever you're chaffing, to get the built up salt and sweet off.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Something else that no one has mentioned yet. Periodically rinse down your thighs, or whereever you're chaffing, to get the built up salt and sweet off.
    i think he's telling you to pee in your pants to rinse off sweet and salty bar snacks?

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Going without underwear did not work for me, in fact "top of the thigh" chafing seemed to happen sooner.

Body Glide works, but after a few days on the trail, that area can get downright funky. Sometimes I think Body Glide is the same as that "red stuff" in petri dishes without the red dye.

Compression shorts worked for me; however, it introduced another problem. Butt cheek chafing, as they tend to squeeze your butt checks together. Not sure what is worst. Both suck.

For the past 3-4 trips, I have used a pair of semi-loose boxer briefs (smartwool) and that seems to have solved all of my issues. Prevents "top of the thigh" chafing as well as not causing "butt cheek" chafing.

Really you have to find what works for your body. Good luck!
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know Paul Bunyan and others we talked to went commando for a while til the weight came off and then he wore Ex Officio under the convertible pants. My hubby likes his kilt.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I now wear nothing but REI underwear... OH Wait - Wrong Link....TRY HERE!!!!
    Seriously, I started wearing the REI men's boxer along with Body Glide and have cut down any problems tremendously. If I do end up with a painful problem (usually in long hot dry summer days) I carry a small tube of Beaudreaux's butt paste to stop the pain. Beaudreaux doesn't smell all cod-oil-fishy like Desitin does (I need no raccoons sniffing my butt.)
    Exactly! REI boxers work! I imagine Patagagonia, Mountain Hardware or any other non cotton hiking specific boxers would do as well.
    The only item made of cotton that is worth a damn is the trusty, multi-use bandana...although if you live in Arizona cotton is a great fiber "because" it's hydrophilic. Cotton underwear hold sweat.
    Chaffing is largely caused by the salt crystals in your sweat accumilating in an area of friction (thighs) and rubbing you like sand paper.
    I have suffered from chaffing and vowed then that I would never suffer like that again.
    I wear REI boxers, and carry a smal tube of Beaudreaux's Butt Paste and a small thing of medicated Gold Bond powder ( both contain zinc oxide )
    I live in the south and the heat and humidity make chaffing a real PITA.
    I started carrying "Nice & Clean" individual antibacterial wipes and use them for cleaning my hands and they're nice to wipe the funk off when it's hot..another use is to keep the nether regions free of built up sweat salts.
    They're pretty lightweight and it's nice to atleast feel clean.
    Anyway...I haven't suffered again from chaffing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++